Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Shrimp Strudel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Shrimp Strudel

by Jenise » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:39 pm

Who says strudel has to be sweet?

Combine about two cups' worth of cooked seafood and/or vegetables, seasoning, cheese and binders, wrap the mixture in any one of a variety of doughs and put it in a 400 degree oven. About 20 minutes later, voila!, you have a fabulously complex main course pastry that needs only a leafy salad and a glass of wine to make an elegant, balanced meal for four. Better yet, make two: it takes no extra time to double the filling and only about three extra minutes to roll out the second sheet of dough. Put that in the freezer, and the next time Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice drop by unannounced, you've got six generous appetizer servings ready to go--just bake it a little longer. These are great hot out of the oven or later at room temperature.

I made a pair of shrimp strudels on Saturday: we were invited to a friend's home for dinner, and I was asked to bring an appetizer. It came out of the oven seconds before we walked out the door, plated on a long, white rectangular platter bedded with arugula, and arrived at our destination a few blocks away warm, steamy and aromatic.

Once you master the basic proportions, you can customize a world of ingredients to suit any occasion. During crab season I make a version with crab and artichoke. On Saturday, I made shrimp because that's what I had in the freezer, and I chose seasonings that would capture a shrimp scampi kind of flavor. It seemed kind of right for a dish that was going to precede a classy but traditional steak and baked potato dinner--you know, kind of surf and turf (with the surf thankfully segregated to its own course--no wine matching problems!) I also used puffed pastry because, again, that's what I had in the freezer, but phyllo and even a classic pie dough would work wonderfully well, too.

Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 c shrimp, cooked and squeezed dry, then coarsely chopped
1 c grated parmesan reggiano
1/2 c mayonnaise or sour cream
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 fat pinches dried thyme
1 tblsp finely chopped parsley
2 eggs, one for the filling and the other for a wash
1 sheet puff pastry

Preheat oven to 400 F. Combine the first six ingredients and 1 of the eggs. Roll the pastry out to a rectangle about nine inches wide and about 16 inches long. Spread the filling lengthwise in a strip about 4 x 14, starting about one inch from the left edge. Paint the exposed dough surfaces with egg wash. Fold the 1" strip up and lean against the filling, then pull the large piece of dough from the right over the top and tuck under. Press the top and bottom edges closed with a fork and trip down to about hlaf an inch, and fold that tab under, too. Add a teaspoon of milk to the remaining egg and paint the top of the dough. Place the strudel on parchment or a Silpat, and bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Re: RCP: Shrimp Strudel

by Martin Barz » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:59 am

Jenise,

chapeau, very good idea and looks very, very delicious your Strudel!

I will make such a Strudel too in the coming weeks........

Greetings from Berlin,
Martin
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:44 pm

Jenise,

We're doing trying to cut down on fat. Would fat-free sour cream work in this?

TIA
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Jim Cassidy wrote:Jenise,

We're doing trying to cut down on fat. Would fat-free sour cream work in this?

TIA

Jim, low and fat-free dair products separate, or curdle, at high heat and I would not reccomend them. The best substitute would be yoghurt. And I would use whole, not low-fat, as whole has only about 7 grams of fat in a cup where sour cream has about 5 grams per tablespoon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:42 pm

Jenise...this looks like a perfect appetizer. I am having a party in 3 weeks and this is the kind of thing I was looking for!!

My only Q, what do you think about the parm and shrimp? I have never had the combination and always shy away from seafood and cheese.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:08 pm

Maria, the combination is absolutely delicious. You're probably thinking of the rule of thumb about not putting parm on seafood pastas. I prefer that, too, but here you're essentially creating a cheese-flavored cream sauce with which to dress the shrimp, and culinary history is full of good cheese and seafood combinations. Heck, try dipping large peeled shrimp in egg and then rolling them in grated parmesan cheese, then pan fry. When the cheese is golden, the shrimp's cooked through. Serve as an appetizer as is, or use to garnish a salad of nutty mixed greens.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:49 am

Sounds wonderful Jenise...I will absolutely make this! Thanks again for posting this.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin