Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How is wine cataloged on grocery shelves

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

How is wine cataloged on grocery shelves

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:00 pm

A pet peeve of mine is not being able to find the wines I want at the grocery store. I've asked the employees and no one seems to know other than to say, "Well, all the cabs are here, all the Merlots are here" etc. Not always so. I've tried looking for it alphabetically, but it is a maze. Any suggestions?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: How is wine cataloged on grocery shelves

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:26 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:A pet peeve of mine is not being able to find the wines I want at the grocery store. I've asked the employees and no one seems to know other than to say, "Well, all the cabs are here, all the Merlots are here" etc. Not always so. I've tried looking for it alphabetically, but it is a maze. Any suggestions?

Karen, there's really no standard procedure, but most wine shops - and groceries too - either sort wines by country and region or by grape.

We don't have grocery wine in my state, but as a general rule, one of the reasons I like to buy from shops that specialize in wine is that they generally know a little about the subject, organize the shelves intelligently, and can offer competent answers to questions. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:35 pm

Most stores I have been in do it by price. The more expensive wines are higher up.

Some places do it purely by marketing incentive - the sepcial deals get eye level placement.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:26 pm

At my local market they stock the shelves by producer, which I find rather puzzling, other than the fact that my wife's chardonnay happens to right next to my merlot or shiraz, so I only have to bend over once :D

The bigger stores we shop do a pretty good job of cataloging by varietal as primary and price as secondary within that varietal.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:45 pm

I try to buy wine when it is on sale. I paid special attention today as to how it was cataloged on the shelves.... it was a mess, to me, anyway. Cabs were all over the place. Since we have our fair share of local wineries, they now have an end cap of local wines, plus, they are spread out all over the normal shelving. Since Raley's changed shelving a few months ago, I find the entire store very confusing. It is as if they want you to wander around looking for things, and they keep changing. I think there is a conspiracy to drive us all mad. :twisted:
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:10 pm

ok - i've done this from the other end.

distributors generally determine the 'set' of the store - for supermarkets at least.

suppliers to the distributors tell them how they want it done

generally speaking they want as many of their products as possible, as many facings of those products as possible and most importantly they want them all together.

the closer to eye level the better - the corolary to this is the 'ribbon' set. you have your best seller several facings wide at eye level and the rest of your line ribboned below.

most supermarkets are set two ways - ribbons for the 'brands' and 'varietal' for the others. so gallo's livingston and such will be ribboned and the others will be in the varietal section. you get a much better 'presence' with the ribbon - so 'brands' - fetzer, masson, inglenook, woodbridge etc want to be done that way. (hoke needs to chime in here) if there is a varietal section, the upscale 'brands' want to be there. for someone like clos du bois there is a serious issue as to whether to be in the ribbon set or in the varietal set - they are now a 'brand' that aspires to their former 'premium' image.

similar notions apply to fine wine shops; but supermarkets increasingly have 'fine' wine sections - which really are just the clos du bois' of the world and there is where the fur flies.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:56 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:A pet peeve of mine is not being able to find the wines I want at the grocery store.

Isn't it deliberate? Encourages you to search through the bottles and maybe find and buy something you hadn't intended to.