Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Help with Preserved Lemons - Prof Lipton ? Stuart ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Help with Preserved Lemons - Prof Lipton ? Stuart ?

by Celia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Help ! I've had a strange chemical reaction with my preserved lemons ! I made a batch last week, made with just lemons and limes, rock salt and sea salt (I had half bags of each) and lemon juice. Washed and scrubbed lemons and limes, cut them up, stuffed them with salt, put more salt at the bottom of the jar, stuffed the lemons and limes in and then topped the whole lot with more lemon juice (straight, no water). Today the lids are all buckled and ready to explode. We've got the lids off, but there seems to have been some reaction between the salt and the lemon juice, and it's still continuing to produce gas, bubbling up from the bottom of the jar. What do I do ? Do I hurl the whole lot, or can they be saved if I move them to a new jar ? There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the lemons - no mould etc., and it all smells fine.

Help !!! :)

Thanks, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Help with Preserved Lemons - Prof Lipton ? Stuart ?

by Sue Courtney » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi Celia,
I'm surprised Bill Spencer hasn't jumped in here - he's the lemon guru - or maybe he hasn't seen this thread yet.
Suggest perhaps you email or PM him. Right click for contact info here.

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:59 pm

I wonder if there's an anti-caking or flow agent in one of those salts that is alkaline?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:02 pm

Stuart, YES !! That would make sense. Possibly in the rock salt, but I'll go check the packet of seasalt as well. Thank you.

But if that's the case, does that mean the lemons won't work now ?

What I've done is I've emptied out the lemons, resterilised the jars, then put them back in without the extra rock salt (which was still undissolved). I poured in some of the leftover lemon juice to fill the jars halfway and then topped it with some boiling water. Will wait and see what happens now, unless you tell me that I should probably chuck it all out and start again ?

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:20 pm

If that's the issue, no worries about the lemons.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:24 pm

Cheers, Stuart ! They're actually smelling great, so I'm pretty sure they're fine. I just got carried away a bit with the rock salt and lemon juice, I think.

Thanks !

Celia

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:56 pm

My first reaction was to the rock salt. I bet Stuart is right on the mark with the anti-caking agent.

I never cook with that stuff as I find it really harsh. Whenever I do preserved lemons I just use sea salt and I have never had a problem like that.

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:08 pm

Thanks Cowboy. It seems to have settled down now that I've got most of the excess rock salt out.

Celia

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial