Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I have probably had better ideas in my time....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

I have probably had better ideas in my time....

by Jenise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:52 pm

...it started with friends Gary and Jeff who wanted to give my husband a robe. Not just any robe, but a bright red robe that each one has. They want to create an Order of the Red Robe For Men of Leisure and induct Bob into same on his birthday. Gary said "Let's have it at my house!" and I said, "Let's make everyone wear jammies!", and there it was, on the agenda. I am supplying the food and wine.

We decided it should be a surprise party, of course. That will be next Saturday night. We've invited about 40 people. So all the food has to be made ahead of time and delivered to others to others who will be deputized to reheat/assemble/plate the foods on my behalf.

It sounded so easy a month ago.

But just about an hour ago Bob said he was going to take Friday off so, already short of time, I now have to finish what remains to be done (and delivered) by Thursday. What have I done so far? Well, last week 16 lbs of lean roast beef was browned, boiled and thinly sliced for cocktail french dip sandwiches. The jus was reduced and seasoned and poured over. About 8 dozen stuffed grape leaves (dolma) are also made, ready to be baked off. Both the beef and the dolma are frozen in large aluminum trays and sitting in the freezer. I have an 8 lb whole round of gouda and I bought a lateral slicer so that people can help themselves to cheese. A whole filet of white king salmon will be custom smoked in Seattle, picked up and delivered by one of the invitees whose primary residence is there, they're only here on weekends. I am going to make the blue cheese and walnut terrine I posted here a little bit ago. I'll make a huge bowl of Union Square Cafe Bar Nuts (brown sugar, cayenne and fresh rosemary glaze). For a vegetable, a huge pile of boiled asparagus with an anchovy-basil tapenade for dipping would be great, but of course the asparagus can't be done ahead. The typical crudite platter holds no appeal.

I just spent the last hour looking through recipe books for do-ahead ideas, and I rejected virtually every recipe because of timing issues. Anybody have any tried and true ideas to recommend?

Besides hiring a caterer. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: I have probably had better ideas in my time....

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:05 pm

Hmm.

Does the vegetable course need to be hot?

Could you do a cold haricots vert salad of some kind? Or a mustard vinaigrette potato salad using baby red potatoes? I have a recipe for a 7 grain salad that is really terrific. Or maybe an upscale pasta salad?

I'll keep thinking about this. And really, what were you thinking? :D

What is dessert?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:31 pm

No salads--this is all tapas, finger foods. Things that don't require utensils to make life easier on both me and our hosts. Vegetables are just neccessary for the sake of color, nutrition and freshness.

Pasta salad--now THERE'S the seed of a great idea. How about little skewers of cooked tortellini, olives, mushrooms, and maybe thick zuccini slices, all marinated in a garlicky vinaigrette? That could all be prepped to the skewer point on Thursday and handed over to someone to finish very easily on Saturday! It's on the menu!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:40 pm

That would work, Jenise! And... yum!

How old is Bob turning? What time is the event and what's the address? 8)

And dessert? What's for dessert? (Obviously, I am all about dessert..... :oops: )
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Speaking of "pasta salad", I'm overworking this (which is why my schedule's in trouble--AS usual!), but I'm suddenly picturing lengths of marinated zucchini wearing little rigatoni jackets, tied with little 'strings' of blanched green onion. HMMMMMMMM....

Dessert? What dessert? :shock:
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Jenise, Bob hasn't noticed 16lbs of sliced beef in the freezer ? :roll:

What about chicken wing pieces ? Easy to do ahead and put them in the oven to cook when you get there. They are harder to hide, though. And pastry thingies - like curry puffs, or spinach and cheese in filo ? Satay skewers ? Or spiced skewered chicken fillets served with a yoghurt dip ?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:21 am

Jenise wrote: Vegetables are just neccessary for the sake of color!

Yup, that about sums it up. :mrgreen:

I like the idea of small stuffed pasta on toothpicks with a pesto dippig sauce.....
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:40 am

Did someone say dessert? A spread like this calls for a simple citrus pound cake (3 or 4 of them should do) drizzled with a lemon glaze. Serve with a fresh fruit medley and whipped cream on the side for those who are so inclined. :P
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:17 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote: Vegetables are just neccessary for the sake of color!

Yup, that about sums it up. :mrgreen:

I like the idea of small stuffed pasta on toothpicks with a pesto dippig sauce.....

I like how you edited out "nutrition" when you quoted me. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:24 pm

celia wrote:Jenise, Bob hasn't noticed 16lbs of sliced beef in the freezer ? :roll:

What about chicken wing pieces ? Easy to do ahead and put them in the oven to cook when you get there. They are harder to hide, though. And pastry thingies - like curry puffs, or spinach and cheese in filo ? Satay skewers ? Or spiced skewered chicken fillets served with a yoghurt dip ?

I can't do chicken wings because I can't tie up the oven (they only have one) with one thing for that long. The French dips (tray after tray running several times throughout the evening) will negate just about any other use, though things that bake quickly (like curry puffs) could be worked in/alternated.

Yes, I was able to hide all that beef in the freezer--they're on the bottom shelf in my side by side, covered by....TATER TOTS!!!!
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:44 pm

it started with friends Gary and Jeff who wanted to give my husband a robe. Not just any robe, but a bright red robe that each one has

Are, um, Gary and Jeff straight? Not that there is anything at all wrong with them if they are not, but I've never known two or even one guy that would want to give me a bright red robe. For any reason.
:shock:
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:55 pm

Dave R wrote:Are, um, Gary and Jeff straight? Not that there is anything at all wrong with them if they are not, but I've never known two or even one guy that would want to give me a bright red robe.

VERY straight. They're so straight they both voted for Bush. (rim shot) And the robes are gorgeous.

Say, here's a picture of Gary helping me serve at a dinner party. He didn't think the apron I handed him went well with the outfit he arrived in, so.... (Bill Spohn--recognize anyone?)

DSC02567.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:04 pm

LOL! Is that Bob at the head of the table in the blue shirt shaking his fist and ordering the guy to put his trousers back on before the Mayor arrives?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:16 pm

Jenise wrote:[

But Gary's...unusual. Here's a picture of him helping me serve at a dinner party. He didn't think the apron I handed him went well with the outfit he arrived in, so.... (Bill Spohn--recognize anyone?)

DSC02567.JPG

Thank goodness he goes with boxers over briefs.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:51 pm

Jenise, you probably do your best work under the gun ! I have a couple of ideas for veg. I like the anchovy use so....1.an escalibada type platter of roasted vegetables - asparagus, red pepper, zucchini, eggplant, onions - your choice- I would do 2, 3 at most marinated in an anchovy/basil marinade This is more dressed ahead of time and left to deepen flavors and served at room temp. Any other marinade would do as well.
2. Boiled green beans tossed with EVOO and dressed with a vinaigrette of chopped anchovies, capers, lemon juice, EVOO, garnished with olives and basil.
3. If you have a nice variety of mushrooms- Fungi Trifolati - mushrooms sauteed in EVOO with garlic, chopped parsley at the end. Nice at room temp.
4. If you can find them, cipolline - those small, very flat Italian onions in agrodolce are also good at room temp. Many vegetables can be steamed and dressed and left to develop flavor in this way.
5.Along the green bean line...green beans,boiled crisp tender, raw celery root julienned to 1/8-1/4" dressed with a mustard vinaigrette
6. A salad that I turned my nose up when it was described but turned out to be a hit when served- crisp steamed sugar snap peas, small shrimp and quartered strawberrries dressed with lime juice, ginger, sambal oleek, honey,EVOO and chopped fresh mint. Not sure how well this would integrate with the rest of your menu though.

Sounds like the dessert may already be taken care of but I would second the citrus poundcake- I have a great orange cheese poundcake that gets baked in a 12" pan and serves 20. I also like the Italian cornmeal cookies -Zaleti- like a drier shortbread -great with coffee or the biscotti di Prato - almond biscotti for dipping in vin Santo.

What fun!
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:41 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Thank goodness he goes with boxers over briefs.

I think this was the point of undressing--those boxers are the Playboy boxers I gave him last year for a birthday present afer catching him out getting his paper in the aforementioned bright red robe, and dubbing him 'Hef'.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Jenise wrote:Yes, I was able to hide all that beef in the freezer--they're on the bottom shelf in my side by side, covered by....TATER TOTS!!!!

LOL ! Too funny, girlfriend !

:lol:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:57 am

Do ahead stuff?

Lasagna

Any item in any cookbook by Diane Phillips, the "Diva of Do-Ahead." We are partial to the Santa Maria Barbecue Tri-Tip Roast which can be cooked ahead of time and just brought to room temp or slightly warmed before slicing and serving. This is two tri-tip roasts rolled into a log and covered with a dry rub (paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, etc) and then roasted or BBQd to medium rare. Serve alone or with small buns for mini-sandwiches.

We also like the Green Beans and Smoked Mozzarella Salad. The cheese is cut into matchsticks then combined with the green beans and chopped scallions. Just before serving toss with a balsamic vinaigrette. Mix in some pine nuts and toss again. Garnish with pine nuts and parsley.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:17 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:1.an escalibada type platter of roasted vegetables - asparagus, red pepper, zucchini, eggplant, onions - your choice- I would do 2, 3 at most marinated in an anchovy/basil marinade This is more dressed ahead of time and left to deepen flavors and served at room temp. Any other marinade would do as well.

Christina, would you prep these two days in advance? Everything I make has to be finished and turned over to someone else by Thursday--I would worry about zucchini and asparagus holding up as they tend to weep overnight. The others you mention would be fine, and I love the idea of serving roasted vegetables. Just nervous about some of the components you mention.

Love the cipoline suggestion. We can get them here sometimes.

Love the green bean idea too, but green beans are really sad here right now. Or at least they were on Sunday.

What an interesting salad--I react as you did. Shrimp and strawberries are not, offhand, an intuitive combination in my world! But salads are basically out--this needs to be all large-piece finger food as the guests will mostly be standing all night.

I love the idea of the citrus pound cake, but I have ordered the cake. It's the one easy place to cut down on my workload, so I did it!

I've decided to add some crostini to the mix. Easy to do, easy to eat, great to look at. For a contrast in colors/flavors, I've chosen to do a feta cheese and green chile (thank you again, Larry!) combination, as well as grilled shrimp served on a saffron and red pepper rouille.

I am now at:

whole filet of smoked king salmon
mini hot French dip sandwiches
walnut and blue cheese terrine with rasin-nut crisps
marinated olive, mushroom and tortellini skewers
stuffed grape leaves (lamb and chicken)
bar nuts
gouda wheel
duck and black truffle pate
feta cheese and green chile crostini
shrimp and saffron/red pepper rouille crostini
fresh strawberries

I think I have a volunteer to cook the asparagus for me on Saturday afternoon, so I'll be able to serve that as a finger food/vegetable in addition to the skewers. Just have to decide whether to do the anchovy-basil dip (hope I can find the recipe, been ages since I made it--it's ugly as hell but absolutely delicious with asparagus) or just dress it with olive oil, lemon and parmesan.

Jo Ann's suggestion prompted me to make sure there's some fresh fruit on the table.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:57 pm

MikeH wrote:Do ahead stuff?

Lasagna

Any item in any cookbook by Diane Phillips, the "Diva of Do-Ahead." We are partial to the Santa Maria Barbecue Tri-Tip Roast which can be cooked ahead of time and just brought to room temp or slightly warmed before slicing and serving. This is two tri-tip roasts rolled into a log and covered with a dry rub (paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, etc) and then roasted or BBQd to medium rare. Serve alone or with small buns for mini-sandwiches.

We also like the Green Beans and Smoked Mozzarella Salad. The cheese is cut into matchsticks then combined with the green beans and chopped scallions. Just before serving toss with a balsamic vinaigrette. Mix in some pine nuts and toss again. Garnish with pine nuts and parsley.

Mike, both are good ideas but I can't do lasagna or salads--this is a finger food only event. The tri tip is a great party idea, I don't have that book but I've prepared tri tips in a similar way and served it the next day--I'm always surprised to find out how many people like cold steak as much as I do. I probably wouldn't opt for another beef dish in addition to the French dip sandwiches that I've already made the roast beef for, but if I hadn't already done that, the tri tip is exactly the kind of thing I'd be looking for.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Jenise wrote:
DSC02567.JPG

This reminds me of one night in a restaurant kitchen where I once worked. All of the line cooks got really, really drunk and we took off our pants (and underpants for those wearing them). We left our aprons on, though. It was just like in that picture, Jenise; just no pants at all.

rwj
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:41 am

Jenise,
You are right about the weepiness-especially zucchini. I would have no reservation about the asparagus and red pepper though-even 2 days ahead. Sounds like you may be set as you have listed. I thought of crostini -especially asparagus/Parm - since you mentioned wanting to do something with asparagus. The elements you have listed sound great. Have fun. Counting down.......
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:03 am

Robert J. wrote:This reminds me of one night in a restaurant kitchen where I once worked. All of the line cooks got really, really drunk and we took off our pants (and underpants for those wearing them). We left our aprons on, though. It was just like in that picture, Jenise; just no pants at all.

rwj

I think if any other guy had taken off his pants too, Gary would have gone there. As long as I live I will never understand the way otherwise straight guys like to get drunk and be naked together. :)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:25 am

Jenise wrote: As long as I live I will never understand the way otherwise straight guys like to get drunk and be naked together. :)

Yeah, they say they're straight..... :wink:
Next