Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Leftover leg of lamb

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Leftover leg of lamb

by John Treder » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:04 pm

I bought a butt half of a leg of lamb a week ago and as I was roasting it, the oven stopped working, so I was stuck with a barely hot leg. I sliced off some pieces and sauteed them quickly, because the rest of dinner was waiting, and put the rest in the refrigerator. With the oven temporarily repaired (it will be replaced Wednesday, the powers of the universe and GE willing), I finished roasting it this evening. There's another meal left and I was wondering what to do with it.

Is there a recipe for something like a lamb scallopine or a lamb stroganoff? Or what?

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Leftover leg of lamb

by Maria Samms » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:49 am

John...I generally do a lamb stew with leftover leg of lamb. My Mother-in-law always makes a curry with it. A lamb scallopini might be interesting...I guess it would depend on how strong tasting your lamb was.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:10 am

I agree, lamb stew is the usual thing - I was just looking for something different.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:51 pm

I like cold, thin slices on a bed of mixed greens with a mustard vinegarette.

Ground, mixed with bulghur, chopped sun dried tomatoes as a stuffing for peppers/zucchini.

As with all meats, I prefer cold to hot/warm. I live for the reincarnations of the leftover.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I like cold, thin slices on a bed of mixed greens with a mustard vinegarette.

Ground, mixed with bulghur, chopped sun dried tomatoes as a stuffing for peppers/zucchini.

As with all meats, I prefer cold to hot/warm. I live for the reincarnations of the leftover.

Christina, we're soul sisters.

But hey John--besides the usual stews, there are the less usual stews. What about a Scotch Broth? Barley, carrots, potatoes, cloves....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:56 pm

John - Santa Clara wrote:There's another meal left and I was wondering what to do with it.

Shepherd's Pie!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:00 pm

Maria, I am a bit unclear on the concept of 'left-overs"..... :mrgreen:

Seriously though, a nice curry would be a favourite of ours, or possibly lamburgers.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:54 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Maria, I am a bit unclear on the concept of 'left-overs"..... :mrgreen:

Hey, no problem Bill...I am sure I can steer you in the right direction anytime! :lol:
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:42 pm

Jenise,

You mean that's not the usual stew? It's sort of one of three that I commonly make with variations. After all, stew's stew. It ain't exactly hoot kwizzine.

John
John in the wine county