Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: brandy snaps

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

RCP: brandy snaps

by Celia » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Ok, so Mrs Fields calls them Brown Buttercrunch Cookies, but I call them brandy snaps, even if there is no brandy in them. Quite a different recipe to the traditional Australian one, but very nice, and quite easy to make (...<groan>...she says, optimistically..)

brandysnaps.jpg

1 stick (1/2 cup or 125g) salted butter, softened
1/2 cup corn syrup
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup old-fashioned oats (I didn't have these, so I used quick oats, which the recipe said not to use, but it was still ok)
3/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In medium saucepan, melt butter, corn syrup and sugar over moderate heat, stir constantly until sugar melts, then increase heat and bring to boil. When mixture boils, remove from heat and stir in oats, flour and vanilla.

(Note : Original recipe at this point calls for baking one sheet at a time, then rolling them up and then dipping the ends in chocolate ganache. I didn't bother, I just baked them in a big batch, and left them flat.)

Drop teaspoonfuls of mix 3" apart (original recipe actually called for half tsps, but I got lazy), then bake for 8 minutes until mixture spreads, bubbles, and begins to brown. Take out of oven and let cool for a couple of minutes until set enough to handle (will still be soft, but not the very soft it was when you took it out of the oven). Then transfer to cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: RCP: brandy snaps

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:01 pm

celia wrote:even if there is no brandy in them.

No brandy? :(
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Ok, Celia...stop trying to make me huge!! :lol:

Seriously, girl, you are the baker queen! I love your recipes! TFS.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:31 pm

These look great. I have a seven year old grandson visiting me for three days next week...gotta make these! Thanks
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:02 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:
celia wrote:even if there is no brandy in them.

No brandy? :(

They gave me grief about that in the chatroom this morning... :roll:

I have no idea why they're called brandy snaps. Maybe it's the colour ? I've never been able to make them work well in the past, but it seems to be much better with the oats in it. Plus I've given up all attempts to roll them around the end of a wooden spoon, and now just scoff them as flat cookies.

Maria, there is no way you could be huge, girl ! And Karen, I hope they work - then I'll feel like we've traded recipes (am making your Kabuli chana dal again next week..) :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:47 pm

These look really good. Other recipes that I've seen do have a tablespoon or two of brandy in them.

-Paul W.