Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What Is Your Favourite Apple?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: What Is Your Favourite Apple?

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Jenise wrote:So many apples many of you mention that we never see or hear of out/up here: Mutsu, Cortland, Northern Spy....

Of those commonly available: fuji and granny smith. Of apples I remember from childhood but never see any more: green pippin and winesap.

I think mutsu may be the one called Crispin, but I'm not absolutely sure on that.

Around the mountain community of Ellijay, Georgia, quite near where I lived most of my life to date, is a microclimate that is ideal for growing apples. Consequently, there are quite a few orchards there, and most of them have an "apple house" - fruit stand - where they sell their crops each September and October. There's never enough cool weather early enough to develop the bright colors common to NY and Washington apples, but the flavors can't be beat. That is the only place so far that I have ever seen a mutsu, but what a treat to stop by an apple house after work and buy a peck or half-bushel of whatever has just been picked, and eat a couple before arriving home. :) That's the non-family thing I miss most about Georgia, since I have moved away.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Bill, thanks for that link. I didn't realise the Pink Lady was an Australian apple, I only know that we get them fresh in season here, and they're the preferred apple in this house. Second choices are Jonathans, Galas, Fujis and Sundowners.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:43 pm

Second the Jazz. Just discovered these at the local store, a cross between Gala & Braeburn, and we love them.

Also like Braeburns and Honey Crisps.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:19 pm

Jenise,
We get Oregon pippins most of the year down here. You're being deprived! They're getting pretty old now, but strawberries are beginning to descend in price to where I can look at them and decide if they're going to be good.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Ditto Richard--on all three counts!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:We are fortunate in BC in having a program at the university that fosters continued culture of all sorts of rare and forgotten apple varieties, but of the apples available at the normal stores, Which is your fave?

For us (SWMBO and I) I think it would have to be the crisp Fuji.

What's da matta with Da Big One?
no avatar
User

Liz Gray

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:06 am

San Jose

by Liz Gray » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:42 am

Grannysmith is my all time number one favourite, followed by Gata, and Winesap tying for second (depending on my mood)
Just because I am cynical, doesn't mean I'm wrong. (tm)
http://www.elizabeth-gray.net
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am

Macoun. Absolutely my favorite.
Previous