Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ham??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Ham??

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:58 am

It seems like we'll be doing a ham for Easter brunch. I plan on making Jenise's Pineapple Muffins, along with several other items (scrambled eggs, home fries, etc.) but haven't decided on the ham yet. I've had several types of ham, such as canned Polish hams (simple and pretty good), store brand, bone-in, water added (OK), dry cured country ham (very good), and one locally made ham: Sahlen's Ham. I'm leaning towards the latter, but does anyone else have favorites that might make me change my mind?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Ham??

by Jenise » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:31 pm

Go local! Besides, it would be hard for most of us to make reccomendations without knowing what's in your marketplace. Have a good brunch, and don't forget the fresh fruit. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:32 pm

Jenise wrote:...and don't forget the fresh fruit. :)
Thanks Jenise - my mother-in-law is making a fruit salad.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:42 pm

Howie Hart wrote:It seems like we'll be doing a ham for Easter brunch. I plan on making Jenise's Pineapple Muffins, along with several other items (scrambled eggs, home fries, etc.) but haven't decided on the ham yet. I've had several types of ham, such as canned Polish hams (simple and pretty good), store brand, bone-in, water added (OK), dry cured country ham (very good), and one locally made ham: Sahlen's Ham. I'm leaning towards the latter, but does anyone else have favorites that might make me change my mind?

Howie, a good country ham properly prepared is hard to beat. Plus, if prepared right one can simply take the shank of the bone and by twisting and pulling remove the it for easy slicing.
Bob Henrick