Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Speaking of swordfish, Robin ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Speaking of swordfish, Robin ...

by Bill Spencer » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:40 pm

%^)

As is my usual practice at the end of our harvesting/packing season, I loaded up our beloved 23 foot pull trailer, Sunshine Sally III, and headed for Morro Bay for a short week of R&R ... Kathleen is still in the middle of her season as Assistant Manager of the outdoor breakfast and lunch restaurant, The Garden Cafe, so this was a solo trip to start with ... read 6 books in 6 days and ate my fill of a different kind of fresh fish every day ... I walked into Giovanni's, my favorite fish market, one day and behold they had fresh swordfish on special ... I bought a big steak, headed back to camp, and fired up my faithful Weber ... lo and behold I found I didn't have any fresh garlic ... I always fix a small concoction of olive oil and fresh minced garlic to use to brush on both swordfish and tuna as I'm grilling ... rumaged around in the spice rack and came across a small jar of Garlic Garni made by the wonderful folks at Garlic Festival Foods located in the garlic capitol of the world, Gilroy, California ... shook and little of the Garlic Garni into the olive oil and proceeded to brush the steak several times as I was grilling it ...

O

M

G

The swordfish was like eating the prime filet side of a porterhouse steak ! And the Midnight Cellars Moon Mountain Red was the perfect wine to go with the delicious swordfish ... anyway - don't know if you're familiar with the products made by Garlic Festival Foods but the Garlic Garni is their signature spice mixture ... they have a website at

http://www.garlicfestival.com/

At the end of my week, I pulled the trailer over the hill to Paso Robles, set up camp, and drove into San Luis Obispo to pick up Kathleen at the airport ... Friday night we attended the Annual Bash at Tobin James Cellars ... WHAT A BLAST ! Five bands, food from dozens of local Paso restaurants, and all the Tobin James wine you could drink including all their regular bottlings, all their Reserve bottlings, and all their seperate vineyards right out of the barrels ... STUPINDOUS ! Saturday we met up with a bunch of Kathleen's family and went on our annual "Wine Death March" ... great zins at Stacked Stone Cellars, more great zins at Norman Vineyards, MORE great zins at Dover Canyon Winery where they were grilling racks of lamb for us wine tasters, MORE great zins at Four Vines Winery where we all got transferable tatoos (mine was "Zinbitch" on my neck while Kathleen chose "Naked" just below her throat), then to Rotta Winery for some great priced cab, then to Dark Star for more cab and some wonderful syrah, on to Midnight Cellars for their proprietary blend, the Moon Mountain Red, over to Clautiere Vineyard for some outstanding Rhone style blends and a bunch of pictures of all of us with bright colored wigs and Dr. Suess type hats, back to Tobin James to pick up a few cases of wine, and finally to Vina Robles Winery to top off our journey with some great priced and wonderful syrah ... after a short nap (much needed after a whole lotta wine as you can see), we fired up the Weber and grilled a bunch of fresh halibut topped off with some great chardonnay from Laura's Vineyard ... Sunday we rested up and then headed out Monday morning for our 9 1/2 hour journey back to the Desert ...

Watch out for the 2006 zins from Paso ... absolutely without a doubt some of the best zins I've ever drank ... nothing flabby about the 2006 vintage - zinberry explosion in your mouth with just enough grip to make big eyes after every sip ... will be interesting to see down the road what others think of the Paso 2006 zins ...

Clink !

%^)

P.S. Oh - don't forget about the swordfish !
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Speaking of swordfish, Robin ...

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:59 pm

When were you there, Bill? We had supper in Morro Bay last Monday night.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:06 pm

Hey Bill,
Which RV park did you stay in? We've stayed at Bay Pines while visiting family in Cambria. I see there is a newer one down there near the ocean. Isn't Paso beautiful with all the wineries springing up? I love that part of the country.
There is a restaurant I enjoy going to called Dorn's - have you eaten there? It has a great view of "The Rock" and town.
I really enjoy shopping in Cambria, actually one of my favorite places.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:When were you there, Bill? We had supper in Morro Bay last Monday night.

Whoops - should have read the whole thing!

Sounds like a great time.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:18 am

I haven't had fresh swordfish (my fave fish in the world) in ages. Your description of steak-like is so appropos, I've always thought so too. In fact, the best grilled swordfish I ever had in my life had been, I'm sure, painted with melted beef fat before it went on the grill because it had a fabulous steak flavor that was more than what that noble fish came with all by itself.

What a fun time you had! And how many cases did you bring home?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hey Bill,
Which RV park did you stay in? We've stayed at Bay Pines while visiting family in Cambria. I see there is a newer one down there near the ocean. Isn't Paso beautiful with all the wineries springing up? I love that part of the country.
There is a restaurant I enjoy going to called Dorn's - have you eaten there? It has a great view of "The Rock" and town.
I really enjoy shopping in Cambria, actually one of my favorite places.

%^)

We have been staying at Morro Dunes RV Park since the late 70's ... Highway 41 deadends at the park which is right next to the sand dunes on the ocean ... wouldn't stay anywhere else in Morro Bay ... Paso is gorgeous ! We've been to Dorn's but our favorite place in Morro Bay is The Bayside Cafe ... also Windows On The Water, especially Tuesday night's 65 cent oysters ... Taco Temple has GREAT Mexican fusion cusine ... The Great American Fish Company grills ALL their fish on a huge wood fired grill - great ! Slyvester's in Los Osos fixes the BEST hamburger I've EVER eaten for those of you that think In-And-Out Burger is the best ... Hoppe's Bistro in Cayucos is PHENOMENAL ! Can still get abalone just like you remember it decades ago ... Cambria, the east village part, has great shopping ... and the restaurant on Moonstone Beach can't be beat ... and for breakfast, don't miss the Creekside Cafe ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Jenise wrote:And how many cases did you bring home?

%^)

NINE ! Three from Tobin James, one from Stacked Stone, one from Norman Vineyards, one from Dover Canyon, one from Four Vines, one from Rotta, and one from Midnight Cellars ... ME BAD !

Clink !

%^)

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Can still get abalone just like you remember it decades ago ...

How big? And where? Details, details! I can be on the road in an hour!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov