Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Farro and Fennel Soup

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

RCP: Farro and Fennel Soup

by Robert J. » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 pm

So I am home sick today with a nasty, nasty cold but I need to eat, yes? I look in the fridge and cupboards to find, not to my surprise, little. I have two fennel bulbs and some green onions from the farmer's market last week, also some garlic. I have a small bag of farro (I knew last night that I would have to make something so I did think ahead) and I soaked about 1 cup of it last night. I ran down to the courtyard of my complex and snipped some rosemary from the many bushes we have. I love to improvise so here I go...and it was quite tasty if I do say so myself. It's really easy to make if you have nothing to do but sit around and blow your nose.

1 cup Farro, soaked overnight
1 quart Vegetable Stock (or chicken)
2 Tbsp. EVOO
2 Fennel bulbs, quartered, cored, and sliced thin
2 Green Onions, whites only, sliced thin (reserve the greens for garnish)
2 Large Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. Fresh Rosemary, minced
S & P to taste

Soak the farro overnight (cover it with about 4 cups water). The next day simmer it in the soaking water for about an hour until it is tender. Then add the stock and keep warm. The farro will continue to soak up liquid and become thick. This is good.

In a soup pot sauté the fennel and onion in the EVOO. When the fennel is slightly soft add the garlic and sauté for about another minute. Add the farro, stock and all, to the soup pot. Throw in the rosemary, season with S & P and simmer to let the flavors blend.

Serve hot with the sliced greens from the onions on top.

rwj
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: RCP: Farro and Fennel Soup

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:12 pm

I was going to do something with farro tonight; I won't, I'll get some fennel and do this tomorrow night.

Well done, amigo.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:11 am

Muchas gracias. The soup was a little starchy, like oatmeal. But I liked it that way. A little extra water or stock would change that.

I hate, I hate, I hate this damned cold. I have been trying to sleep since 8:30 and can't because I can't F**KING BREATHE! I can only breathe if I am in a totally upright position (standing) and I can't sleep that way either. Stuart, if you have a shotgun I will gladly pay you to come over here and put me down.

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:32 am

I'm sorry to hear you're so sick, Cowboy. Get well, buddy. :(
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:03 pm

Thanks, Celia. I am a little better today. I actually went outside!

Stuart, I had this soup again for dinner tonight (leftovers rule!) and threw in a large chiffonade of Brussels Greens. It rocked!

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:23 am

Robert J. wrote:Muchas gracias. The soup was a little starchy, like oatmeal. But I liked it that way. A little extra water or stock would change that.

I hate, I hate, I hate this damned cold. I have been trying to sleep since 8:30 and can't because I can't F**KING BREATHE! I can only breathe if I am in a totally upright position (standing) and I can't sleep that way either. Stuart, if you have a shotgun I will gladly pay you to come over here and put me down.

rwj

You were wise to say this to Stuart and not Robert R. Robert's closer, and he'd do it!!!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:40 am

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't duplicate the dish, but used it as a base to riff on. Ended up doing it as a farrotto, but with the same basic ingredients. I Sliced and sauteed the fennel first, until it had a little caramelization, then put it aside and added it back into the farrotto for the last few minutes of cooking.

VERY nice flavor combination!
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:50 pm

Don't be embarrassed. I view my recipes as melodies upon which variations should be composed. Good work, amigo. It sounds great!

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:57 pm

Jenise wrote:You were wise to say this to Stuart and not Robert R. Robert's closer, and he'd do it!!!!!

That thought crossed my mind right after I posted. :shock:

Be careful what you ask for, huh?

rwj