Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Provence (Bandol) dish/meal recommendations

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Calgary

Provence (Bandol) dish/meal recommendations

by BMcKenney » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:39 pm

I've been cooking recipes from a couple of different Patricia Wells Provence cook books over the last few winters but this was before I started drinking wine from the region of Bandol. Now that I discovered this wine, I was wondering whether there are some classic Provence dishes to match the likes of a red Bandol? If not classics, then some off the cuff suggestions would be great. I was thinking lamb dishes, roasted, or stews perhaps. With some stinky cheese salad maybe. I checked out a couple of websites from domaines in the region and didn't notice any recipes or food suggestions.

Bryan
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Provence (Bandol) dish/meal recommendations

by Jenise » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Bryan, Lulu Peyraud is the wife of Domaine Tempier proprietor Lucien and a legendary cook. American foodwriter and Provencal fanatic Richard Olney documented her food in a book called Lulu's Provencal Table, which I happen to have, and both Richard and Lulu were mentors to a very young Alice Waters. I think you'll find that the heartiest of the type of Provencal dishes you already know will be good matches, but I'll list you some recipe titles to help those creative juices get flowing:

meat and potato gratin
grilled hanger steak with anchovy butter
calf's tongue pot-au-feu
Roast pork loin with sage and onions
pork chops with juniper
grilled lamb skewers
leg of lamb on bed of thyme
roast leg of lamb with black olives
braised shoulder of lamb with eggplant and tomato confit
lamb shoulder and flageolets
leg of lamb stuffed with tapenade
leg of venison in red wine
rabbit stuffed with prunes
rabbit with mustard
garlic rabbit
stuffed duckling with turnips
pigeon squabs with peas

You get the idea--rustic meats with big flavors. Lots of olives and garlic and herbs. If you want any of the recipes, just holler.

Love Patricia Wells books, btw, you've made good choices there. Welcome to the forum!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:30 pm

pigeon squabs with peas

As opposed to, say, okapi squabs?
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:40 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:
pigeon squabs with peas

As opposed to, say, okapi squabs?

You do have a point. But hey, it's right out of the book. Blame Olney!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Calgary

by BMcKenney » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Jenise wrote:Bryan, Lulu Peyraud is the wife of Domaine Tempier proprietor Lucien and a legendary cook. American foodwriter and Provencal fanatic Richard Olney documented her food in a book called Lulu's Provencal Table, which I happen to have, and both Richard and Lulu were mentors to a very young Alice Waters. I think you'll find that the heartiest of the type of Provencal dishes you already know will be good matches, but I'll list you some recipe titles to help those creative juices get flowing:

meat and potato gratin
grilled hanger steak with anchovy butter
calf's tongue pot-au-feu
Roast pork loin with sage and onions
pork chops with juniper
grilled lamb skewers
leg of lamb on bed of thyme
roast leg of lamb with black olives
braised shoulder of lamb with eggplant and tomato confit
lamb shoulder and flageolets
leg of lamb stuffed with tapenade
leg of venison in red wine
rabbit stuffed with prunes
rabbit with mustard
garlic rabbit
stuffed duckling with turnips
pigeon squabs with peas

You get the idea--rustic meats with big flavors. Lots of olives and garlic and herbs. If you want any of the recipes, just holler.

Love Patricia Wells books, btw, you've made good choices there. Welcome to the forum!

To me this is very fascinating. I fell in love with Tempier Bandol wine just recently, I've been in love with Provencial cooking for a few years now, and now I learn there is a woman named Lulu who is the wife of the vintner and a book of her recipes has been written and published. What a stroke of luck for me. I read part of the book online as well as a couple of reviews and and know this book is going to be a favourite for me. Thank you for posting this information.

Bryan
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:48 pm

You'll love it, Brian. The first 60 pages "The Vigneron's Year" read like a novel and immerse you into their sunny, mediterranean life. From there, Lulu's hearty and robust cooking is a celebration of life. It was she, by the way, who inherited the vineyards--her maiden name is Tempier.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:43 pm

Jenise wrote:You'll love it, Brian. The first 60 pages "The Vigneron's Year" read like a novel and immerse you into their sunny, mediterranean life. From there, Lulu's hearty and robust cooking is a celebration of life. It was she, by the way, who inherited the vineyards--her maiden name is Tempier.

It's also worth mentioning that Lulu and Lucien Peyraud were the close friends and mentors to a young Kermit Lynch, who has imported their wine since the early '70s and has written extensively about both of them in his books "Adventures on the Wine Route" and the more recent "Inspiring Thirst," both of which are well worth reading.

Mark Lipton