Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Spring! - What will you be planting?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Spring! - What will you be planting?

by Dave R » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:37 pm

For some, the time change tonight elicits an enthusiasm for Spring and plans for new growth in herb and vegetable gardens. What are you planning on planting this spring?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Spring! - What will you be planting?

by Larry Greenly » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:41 pm

I've already got some shallots, onions and garlic planted. Later, it will be tomatoes and basil, at least. And some flower bulbs out front.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:30 pm

I just picked up several bags of organic compost to work into my raised vegetable bin, which I devote half to lettuce-y things as well as parsley and, this year, a final attempt at growing cilantro and half to tomatoes. No room to really do much else.

What about you, now that you're a bona fide homeowner and member of suburbia?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:48 pm

I just took out my spinach crop so Gene could till the raised beds and add amendments. I have flat leaf parsley, sage, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, chives, and lemon verbena growing. I am putting in cilantro, mixed lettuces, arugula this weekend. Next month I will begin to put in tomatoes of all kinds, basil, and cucumber. We have a large Farmer's Market not far from here and we go every Saturday, so it is not worth putting in all the stuff we used to when the kids were home. I had a bumper crop of lemons this year. Many were the size of oranges, no seeds and so juicy. I have a Satsuma Mandarin tree started and a blueberry shrub that is going to fruit this year.
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:38 pm

Peas & tomato plants have started off indoors & the peas will be heading out soon. Just tidied the herb garden up today and much is still going strong - mint, fennel, rosemary, oregano, parsley, chives and a few others. Onions I chucked in the ground last year are starting to emerge - but I admit I have no clue as to when to plant or harvest onions. Also have a couple of small beetroot that have wintered in the greenhouse and hopefully are ok to plant out soon.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:11 am

I wanted to grow a giant pumpkin, but Pete said no. :)

We're just heading into Autumn now, so it's not planting season, but next year we've been thinking of adding garlic to our lemongrass and sage plants. And maybe a giant pumpkin...

Karen, have you ever made preserved lemons with your crop ? I just did a batch today - lemons were on special...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:25 am

I'm going to plant 5 acres of watermelons and 2,000 grape vines.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:08 am

Another 25 Rhododendrons.

We gave up on annual food crops a few years ago when we realized we lacked the time to tend them as we both work.

Limit ourselves to herbs now - damn, lost a Rosemary this winter, better plant a back-up!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:09 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Another 25 Rhododendrons.

We gave up on annual food crops a few years ago when we realized we lacked the time to tend them as we both work.

Limit ourselves to herbs now - damn, lost a Rosemary this winter, better plant a back-up!

25 MORE? Where are you going to put them? (Out in front--move a few cars? :) )
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Duane J wrote:I'm going to plant 5 acres of watermelons and 2,000 grape vines.

Duane, why so few? :wink:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:21 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:25 MORE? Where are you going to put them? (Out in front--move a few cars? :) )

The neighbours WISH!
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:10 pm

Jenise wrote:
Duane J wrote:I'm going to plant 5 acres of watermelons and 2,000 grape vines.

Duane, why so few? :wink:

Have you ever tried to eat more than 5 acres of watermelons? ;)

I'll bet you were talking about the grapes. I'm doing replants in the 5 acres I planted last year and finishing out the block this year. I also don't want to get in over my heard and not be able to take care of them properly either. Then there is the 40 acres of almonds I still farm so I have plenty to keep me busy.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:21 pm

celia wrote:We're just heading into Autumn now, so it's not planting season, but next year we've been thinking of adding garlic to our lemongrass and sage plants.

Celia, if you're thinking about adding garlic, autumn is exactly the time. Except in the coldest climates, the most favorable time to plant is late September thru November in the Northern Hemisphere, late March thru May in yours - earlier in colder winter climates, later in warmer ones. I would think in Australia you'd be looking at late April and May as ideal.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:54 pm

celia wrote:I wanted to grow a giant pumpkin, but Pete said no. :)

We're just heading into Autumn now, so it's not planting season, but next year we've been thinking of adding garlic to our lemongrass and sage plants. And maybe a giant pumpkin...

Karen, have you ever made preserved lemons with your crop ? I just did a batch today - lemons were on special...

Celia, I did make a pint of preserved lemons because I had seen recipes asking for them. After the proper amount of curing time, I took a look and my jar with the lemons had oozed out salt or something and caused the metal flippy thing to corrode.
They were so salty, I ended up throwing them out. Do you have a tried and true recipe? I have some lemons that are starting to get a tad bit soft and I would like to try this again
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:15 pm

Karen, they're meant to be salty - I rinse them before I use them. You're supposed to make them in a jar without a metal lid, but I've never managed to find one big enough that would seal, so my lids always corrode too. I make them by cutting lemons in quarters (not quite the whole way through), and then filling them with a couple of tsp of sea salt each. I then squish them into a jar, and then fill the jar with lemon juice. Lots of people make it with just the juice of one lemon and warm water, but I've had a batch go off on me that way, so now I use all lemon juice (which means I really only make it when lemons are cheap).

Food Safari, a program here in Oz, had a segment on these just last week (which is why I made some..) :)
This link has a recipe and a video :

http://www21.sbs.com.au/foodsafari/inde ... ipe&cid=33

Cheers, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial