Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Soup de Jour of the Day

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Soup de Jour of the Day

by Howie Hart » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Sometimes there is an assortment of leftovers, that, when put together, make a nice soup. Today was one such day. I started by cooking some dried navy beans in the pressure cooker with meaty pork bones, left over from making sausage a few weeks ago. In the big pot, I put in some leftover French onion soup from Thursday's dinner, half a leftover rotisserie chicken meat (cubed) from the supermarket and a box of frozen spinach. When the beans and pork were done, I added the beans and chopped up the pork and added it. Then, I had half a big Tupperware bowl of salad, that my son inadvertently placed in the back entranceway where it froze, into the soup. This was simply a bagged iceberg salad with red onion, green pepper, tomatoes, celery and mushrooms added. I seasoned it with some crushed red pepper and garlic and simmered for an hour. Topped with some grated Romano - quite tasty.
Soup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Soup de Jour of the Day

by Dave R » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:43 pm

Looks and sounds wonderful, Howie. Often times a combination of leftovers make a cumulative better dish.

Great tablecloth as well.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:00 pm

Soup du Jour, Howie. Jour is masculine so you can't have "de la" as it qualifies feminine words. The French don't say "de le" (which would be the masculine form of "de la") as it is awkward. Therefore, they contract "de le" into "du". Hence, 'soup du jour'. I'm sorry that I'm such a prick.

The soup looks fantastic, though.

rwj
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Soup DU Jour of the Day

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:16 pm

Robert J. wrote:Soup du Jour, Howie. Jour is masculine so you can't have "de la" as it qualifies feminine words. The French don't say "de le" (which would be the masculine form of "de la") as it is awkward. Therefore, they contract "de le" into "du". Hence, 'soup du jour'. I'm sorry that I'm such a prick.

rwj
Thanks, robert. I actually took 2 years of French in high school, but don't remember a thing. I'll get it right next time. :wink:
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:38 pm

Robert J. wrote:Soup du Jour, Howie. Jour is masculine so you can't have "de la" as it qualifies feminine words. The French don't say "de le" (which would be the masculine form of "de la") as it is awkward. Therefore, they contract "de le" into "du". Hence, 'soup du jour'. I'm sorry that I'm such a prick.

rwj

The forum kitchen means never having to say your sorry. (about being a food geek.)
Howard
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:25 pm

Piling on the pedant points:

"du Jour" means "of the Day", so "Soup du Jour of the Day" belongs in the Department of Redundancy Department, along with "ATM Machine" (ATM means "Automated Teller Machine", so "ATM Machine" is "Automated Teller Machine Machine").

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Piling on the pedant points:

"du Jour" means "of the Day", so "Soup du Jour of the Day" belongs in the Department of Redundancy Department, along with "ATM Machine" (ATM means "Automated Teller Machine", so "ATM Machine" is "Automated Teller Machine Machine").

-Paul W.
That is just my poor attempt at humor. I usually get a chuckle from wait staff when I ask for it that way. Sometimes I get a puzzled look. :roll:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:45 pm

I've actually seen "Soup du Jour of the Day" on restaurant menus. Along with "roast beef, served with au jus". :roll:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:23 pm

Sounds wonderful Howie. I've never considered cooking lettuce (always eat it raw as a salad vegetable) - thanks for the idea.

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:36 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I've actually seen "Soup du Jour of the Day" on restaurant menus. Along with "roast beef, served with au jus". .

In Florida once, a member of Betsy's quartet asked what the "soup of the day" was, was solemnly told it was "du jour" soup.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Sounds wonderful Howie! And my kind of soup...I love the use of the leftovers...and is that grated parm on top....mmmmm...YUM! I'll be right over for a bowl!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:15 pm

celia wrote:Sounds wonderful Howie. I've never considered cooking lettuce (always eat it raw as a salad vegetable) - thanks for the idea.

Celia
The Beans & Greens Soup I make frequently uses "greens in season" that could be escarole, dandelions, romaine, swiss chard, kale, etc. I just didn't want to waste the iceberg lettuce in this instance, so I figured, Why Not?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:00 pm

That soup does look absolutely dee-LISH! :D

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:00 am

celia wrote:Sounds wonderful Howie. I've never considered cooking lettuce (always eat it raw as a salad vegetable) - thanks for the idea.

Celia

Grilled romaine is one of my favorites.

rwj
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:03 am

Howie that beans and greens soup and various variations are a regular member of the rotation in our kitchen. I use fresh kale or chard a lot. And I tend to use dried rather than canned beans just to cut down on the salt.
Last edited by Howard on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:04 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Piling on the pedant points:

-Paul W.

I just didn't want to be that much of a prick.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:21 pm

Howie Hart wrote:The Beans & Greens Soup I make frequently uses "greens in season" that could be escarole, dandelions, romaine, swiss chard, kale, etc. I just didn't want to waste the iceberg lettuce in this instance, so I figured, Why Not?

Howie, your greens and beans soup is a regular here at the Henrick Mansion since my first try at it. Of course I always make about 6 times more than the wife can eat, and after 4-5 reheatings I take the rest of it to work. I guess no one there had ever seen kale and beans used together, because I got lots of comments. some even about the (by then) small green bits amongst the soup. Yum stuff!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:30 pm

Howard wrote:...And I tend to use dried rather than canned beans just to cut down on the salt.
I've only been using dried beans ever since I bought a new pressure cooker a while ago. I prefer them to canned also.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Howard wrote:...And I tend to use dried rather than canned beans just to cut down on the salt.
I've only been using dried beans ever since I bought a new pressure cooker a while ago. I prefer them to canned also.

I agree with using dried beans over canned. If. I have the sense to plan, I soak beans the night before and it doesn't really take long for them to cook next day. I usually use great northern white beans and Kale, but if I get caught short, I have been known to use canned beans. Of course with canned one has to pour off the liquid and rinse the beans. So, if I have to do that, I always use a low sodium or a no sodium home made chicken stock. I like using kale or collards in this soup as it seems to me that those greens hold up better for leftovers. Confession time though. I inherited my sisters pressure cooker a couple years ago, and have been a little leery about using it. My Mother canned with a big canning pressure cooker and had it blow it's top once scalding her quite badly, and I am still scared of them.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Bob Henrick wrote: Confession time though. I inherited my sisters pressure cooker a couple years ago, and have been a little leery about using it. My Mother canned with a big canning pressure cooker and had it blow it's top once scalding her quite badly, and I am still scared of them.

I've only used my pressure cooker a couple of times for canning things but I'm told if you have an old one you should get rid of it. I do not know what is considered old. The new ones have apparently reduced the risk of blowing up and scalding to negligible. I'll defer to anyone with real experience but that's what I've heard. Mine will only go to 15 atm pressure I believe.
Howard
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:52 pm

The one I bought about 6 months ago is stainless steel. I had two old ones that I inherited made of aluminum. If you remove the gasket and the pressure weight, the old ones make great popcorn poppers - nice even heat and the locking lid make for vigorous shaking. I believe all pressure cookers operate at 15 psi. Here is a great link: http://missvickie.com/index.html and from the same website, how to cook beans in a pressure cooker: http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html
no avatar
User

Jim Hickman

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Jefferson City, Missouri

by Jim Hickman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Of course I always make about 6 times more than the wife can eat, and after 4-5 reheatings I take the rest of it to work.

OK, why is it when I make soup (and others, it seems), the soup expands exponentially. By the time I'm finished, I can feed most of Jeff City. Then my wife hits me in the head with a spoon. Maybe I should use a recipe, but that would take away the surprise. The leftovers do get better with age, though.

Jim
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Welcome, Jim! That is one kick-ass avatar!

rwj
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:10 am

Robert J. wrote:I just didn't want to be that much of a prick.

rwj

Touche. Guilty as charged.

-Paul W.
Next