Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A baking experiment - for Bob Ross !

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

A baking experiment - for Bob Ross !

by Celia » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:38 am

All this talk about cholesterol lowering spreads and Splenda were in my mind today when I went shopping. So I decided to try an experiment, and made the chocolate chip cookie recipe I posted last week, substituting Flora Proactive (our equivalent of Benecol) for the stick of butter, and Splenda for the white sugar in the recipe. There was still plain flour, chocolate chips, eggs and brown sugar in the recipe. I used the full fat version of Proactive - the light and extra light ones aren't suitable for baking or frying.

First thing to note was that the cookies looked good. I read a quote once that said you eat first with your eyes, and these certainly looked the real deal. The cookie itself is a bit yellower on the inside when broken in half, but other than that, it was golden and brown. Taste ? I have to say it was ok, although I have a bit of an aftertaste from the Splenda. I think I'll try again with just the Proactive and normal sugars - if for no other reason than because the Splenda is really very expensive. Pete quite liked them, and was happy to eat them, but I'd like to experiment some more.

I found a convincing reason not to eat artificial sweeteners - I won't let the kids eat them. So clearly if I'm not happy with them having it, I really shouldn't be happy with me having it. Ok, let me rephrase that - I found a convincing reason why I shouldn't eat artificial sweeteners.. :)

lowcholcookie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: A baking experiment - for Bob Ross !

by John Tomasso » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:52 am

Celia, they look really good. You're quite the baker, aren't you?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: A baking experiment - for Bob Ross !

by Bob Ross » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:41 am

Great post, Celia, thanks.