Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Shrimp Scampi recipes?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Shrimp Scampi recipes?

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:31 pm

I am making shrimp scampi for dinner tonight. I have looked at several recipes and know that the key ingredients are butter, garlic, white wine and lemon. I've tried it before, but didn't get the balance of flavors that I wanted.

Do any of you have a favorite scampi recipe you'd like to share? I'll be serving it with rice and roasted asparagus.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Shrimp Scampi recipes?

by John Tomasso » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:05 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:I am making shrimp scampi for dinner tonight. I have looked at several recipes and know that the key ingredients are butter, garlic, white wine and lemon. I've tried it before, but didn't get the balance of flavors that I wanted.

Do any of you have a favorite scampi recipe you'd like to share? I'll be serving it with rice and roasted asparagus.

How was the balance off in the versions you've tried?
I don't have a recipe, it's one I do without thinking.

I start with olive oil, not butter, then a few shakes of crushed red chiles, and slivered garlic. Into that I toss the shrimp, firm 'em up a bit, then splash the wine in, let it all reduce a bit. When I get it where I want it, that's when the butter goes in. Finally, hit the whole thing with lots of chopped parsley.

I put lemon wedges out on the table and let each diner use it to taste.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Thanks John,

I guess what I was trying to say is that I seem to one flavor standing out. I don't know if it was the wine or lemon or what.

The large shrimp were on sale this week, and I wanted something besides the usual Creole or shrimp burgers. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:29 pm

One way I've done it is to mix EVOO, lemon juice, white wine, finely chopped garlic, kosher salt and a light sprinkle of red pepper in a bowl. Then I dip the raw large or jumbo shrimp in the mixture and arrange them on individual earthenware dishes placed on a cookie sheet. I then pour the remaining mixture over the top and put under the broiler, but on a middle rack. That way they can cook nicely while I'm enjoying soup with guests and not have to watch it very closely.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks Howie, another good suggestion. About how long do they take to cook this way?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:06 pm

I do almost exactly like John, although I'll usually remove the shells and make a separate broth, which I reduce and add along with the wine for more and a really shrimpy flavored sauce, plus a few pinches of dried thyme.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Thanks Howie, another good suggestion. About how long do they take to cook this way?
I peel the shrimp first also. They don't take that long, maybe 5-8 minutes, but you can turn off the broiler and let them sit in the warm oven for a short time until you're ready to serve them.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:17 am

Aren’t bread crumbs an important part of this dish? Otherwise what's being described is more like Shrimp Mosca, IMHO.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:34 am

I've never heard of shrimp mosca.
What I've always known as shrimp scampi doesn't include bread crumbs. But there's so many regional differences that it wouldn't surprise me if I've been making it wrong all these years.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:16 am

John Tomasso wrote:I've never heard of shrimp mosca.
What I've always known as shrimp scampi doesn't include bread crumbs. But there's so many regional differences that it wouldn't surprise me if I've been making it wrong all these years.

Your version looks just like my version, John! I might have some for dinner tonight!
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:44 am

Well, I made the scampi last night. I started with evoo and added the garlic and a dash of red pepper flakes. When that had been going a few minutes I threw in the shrimp. When they started turning pink, I added about 1/4 cup white wine. I let that go a bit then added about 2 TB butter and a handful of parsley. The result was OK, but not rockin'. I could have used more garlic and salt.

In other words, it could stand to be kicked up a notch or two. Whoa, am I channeling Emeril?

Also, I think I did see some recipes using bread crumbs, but I've never had it like that.
no avatar
User

NayanGowda

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Szekszard, Hungary

by NayanGowda » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:59 pm

Linda,

I'd doubt that the alcohol would have properly burned off from the wine by the time the scampi were cooked through. Next time you might try removing them before adding the wine (when partially cooked) and add them back at the end just to heat through,
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:14 am

John, Shrimp Mosca is from Mosca's Restaurant which I believe is in New Orleans. If I'm not forgetting anything you simply you take: some butter, an equal amount of EVOO, all the garlic you have, finely chopped, and fresh rosemary to taste. Heat all the above just under boiling, add cleaned but unpeeled shrimp. When the shrimp are cooked (just a few minutes) take off the heat and add a half cup (more or less) of a nice dry white wine and serve in the pan you cooked in with a lot of nice crusty French-type bread. The shrimp are great but the bread dipped in the pan is even better. Eat with your hands and finish the wine.
Last edited by Jon Peterson on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:23 am

NayanGowda wrote:Linda,

I'd doubt that the alcohol would have properly burned off from the wine by the time the scampi were cooked through. Next time you might try removing them before adding the wine (when partially cooked) and add them back at the end just to heat through,

The alcohol never really burns off. That's poppycock. Besides who wants it to?

Also, folks, shrimp are one thing and scampi quite another. The proper name for the dishes you are making is "shrimp, scampi-style."
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:52 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:
NayanGowda wrote:Also, folks, shrimp are one thing and scampi quite another. The proper name for the dishes you are making is "shrimp, scampi-style."

I was just going to make that point. For a related dish, one could always prepare the classic Spanish tapa gambas al ajillo:

http://spanishfood.about.com/od/tapas/r ... ajillo.htm

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

NayanGowda

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Szekszard, Hungary

by NayanGowda » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:29 am

ChefJCarey wrote:
NayanGowda wrote:Linda,

The alcohol never really burns off. That's poppycock. Besides who wants it to?

Also, folks, shrimp are one thing and scampi quite another. The proper name for the dishes you are making is "shrimp, scampi-style."

Fair catch there. I mean boiled off; and you're right you never eliminate all the alcohol. I was just wondering whether the cooking time would be long enough to lose the raw wine taste (which I hate). I'm also not keen on boiling proteins, as I find that seizes and toughens them so I always remove the protein element before a fierce boil.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Linda,

I have never had a shrimp scampi-styled dish that I enjoyed. I almost never make it at home because I haven't found recipe I liked. Normally, on the weekends I will make myself linguini with clams...but today I couldn't find any clams, so I thought I would *try* some scampi-styled pasta and shrimp. I think it came out pretty good. Here's what I did:

I took a half dozen shrimp, deveined and deshelled them. I patted them dry with a paper towel, then sprinkled sugar on one side. I heated some EVOO in a pan until smoking and added the shrimp, sugar side down. I let them cook for about 2 min (depending on the shrimp size) until they were golden on that side. I then removed them from the pan and added 1 Tablespoon of butter to the pan. To that I added 4 cloves of garlic,thinly sliced, along with a 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper (optional of course...I like my seafood dishes spicy), and browned for about 30 sec. Next I added about 1/4 cup of unoaked chardonnay and about 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper (again - optional - to taste). I let that reduce down to about half...tossed it with some fresh cooked linguini, parsley, and added back the shrimp. I was pretty pleased with how it came out. This was just enough for me...LOL...so you would have to double it for 2 and so on!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:58 pm

That sounds interesting Maria. One question, though, why the sugar? Do you use that to carmelize the shrimp?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:16 pm

I use the sugar for 2 reasons Linda...first is like you said to caramilize the shrimp and get a good crust on one side. Also, for some reason, I really like a touch of sweetness with my shrimp. I am not sure why, maybe because I don't find that shrimp have their own nature sweetness, and many times when I have a scampi-styled dish, it is too acidic. The sugar seems to balance it out a bit. If you try it, please let me know what you think.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin