Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Corned Beef Brisket

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Corned Beef Brisket

by ChefJCarey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:17 pm

No hormones, blah, blah blah.

Cooking it tonight. Been brining it for a week.

Btw, has anyone here tried Harris Ranch beef?

Had a couple of ribeyes from there that blew me away.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Corned Beef Brisket

by Bob Henrick » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:44 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:No hormones, blah, blah blah.

I've not had the Harris Ranch beef Chef.There have been several threads over the years about grass fed beef, including Nieman Ranch. I grew up on a farm and there was a reason for feeding an animal out on corn, IIRC, it was to put a little fat in the carcass for flavor. Grass fed beef is very lean and therefore dry. Or so it seems to me. Plus that grass fed stuff is higher price. Or, are you talking about something else?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:

I've not had the Harris Ranch beef Chef.There have been several threads over the years about grass fed beef, including Nieman Ranch. I grew up on a farm and there was a reason for feeding an animal out on corn, IIRC, it was to put a little fat in the carcass for flavor. Grass fed beef is very lean and therefore dry. Or so it seems to me. Plus that grass fed stuff is higher price. Or, are you talking about something else?

No, that's why this stuff was so amazing to me. It was excellent. I am a convert.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:45 pm

Harris Ranch beef can be incredible. When I worked on a project up in Bakersfield, we'd occasionally send someone up I-5 to bring back a truckload and we'd grill 'em right after work in the parking lot.

Surprised to hear about you getting it in Oregon, though--up here, all the good prime beef comes from Oregon.

So, what does Chef serve with his corned beef?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:26 pm

Jenise wrote:

Harris Ranch beef can be incredible. When I worked on a project up in Bakersfield, we'd occasionally send someone up I-5 to bring back a truckload and we'd grill 'em right after work in the parking lot.

Surprised to hear about you getting it in Oregon, though--up here, all the good prime beef comes from Oregon.

So, what does Chef serve with his corned beef?

Very traditional. Well, actually I'm using some very untraditional potatoes - Russian Bananas - but otherwise SOP. Carrots, cabbage ( a vegetable I absolutely love) and horseradish Dijon.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:05 am

I'm smack dab in the middle of Harris Ranch country - in fact, there's one local market here that features it exclusively. The butcher there also has a dry aging program.
My experience with the brand has been inconsistent. I'd say it's really good 70% of the time - not a bad batting average. Better than IBP.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:32 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Very traditional. Well, actually I'm using some very untraditional potatoes - Russian Bananas - but otherwise SOP. Carrots, cabbage ( a vegetable I absolutely love) and horseradish Dijon.

I bow to some traditions but not all. Grew up with everything cooked in the same pot, and nothing but water to cover. I like the color and piquance achieved by adding sweet Hungarian paprika to the boiling water, and the complexity and aromatics of a handful of chopped mint. Also, I'll roast the potatoes separately and for color, serve a pile of grilled green onions. One year someone dared me to make an Italian version of corned beef and cabbage, so I made corned beef ravioli and teamed them with pillows of steamed cabbage cut into squares roughly the same size as the ravioli. On the plate the ravioli and cabbage pieces were combined, doused with a creamy mustard sauce made from a reduction of the broth, then drizzled the lot with a mustard green pesto. Probably one of the most bizarrely wonderful dishes I've ever come up with.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:38 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:No, that's why this stuff was so amazing to me. It was excellent. I am a convert.

Chef, I should have researched the Harris Ranch beef before replying the first time. I see now that their beef is not so called range or grass fed beef. It is rather beef that has been fed out on a feed lot using a feed including corn that they make themselves. Their beef (and I admire this) is hormone and antibiotic free. And according to their web page the cattle are humanely treated from early life to the slaughter house. That is not always true, and we just recently saw where the packing company was using a fork lift to forcibly move downed cattle. Quite a revolting video, and IMO that company should be 100% shut down with no possibility of ever being in the business again EVER. I will have to look at their prices, but I suspect that with shipping added I can't afford them. Maybe there is a source of like beef closer to me.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:04 pm

I bow to some traditions but not all. Grew up with everything cooked in the same pot, and nothing but water to cover.

I don't bow to any tradition just because it's a tradition. But, in this instance I do incline my head slightly.

Having grown up an Irish-American Catholic boy (well, I was) in a Jewish home, I pay homage to this fine Irish-American/Jewish fusion dish from the Lower East Side by leaving it alone.

No tampering. I'll probably do it one more time this month, what with the two holy days coming up. St. Patrick's Day, of course, on the 17th and then, more importantly, two days later, St Joseph's Day.

(She's a slum goddess from the Lower East Side.)