Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Blue Cheese and Walnut Terrine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Blue Cheese and Walnut Terrine

by Jenise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Whenever I dig a recipe out of FLDG Classic, I invariably decide it should be reposted here. Here's one such recipe: it results in a layered, molded cheese loaf/terrine that is exotically spicey. Reading the recipe you might almost think there's too much going on there, but I assure you it comes together in one surprising, harmonious whole. I'm going to make it next weekend in a ring mold, then fill the center with upright slices of very thin, crisped slices of raisin-nut bread.

Topic: RC: Blue Cheese & Spiced Walnut Spread
Author: Jenise
Date: Tue Apr 4 14:34:01 2000

A few weeks ago, someone brought this cheese spread to a zinfandel wine tasting. The blue cheese and walnuts of course pair beautifully with young red wines, and the slight sweetness picked up the sweet zinfandel finish. I was so impressed, I begged the friend who brought it for the recipe. An important note: those of us who love blue cheese could taste the blue cheese and loved it, and two people I know who HATE blue cheese loved this, not realizing until they were told later there had been blue cheese in it!

BLUE CHEESE AND SPICED WALNUT TERRINE
12 servings
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tbs. olive oil
1 cu walnuts
3 tbs. sugar

16 oz blue cheese, crumbled
2-1/2 oz soft fresh goat cheese (Montrachet)
2-1/2 oz cream cheese, room temp
1/4 cu (1/2 stick) butter, room temp
1/2 cu chopped green onions
2 tbs. brandy
2 tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1 tbs. chopped chives

Mix salt, cumin, cardamom and pepper in medium bowl. Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts and sauté until light brown, about 5 min. Sprinkle sugar over nuts and sauté until sugar melts and turns pale amber, about 4 min. Transfer nut mixture to bowl with spices; toss to coat well. Let cool. Coarsely chop nuts.

Lightly oil 8-1/2 x 2-1/2-inch loaf pan. Line pan with plastic wrap so that plastic extends over edges. Combine 12 oz blue cheese, goat cheese, cream cheese and butter in processor and blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Stir in green onions and brandy. Mix parsley and chives in small bowl.

Spoon 1/3 of cheese mixture into bottom of lines pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle 1/3 of remaining crumbled blue cheese evenly over cheese mixture. Sprinkle 1/3 of nuts over blue cheese. Sprinkle with 1 tbs. of herb mixture. Repeat layering. Spread remaining cheese mixture evenly over top. Fold plastic over cheese to cover. Refrigerate overnight. Cover remaining blue cheese and herbs separately and refrigerate. Store remaining nuts at room temperature.

Carefully invert mold onto platter; remove pan and plastic. Sprinkle terrine with remaining blue cheese, nuts and herbs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: RCP: Blue Cheese and Walnut Terrine

by Christina Georgina » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks so much Jenise for this recipe. I've had something like this warm and it was outstanding. I know I will be making it soon.
Do you have any preferences for the blue ? I am thinking that almost any could be used . Gorgonzola dolce, Maytag, Danish, Rocquefort, Cabrales ?
Where are you using it in the meal ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:57 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Thanks so much Jenise for this recipe. I've had something like this warm and it was outstanding. I know I will be making it soon.
Do you have any preferences for the blue ? I am thinking that almost any could be used . Gorgonzola dolce, Maytag, Danish, Rocquefort, Cabrales ?
Where are you using it in the meal ?

Christina, I haven't made this in three or four years, and I can't for the life of me remember exactly what I've used in the past. I can only offer that I wouldn't use anything as expensive as Cabrales or as soft/fragile as roquefort. Thinking back though, for the right outcome instinct says a firmer blue would be better--with Danish, the cheapest of all usually, probably just fine.

As for the meal--see my party thread! I need your help!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:15 am

Oh my gosh! I make this all the time. In fact, at most parties I'm invited to it's requested that I bring this appetizer! Love it!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:31 am

OMG -- this recipe has all the hits that work well on my palate and send me into spasms of sheer nirvana! Thx for this moment of charity, Jenise. I am going to prepare this for my next personal spa party and curl my toes as I paint the nails red!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon