Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Spinach, pea and chevre salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Spinach, pea and chevre salad

by Jenise » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:14 pm

Out of the hundreds of recipes that we all try, occasionally one is so compelling, so perfect, it becomes part of our repertoire from the first bite. Such was this Jamie Oliver salad for me: three simple ingredients that don't sound especially intuitive, but which, when dressed with the juice of a ripe fresh lemon, good quality EVOO (if you keep several, use the best you have) and a sprinkle of salt prove that they not only go together, they belong together. Couldn't be simpler, couldn't be more exquisite. Especially with a glass of crisp sauvignon blanc.

FLDG veterans will probably remember this salad from a post of mine on FLDG Classic. But there are so many new people and I'm still loving this (served it again last night), it won't be overkill to recommend this salad again.

To serve four:

four handfuls baby spinach
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
3/4 cup crumbled chevre
1/2 a large, juicy lemon
2-3 tblsp good EVOO
salt

In a salad bowl, combine the spinach and peas, then dress with lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Toss, then add chevre, and toss again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: RCP: Spinach, pea and chevre salad

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:20 pm

Frozen peas? It's SPRING!

What sort of chevre would you recommend?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:35 pm

Well, that's the original recipe and what you can do off seasons. I used fresh (and raw) last night, but not everybody likes raw food as much as I do. The chevre--any good "goat log", as my receipt from Costco put it, will do!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:47 pm

I used fresh (and raw) last night

Thanks, my world is now back in its orbit.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:01 pm

Cool, Jenise ! I've watched Jamie Oliver prepare this, but have never tried it - will give it a whirl ! Thanks...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:06 pm

celia wrote:Cool, Jenise ! I've watched Jamie Oliver prepare this, but have never tried it - will give it a whirl ! Thanks...

Hope you do, Celia. Believe me, the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Love this salad!!! Totally a staple around here!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:29 pm

Nice timing on this one, Jenise. I was digging around in our too-crowded freezer a couple of days ago and realized we had way too many bags of frozen peas. (My daughter likes them as snacks, so my wife has overbought in a big way.) I was looking for ways to get rid of some of them and this seemed perfect for a quick, weekday dish. Turned out very nicely - I can imagine it would be even better with fresh peas. Served it with sauteed chicken breasts with a lemon cream pan sauce that was wonderful.

And tater tots. Hey, I said I was trying to clear out the freezer!!.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:36 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote: Turned out very nicely - I can imagine it would be even better with fresh peas. Served it with sauteed chicken breasts with a lemon cream pan sauce that was wonderful.

Hurray! Another satisfied customer. :D

And tater tots. Hey, I said I was trying to clear out the freezer!!.[/quote]

Hmmm...there's a new post buried in this revelation. I bought and cooked tater tots last weekend myself, and have been needing to confess.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:21 pm

I love this salad because it is good at any time of year even with frozen peas and grocery spinach. My "winter" variation is to add some sliced sweet onions that have been sweated to softness but not total limpness. Walla Walla or Vidalia are sweet enough as is but I usually add a bit of honey to sliced red onions. I sweat in a non stick with no oil/fat - just a bit of water. Onions add a texture and taste counterpoint that is great with the chevre.

I add frozen green peas to many winter salads - often just the right surprise.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:54 am

We made this tonight, Jenise, with frozen peas and Adelaide Hills Chevre. It was gorgeous with a golden Ashton Hills 97 riesling. Thanks for the recipe !
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:42 pm

Thanks for reminding me. I'm fixing this salad for friends who are coming to the boat this evening for dinner. Should make a great and easy first course...
Ines