Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ruminating about Irish Soda Bread

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Ruminating about Irish Soda Bread

by Jenise » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:46 pm

Just put two loaves in the oven. They're my first ever experience with ISB--never ate one, never made one. So much so that I was actually surprised to go hunting for recipes and find that the standard contains raisins and caraway seeds. Also, was surprised to realize that a loaf of "soda bread" is, essentially, one giant biscuit, flour plus moistening agent plus instant leavening. I figured that out just in time too, as I would have easily overworked the dough without that thought in mind. I followed the recipe but used buttermilk for lightness and added sunflower seeds for the beautiful emerald green they turn in the presence of baking soda. I also doubled the sugar (only 1 tblsp for 4 cups flour?), thinking a little too much sounds better than not enough.

Cross your fingers for me: the dough seemed a bit too dry, though I initially added the correct amount of buttermilk and even added another quarter cup and a tablespoon on top of that. It's probably still drier than I'd make a biscuit dough--might have made a mistake in not adding even more, but considering that I was already up 15% and was making loaves not little discs, I didn't want to weight it down.

Anybody else cooking for the holiday?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Ruminating about Irish Soda Bread

by Maria Samms » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:16 pm

Hey Jenise,

Soda bread IS very much like a biscuit or a scone, but less flakey/buttery. I am not a huge fan, but I will eat some every yr on St. Patty's day. My Auntie makes a pretty authetic recipe with raisins and caraway seeds. It's ok. Like my cousin (her daughter and a pastry chef) told everyone as they left my Aunt's house with their Soda bread "party favor"...it's better if you toast it in the morning and serve with butter. So, if you are not thrilled with your results, I would give you the same suggetion. Try some toasted tomorrow morning with some butter (and I like jam on it too!).

Let us know what you think.

btw, noticed that your name is in green...is that for the holiday? I like it!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:41 pm

Maria--NOW you tell me!

Just joking--for me, I thought it was just okay. I loved the flavor (the caraway/raisin combination is magical, and I did right adding another tblsp sugar), but I personally wasn't thrilled with that texture. But I'm not even a big biscuit fan. Bob who is, however, LOVED the bread, and it looked great sitting on our holiday table. That part was easily worth the relatively small amount of trouble it took to put two loaves together, about four minutes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:27 pm

I've never been much of a fan of it, even though I do love the raisin and caraway together. I just need to find a recipe that combines them that is actually.... well..... really good. :?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I've never been much of a fan of it, even though I do love the raisin and caraway together. I just need to find a recipe that combines them that is actually.... well..... really good. :?

I agree. I wonder, thinking about dumplings with vs dumplings without, about a little egg?
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:48 pm

I love the raisin and caraway mixture as well, thinking it was authentic until a local Boston Irishman emphatically called any bread with fruit and seeds in it "rubbish" and not at all traditional. Just 4 ingredients, mate: flour, soda, salt, buttermilk.

And of course in this day and age there is a website for everything. :D
http://www.sodabread.us/index.htm

(I still make mine with raisins and caraway because without them, it's plain dull)