Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Easter plans?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Easter plans?

by Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:41 pm

I'll probably end up doing Chinese red-cooked chicken for Easter this year.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:42 am

John T wrote:Friday, I'll bake our traditional Easter pies - one, a sweet pie made with cooked wheat, the other, a pizza rustica containing chopped up salame and ricotta chesses. Those are traditional, and eaten not so much on Easter but around it.
I'm making what John is making. :D I've got the wheat soaking for the wheat pie. And I'll be making pizza chiena (pizza rustica) on Saturday.

I had to mail order the soft spring wheat from an organic farm in Washington as Whole Foods around here doesnt carry it (like they do in MA).
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:20 am

1. Sleep in.
2. Get a chance to see wife for a change (she's a CPA).
3. Might bake a ham.
4. Edit a ms written by and about a bipolar disorder person.
5. Hopefully, drink wine and/or other adult beverages.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:52 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I had a different idea for this year:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7305522.stm

Tough to eat M&Ms with the holes in my hands, though.

Well I guess it would make sense to practice good hygiene and get tetanus shots before crucifying oneself.

Big event for our weekend is the older daughter getting baptized, confirmed, and first communion Saturday night. Haven't really thought about what we'll do on Sunday.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Edie B

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:25 am

NW Ohio

by Edie B » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:05 pm

Dave R wrote:For those of you cooking/baking for Easter, what are you planning on making? Are you going to try anything new this year or will you be sticking with tradition? Any interesting wine with your meal?

Prime rib with a crushed pepper/garlic/thyme crust
Yorkshire pudding
grilled asparagus
glazed carrots
tossed salad (field greens, dried cranberries, grape tomatoes, bleu cheese, slivered almonds)

will probably have either a Malbec or Grenache, but haven't decided for certain (leaning Malbec). Will talk to the wine expert at the store for her input.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water! ~ Galileo Gallilei

"Couldn't understand a single word he said but he sure had some mighty fine wine ... and I helped him drink his wine." Three Dog Night
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:22 pm

I'm working most of the day and the menu isn't completely set. But, I'm thinking about a rack of lamb (maybe the rosemary-scallion crusted version) and spaetzle with asparagus and mushrooms.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:57 pm

Big event for our weekend is the older daughter getting baptized, confirmed, and first communion Saturday night.

Mike,

Congrats to you and your family! It is nice to hear about people still doing that kind of stuff these days.

Hopefully your daughter will fare better than I did when it comes to first communion gifts. My gift was a heavy brown scratchy wool hand-knit cardigan from my Grandmother. It had "DAVID" embroidered on the breast and suede patches on the elbows. One sleeve was approximately two inches longer than the other sleeve and the buttons did not align up with the button holes.

I only learned later in life that one of her hobbies was knitting. Knitting while drinking Gin.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:27 pm

Dave R wrote:
Big event for our weekend is the older daughter getting baptized, confirmed, and first communion Saturday night.

Mike,

Congrats to you and your family! It is nice to hear about people still doing that kind of stuff these days.

Hopefully your daughter will fare better than I did when it comes to first communion gifts. My gift was a heavy brown scratchy wool hand-knit cardigan from my Grandmother. It had "DAVID" embroidered on the breast and suede patches on the elbows. One sleeve was approximately two inches longer than the other sleeve and the buttons did not align up with the button holes.

I only learned later in life that one of her hobbies was knitting. Knitting while drinking Gin.

Thanks, Dave! This is all something that she decided to do on her own. Hard for me to understand as I was never much for church-related stuff at her age, but it's a good chance to get family together and such.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Edie B

Rank

Wine geek

NW Ohio

by Edie B » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:02 pm

Edie B wrote:
Dave R wrote:For those of you cooking/baking for Easter, what are you planning on making? Are you going to try anything new this year or will you be sticking with tradition? Any interesting wine with your meal?

Yorkshire pudding
grilled asparagus
glazed carrots
tossed salad (field greens, dried cranberries, grape tomatoes, bleu cheese, slivered almonds)

will probably have either a Malbec or Grenache, but haven't decided for certain (leaning Malbec). Will talk to the wine expert at the store for her input.

On the recommendation of the wine expert am going with La Crema Pinot Noir (2005 Sonoma Coast) with my prime rib

"Couldn't understand a single word he said but he sure had some mighty fine wine ... and I helped him drink his wine." Three Dog Night
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:24 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:
Dave R wrote:I'm going to get Neil to shoot an Easter bunny.

Yup, bunny seems to suit the occasion - maybe with double risen rolls... :twisted:

I bagged a bunny intended for the pot last year in my garden, but as I was standing there holding the miscreant by the ears, a small voice from next door cried out "Oh look Mommy, that man found Fluffy" and I couldn't figure out how not to hand the varmint over. Damn - figured I'd have got 4 keychain fobs out of it, all lucky!

Plans have changed. Neil's not keen on shooting the bunnies, not that any of them are named 'Fluffy'.
So it's now rack of lamb with mushroom risotto.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:49 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:

I'm going to get Neil to shoot an Easter bunny.
I saw this program, 'The Wild Gourmets', with Thomasina Miers (winner of Master Chef in the UK). She shot her bunny, then hung it, then just ripped the loin fillets out and cooked them (but I can't remember how).
Seeing we have rabbits running rampant at the moment, it seems a good way to deal with one of then. That is, if Neil agrees.
Not sure what wine will go will Easter bunny. Depends how it is cooked. Will have to experiment.

Sue,

After seeing pictures of birds in your backyard, and noting how different they are from what is in mine, I would love to see what a NZ bunny looks like. I am thinking it might have purple fur with yellow ears. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:After seeing pictures of birds in your backyard, and noting how different they are from what is in mine, I would love to see what a NZ bunny looks like. I am thinking it might have purple fur with yellow ears. :-)

Nothing as exciting as that, Bob. The wild rabbits are the European rabbit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Rabbit

There is a NZ white rabbit, but it was 'bred' and doesn't run wild unless it escapes from its cage. It is quite likely to have a name like 'Fluffy'.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:43 pm

Sue, can you eat your wild rabbits ? I'd be afraid of the myxomatosis.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:17 am

Edie B wrote:

Yorkshire pudding
grilled asparagus
glazed carrots

Yum! I'm a prime rib freak. Your menu looks so good, I was wondering if we could switch Edies for the day. :)
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:42 pm

celia wrote:Sue, can you eat your wild rabbits ? I'd be afraid of the myxomatosis.

I've never heard of myxomatosis being a problem here.
But just thought I better check, regardless.
Evidently it was introduced here in 1952 to try and control the problem, but the virus didn't have a vector and didn't take off. Bunnies are now the second biggest pests, after possums. They are a big problem in the South Island.
no avatar
User

NayanGowda

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Szekszard, Hungary

by NayanGowda » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:59 pm

celia wrote:Sue, can you eat your wild rabbits ? I'd be afraid of the myxomatosis.

Celia,

I'm pretty sure that you'd only have reason to worry if you were a rabbit.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Here in NM, you'd worry about the plague. In fact, our state has an informal motto: Home of the flea; Land of the plague.
no avatar
User

Edie B

Rank

Wine geek

NW Ohio

by Edie B » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:38 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Yum! I'm a prime rib freak. Your menu looks so good, I was wondering if we could switch Edies for the day. :)

Do you know an Edie? I've only met 1 or 2 others in my 52 years.

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:44 pm

NayanGowda wrote:

Celia,

I'm pretty sure that you'd only have reason to worry if you were a rabbit.

Thanks, that's good to know ! And welcome to the forum, by the way !

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

NayanGowda

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Szekszard, Hungary

by NayanGowda » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Thanks Celia! :D
Previous