Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Turkey pot-pie stew

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Turkey pot-pie stew

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:18 am

Turkey pot-pie stew

We're finally approaching the end of an unusually gray and chilly winter around here, with the first day of spring just two weeks off. But winter is not over yet, so there's still plenty of call for warming comfort food.

One of the most consoling winter dishes I can think of is turkey (or chicken) pot pie, a comforting blend of poultry meat and vegetables in a smooth, thick sauce, encased in a pastry shell and baked until it's all steaming.

I'm not much for pastry in home cooking, though. Too much work, too many calories. But the other night, faced with another chilly evening, a leftover roast turkey thigh in the fridge and not much else, I suddenly had an idea: Why not make a turkey pot pie without the pie? All the goodies, hold the crust ... and dollop it over a pile of steaming white rice instead.

Without pastry, and using already cooked poultry, pot pie suddenly becomes easy: Saute onions and garlic, add vegetables and the meat, cook briefly in a little broth, thicken and serve. Just as simple as that, and dinner was on the table in 45 minutes. Here's how it went.

INGREDIENTS:
(Serves two)

1 medium sweet onion
2 cloves garlic
2 stalks celery
2 carrots
10-12 ounces leftover turkey (or chicken)
Salt
Black pepper
1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen
1 1/2 cups turkey broth or chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons arrowroot (preferred) or cornstarch for thickening

PROCEDURE:

1. Peel and chop the onions, peel and mince the garlic. Slice the celery, peel and slice the carrots. Cut leftover turkey meat into bite-size cubes.

2. Put the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium-high heat and saute until they're translucent but not brown. Stir in the carrots and celery, season to taste with salt and pepper, and continue sauteing briefly until warmed through; reduce heat to low and cover the pan. Cook covered for about five minutes or until the carrots and celery are softening a bit but still crisp.

3. Add the turkey cubes, the peas, and the broth and tomato paste. Simmer, covered, for 15 or 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender but not falling apart. Add the ground cumin, taste and correct seasoning if necessary.

4. Make a slurry with the arrowroot or cornstarch and water, and stir it in over low heat, a little at a time, until the liquid in the pan thickens slightly. Serve over steaming white rice or, if you prefer, boiled new potatoes or mashed potatoes.

WINE MATCH: Just about any crisp to medium-bodied white wine of your liking should work well with this wine-friendly dish. It was excellent with Vicentini 2005 "Terre Lunghe" Soave, a richer style Soave endowed with fresh tropical fruit and citrus flavors.

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Turkey pot-pie stew

by Celia » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Robin, a very nice idea ! When I was younger, there was an in-vogue dish called "Chicken Supreme". It was like pie filling without the crust, though unlike your recipe, it had a quite a bit of cream in it. We had it over steamed rice, and absolutely loved it - ultimate comfort food.

Recently I had a blanquette of something (I think it was rabbit) at a local french restaurant, and I was reminded of the old chicken supreme. Actually the original was pretty sad, I'm fairly sure my mother used a packet mix, but the blanquette de whatever was how I remembered it tasting. :D

You know, if you ever wanted an easy carb to top that dish with, Jo Ann's cornbread recipe would go well over the top...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:40 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'm not much for pastry in home cooking, though. Too much work, too many calories. But the other night, faced with another chilly evening, a leftover roast turkey thigh in the fridge and not much else, I suddenly had an idea: Why not make a turkey pot pie without the pie? All the goodies, hold the crust ... and dollop it over a pile of steaming white rice instead.

Great way to use leftover meat, for sure. But...but....the best thing about turkey pot pie is the pie part! Of course, I'm a carboholic, so I had to say that.

Celia--Chicken Supreme? You're reminding me of something from childhood--one of those popular 50's dishes that was around too long. I remember it from reading Mom's cookbooks when I was a kid. Oh, what was it called...I'll think of it, give me time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:44 am

Chicken a la King!

That didn't take long. I'm sure I've never eaten the dish, but it talked about often in the way that supposed that every cook in America made it. The recipes would always say, "Serve over toast points or steamed rice." Cooked chicken, a gravy, and IIRC chopped canned pimentos and mushrooms, maybe peas.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Hickman

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Jefferson City, Missouri

by Jim Hickman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:55 pm

Chicken ala King was definetely what it was called. Athough the classic is as Jenise describes, we made it almost exactly as Robin recipe above. It was always the chicken pot-pie recipe without the crust served over toast points. I now make "chicken pot-pie" and serve it over biscuits. My kids love it (and so do I!). :D

Jim