Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Omega-3 versus Omega-6? Advice please

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Omega-3 versus Omega-6? Advice please

by Dave R » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:14 pm

My family has a history of heart disease so, in addition to other things, I take an Omega-3 capsule twice per day. This week I noticed that I was running low on Omega-3 and went to the store to buy another bottle. Next to the normal fish oil Omega-3 bottle of capsules I normally purchase, I noticed a bottle that offered both Omega-3 and Omega-6. Of course the 3&6 bottle was more expensive so I thought I would ask the fine people here what they know about Omega-6, if they take it and what are the benefits/drawbacks.

Thanks
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Omega-3 versus Omega-6? Advice please

by Maria Samms » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:31 pm

David,

Here is an article that explains the differences of the two.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400149

Mainly the differences are this:

In general, hormones derived from the two classes of essential fatty acids have opposite effects. Those from omega-6 fatty acids tend to increase inflammation (an important component of the immune response), blood clotting, and cell proliferation, while those from omega-3 fatty acids decrease those functions. Both families of hormones must be in balance to maintain optimum health.

The article goes on to say that you need equal amounts of Omega 3 and Omega 6 and that in modern diet we get lots of Omega 6 and hardly any Omega 3.

Because my family's diet definitely lacks in Omega 3 (especially my son who can not have fish, eggs, or nuts) I supplement a lot with Canola oil which contains large amounts of Omega 3. Other sources now include the "smart foods" such as yogurts containing DHA and baby formulas containing DHA and RHA (also found in breast milk)...DHA is a "building block for hormones that control immune function, blood clotting, and cell growth as well as components of cell membranes."

Probably more than you wanted to know...LOL, but definitely go for the Omega 3 supplement.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:51 pm

Omega-6 unsaturated fats are the precursors of prostaglandins and other signal compounds of the immune and inflammatory system that are linked to coronary artery disease. Omega-3 unsaturated fats are beneficial because they are competitive inhibitors that bind on the enzymes that synthesize the O-6 signal compounds, but can't create the signal compounds because the unsaturated bond is in the wrong place.

Those O-6 derived signal compounds are essential to good health. That is why aspirin (which blocks some of the enzymes essential for producing prostaglandins) is poisonous if taken in excess.

If most of your fat intake is exclusively from land animals, you're likely getting more O-6 than you should at the expense of O-3.

But note well that a diet exclusive in O-3 fats, with no O-6, is also hazardous. Those inflammatory system signal compounds are there for a reason, after all.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:40 pm

Maria Samms wrote:David,

Here is an article that explains the differences of the two.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400149

Mainly the differences are this:

In general, hormones derived from the two classes of essential fatty acids have opposite effects. Those from omega-6 fatty acids tend to increase inflammation (an important component of the immune response), blood clotting, and cell proliferation, while those from omega-3 fatty acids decrease those functions. Both families of hormones must be in balance to maintain optimum health.

The article goes on to say that you need equal amounts of Omega 3 and Omega 6 and that in modern diet we get lots of Omega 6 and hardly any Omega 3.

Because my family's diet definitely lacks in Omega 3 (especially my son who can not have fish, eggs, or nuts) I supplement a lot with Canola oil which contains large amounts of Omega 3. Other sources now include the "smart foods" such as yogurts containing DHA and baby formulas containing DHA and RHA (also found in breast milk)...DHA is a "building block for hormones that control immune function, blood clotting, and cell growth as well as components of cell membranes."

Probably more than you wanted to know...LOL, but definitely go for the Omega 3 supplement.

Thanks Maria!
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:50 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Omega-6 unsaturated fats are the precursors of prostaglandins and other signal compounds of the immune and inflammatory system that are linked to coronary artery disease. Omega-3 unsaturated fats are beneficial because they are competitive inhibitors that bind on the enzymes that synthesize the O-6 signal compounds, but can't create the signal compounds because the unsaturated bond is in the wrong place.

Those O-6 derived signal compounds are essential to good health. That is why aspirin (which blocks some of the enzymes essential for producing prostaglandins) is poisonous if taken in excess.

If most of your fat intake is exclusively from land animals, you're likely getting more O-6 than you should at the expense of O-3.

But note well that a diet exclusive in O-3 fats, with no O-6, is also hazardous. Those inflammatory system signal compounds are there for a reason, after all.

-Paul W.

Paul,

Your knowledge is always impressive.

Thanks for sharing.