Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tough breast...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Tough breast...

by Covert » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:20 am

It was almost painful. A late arrival to my hotel near Boston a couple of evenings ago, I searched a bit for a chain “restaurant” such as Friendly’s for fuel. I couldn’t drink because I had a very important presentation to perform the next morning, and even a little alcohol might have jeopardized my performance. When I can’t drink, I don’t like fine food; it reminds me too much of wine.

The only thing I could find was a fashionable neighborhood spot named something like Lax. I was so disconsolate at having to eat dry among others enjoying wine that I didn’t even look carefully at the name of the place.

I was going to order a hamburger, but my personal Jiminy Cricket, an adumbration of my wife, sat gently on my shoulder. I requested some kind of broiled chicken breast with chutney, wild rice and asparagus.

My waitress was uncommonly comely, young, sexy, and playfully friendly. I couldn’t help ruminate about how great it would have been to ask her to bring me a glass of wine, and then another; but like an old fart, I asked for soda water with no lime and said I would order the food right away.

The chicken came out in a nice presentation on a hot plate but was cooked to a hard dryness; which, upon attempting to cut, shredded. My only consolation, I thought, was that I could nibble around the edges to keep from starving, leave most of the disappointment on my plate, and potentially lose a pound.

Then I caught the inevitable descending upon me: the pretty waitress sashaying her way past tables to ask me if everything was okay, the euphemism for asking whether a dinner is actually good, which would be riskier.

What should I say? I thought. The best part of the restaurant experience was the interaction with her, which I would surely dampen if I were honest; but my quest for honesty trumps my desire to be liked.

“I know this is a family restaurant, and a lot of family type people like their chicken “cooked,” and the place is doing very well, so don’t be concerned with my opinion, but if this were a fine restaurant, dry, tough, way over-cooked chicken wouldn’t pass.”

Wide eyes brought the only response back. The girl lickety split fetched the owner. He strutted up like a character in a Maxwell Parish print hunting for bear. To him, I said to relax, I was only interested in eating, which the restaurant adroitly accommodated; but if I ever were to return to dine, I would request the chicken less cooked.

The owner said chicken should be tender and moist and he would take the dinner off my bill.

I said I don’t pay for my dinners and asked him to please leave the charge. But I couldn’t help wonder what the man was thinking. He did in fact know how chicken “should” be cooked, but I am almost certain that his clientele probably liked it as it had come out. I wonder how many owners of restaurants are forced into prostitution?

The waitress came back as nice and playful as before when she asked me if I wanted dessert. No, I said; that’s how I keep the belly off at my age. I left her a big tip, all the money I would have spent if I had been fortunate enough to have dined.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Tough breast...

by Jenise » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:14 am

I wonder if that chicken breast you got was cooked earlier and re-served. The so-dry-it-shredded part takes me there. Chicken is surely one of the diciest foods to order in moderate restaurants because there are so many ways they can ruin it, including not starting with fresh chicken but something they bought from a supplier that only requires a brief grilling-off to essentially heat it through.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:38 am

You are a great storyteller and a vivid writer, Covert. I think you did exactly the right thing. I think the first mistake is ordering chicken breast. For some reason, chicken breast that isn't cooked as part of the whole bird just doesn't have the same appeal and presentation. At a (not upscale) restaurant it seems always to be questionable as to what you might get, and too often what it is when presented. I think both you and the cook were honorable in your exchange. Better luck next time. :?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:51 am

Jenise wrote:I wonder if that chicken breast you got was cooked earlier and re-served. The so-dry-it-shredded part takes me there. Chicken is surely one of the diciest foods to order in moderate restaurants because there are so many ways they can ruin it, including not starting with fresh chicken but something they bought from a supplier that only requires a brief grilling-off to essentially heat it through.

I would have loved to have been able to return the next evening, after my business was over, to see what they could do for somebody who cared. And they had the biggest Chardonnay glasses! I forewent salmon, because chances of getting that right outside of the big cities are even slimmer.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:You are a great storyteller and a vivid writer, Covert. I think you did exactly the right thing. I think the first mistake is ordering chicken breast. For some reason, chicken breast that isn't cooked as part of the whole bird just doesn't have the same appeal and presentation. At a (not upscale) restaurant it seems always to be questionable as to what you might get, and too often what it is when presented. I think both you and the cook were honorable in your exchange. Better luck next time. :?

Thanks very much, Jo Ann. I love reportage, a word I learned by watching a recent movie about Truman Capote. And thanks for having appreciation for honorable discourse, a quality rarer than most chicken breasts for sure. Your wisdom about not ordering chicken in some types of establishments follows the truth of your tagline. As with salt, sometimes nothing substitutes for a hamburger.

Covert
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:10 pm

A late arrival to my hotel near Boston a couple of evenings ago, I searched a bit for a chain “restaurant” such as Friendly’s for fuel. I couldn’t drink because I had a very important presentation to perform the next morning, and even a little alcohol might have jeopardized my performance.

Covert,

I can empathize because one of the many hats I have to wear at work entails sales/marketing trips to make presentations to potential clients located far from home. While I admire your restraint to not enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, I usually do have that glass of wine under similar circumstances because it makes that unfamiliar and usually cold and uncomfortable hotel bed just a bit more easy to sleep in when my mind is racing about what I need to accomplish the next day.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:50 pm

Dave R wrote:While I admire your restraint to not enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, I usually do have that glass of wine under similar circumstances because it makes that unfamiliar and usually cold and uncomfortable hotel bed just a bit more easy to sleep in when my mind is racing about what I need to accomplish the next day.

David, that worked fine for me for the first 25 years or so of my work life, but I think when you drink a lot for a lot of years it can take a toll on the brain. I didn't get into wine until the last ten years. Drank stuff like Martinis with beer chasers for many years. It takes me until Tuesday to regain my IQ after simply drinking wine on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, now. You will probably be fine. I envy you.

Covert
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Covert wrote:
Dave R wrote:While I admire your restraint to not enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, I usually do have that glass of wine under similar circumstances because it makes that unfamiliar and usually cold and uncomfortable hotel bed just a bit more easy to sleep in when my mind is racing about what I need to accomplish the next day.

David, that worked fine for me for the first 25 years or so of my work life, but I think when you drink a lot for a lot of years it can take a toll on the brain. I didn't get into wine until the last ten years. Drank stuff like Martinis with beer chasers for many years. It takes me until Tuesday to regain my IQ after simply drinking wine on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, now. You will probably be fine. I envy you.

Covert

Covert,

If you cheat, and start counting your IQ on Sunday, by Tuesday you will exceed your normal range, which of course gives you a head start for Thursday...
Thomas P