Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Favorite coffee cake type recipe?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Favorite coffee cake type recipe?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:02 pm

This morning I felt like baking something for breakfast, but I'm tired of the same old muffins and quick breads. None of my standard coffee cakes sounded good either. Thought about a fruit crisp, but I already made one this week. And I'm already planning on making madeleines tomorrow for chat (yes, I'll bring enough for everyone!) and a meeting afterward.

Please share your favorite Breakfast Baking Recipes with this Bored Baker. I'm begging! :D
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: Favorite coffee cake type recipe?

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:19 pm

Buttermilk Spice Coffee Cake

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
½ cup butter, melted
1 beaten egg
½ tsp. vanilla

Grease a 9x9x2 inch baking pan; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice; set aside. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, melted butter, egg and vanilla. Add to flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in a 350 degrees oven about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Pour glaze (see below) evenly over cake. Bake 5 minutes more. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 12 servings.

Brown Sugar Glaze

In a small saucepan, combine ¼ cup packed brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons honey and 2 tablespoons milk. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer glaze, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in ¼ cup walnuts. Use as directed above.

Hometown Cooking/February 2001 (This was the signature pastry from Curtis & Schwartz Cafe in Northhampton, MA)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:53 pm

Do you even have little madeleine pans? You make the little shell-shaped goodies? If so, I'm impressed. The only "special shapes" I have are volkswagens, for reasons too boring to go into. :)

No special breakfast coffee cake recipe here. Probably the only one I go back to again and again involves pineapple. Sweet and tart, very moist, no frosting required. Good as a cake or muffins (or volksmuffins).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Ohhh, great topic Cynthia. I love coffee cake and have never tried to make one.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Do you even have little madeleine pans?

Yep. I surely do. I love love love madeleines!

Volkswagens? Like the cars?

A non-baking friend actually came up with a perfect solution for me this morning. (But only because he felt like eating these.) I just took a batch of oatmeal scones (with dried apricots and cranberries) out of the oven. I am pretty sure I can eat that! :D
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Oooh! Thanks, Linda! And with brown sugar glaze!! YUM!!

(We need a drooly emoticon!)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:46 pm

Yeah, it's a running gag with friends--we have a Slug Bug contest every time we travel anywhere with them. And all depictions of volkswagens are game--billboards, movies, little silver baby banks in shop windows...as long as it's an old style bug, it's a point. So I found these volkswagen shaped tins in Holland and waited almost a year to have them down for a weekend all so I could produce this bowl of volkswagen-shaped breads at brunch the next morning--and score all the points. :)

The scones sound delicious. Pass one over my way, please, I haven't eaten yet! Think I'll post the pineapple muffin recipe. Now that I've thought so hard about them, I need some by no later than this time tomorrow.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:03 pm

LOL! Great story, Jenise.

From this morning. Unfortunately, I didn't quite get the butter as small as I like it in the dry ingredients, so they spread a bit more than usual. Still taste pretty good though and the texture is perfect. (If I do say so myself! 8) )

Oatmeal Scones w/ dried fruit
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Emeril's Raisin-Caraway Soda Bread
I made this last year for St. Patty's Day. Very similar to my mother's old recipe and great with a cup of coffee. I was going to make it this year, but I cheated and bought some at a local bakery. (I don't feel very ambitious at the moment).
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:58 pm

Is a coffee cake coffee flavoured, or something you have with coffee ?

Thanks, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Sorry, Celia!

Yes, something you have with coffee. Often served for brunch or when someone drops in for coffee.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 pm

Cool, thanks Cynthia ! I'm getting better at understanding American every day. For instance, I now know what "chicken fried steak" is, and do you know, it actually doesn't involve a chicken at all ! Don't laugh, I was really surprised ! :wink:

I think what you call "coffee cakes" is what the British/Aus/Kiwi contingent might call "tea cakes". Will see if I can find something in my recipe folder that you might like...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:40 pm

Yes, I think you are right! Tea cakes.

I grew up north of the Mason-Dixon Line, and I was at university south of the M-D Line before I ever even heard the phrase "chicken fried" anything. I was just as confused as you were, Celia!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:16 am

Celia, wait til you find out that an egg cream doesn't have egg. Or cream.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:26 am

I like a good coffee cake now and again. I've tried to make them twice. But, each time mine were dry and not as tasty as the ones I've eaten that were cooked by others. I especially like a coffee cake made with sour cream, with a streusel topping. What am I doing wrong? :?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:25 am

celia wrote:For instance, I now know what "chicken fried steak" is, and do you know, it actually doesn't involve a chicken at all ! Don't laugh, I was really surprised ! :wink:

Celia, there's another twist. There is such a thing as chicken fried chicken. Here's a recipe. http://www.texascooking.com/print_features4.htm

I have made chicken fried steak once... it's kind of messy.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:03 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote: What am I doing wrong? :?

Hmm. I don't know, Jo Ann. You are so good at all things culinary that I have a hard time imagining it!

Maybe it's just slightly over baked? That would dry it out a bit.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:23 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I like a good coffee cake now and again. I've tried to make them twice. But, each time mine were dry and not as tasty as the ones I've eaten that were cooked by others. I especially like a coffee cake made with sour cream, with a streusel topping. What am I doing wrong? :?

Sounds like you are baking it a bit too long. They can dry out really fast. I usually take mine out about 5 minutes before the required time but you have to watch it real close. If you use a glass dish to bake bread-like things in then you can usually cut some of the time off. Also, try using Bulgarian buttermilk if you can find it. I have been getting good results with it. I love that stuff.

rwj