Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Spaghetti Risotto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

RCP: Spaghetti Risotto

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Here is a recipe that I adapted from Rachael Ray's "Creamy Spaghetti and Beans". Risotto meets pasta e fagioli in this Tuscan classic.

Creamy Spaghetti (Risotto-Style)

2 ½ -3 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2-oz. pancetta chopped into small dice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ pound spaghetti
½ medium onion, chopped
1 carrot, cut into a small dice
1 cup frozen green peas
1 fresh bay leaf (or dried)
5 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme (or ¼ tsp. dried thyme)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup dry white wine, eyeball it
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
A generous handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

Place the stock in a sauce pot and warm it over medium heat then reduce to simmer. Heat the extra-virgin olive oil and the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the pancetta to brown slightly. Next add the garlic and spaghetti and toast the noodles lightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions and carrots, bay and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Soften veggies a bit, 5 minutes. Add wine and allow it to be completely absorbed. Add a few ladles of stock and stir the pasta. Keep adding stock a few ladles at a time allowing liquids to be mostly absorbed before adding more, as if you were preparing a risotto. Add the green peas when you add the last ladle of liquid. When liquids are absorbed and spaghetti is cooked to al dente, 12-15 minutes, stir in cheese. Adjust salt and pepper. Turn off heat and stir another minute. Remove the bay and thyme stems. Serve in shallow bowls and garnish with lots of parsley. Serves two with leftovers for lunch.

The original recipes calls for white beans and a whole pound of spaghetti, so I cut it down and use green peas instead. It makes a pretty, colorful dish.
Last edited by Linda R. (NC) on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Spaghetti Risotto?

by John Tomasso » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:43 pm

For a mintue I thought you were making a "Big Night" joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URdCltP8rqA
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

Re: RCP: Spaghetti Risotto

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:36 pm

And I had no idea what you meant until I looked at the video. I've never seen the movie, but I did read up on it after you posted. It looks like it might be good. The spaghetti is too. I never imagined fixing spaghetti without first boiling water.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:59 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:And I had no idea what you meant until I looked at the video. I've never seen the movie, but I did read up on it after you posted. It looks like it might be good. The spaghetti is too. I never imagined fixing spaghetti without first boiling water.

Nice recipe--I love cooking pasta in a sauce sometimes. Very intense flavor--not desirable for all sauces but for some, it's great. And I applaud your substitution of the peas--in fact, pasta tossed in a white sauce with peas and proscuitto is what Californians know as Spaghetti Carbonara. Orzo would work very well in this dish too in place of strand style pasta.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:33 pm

Jenise wrote:And I applaud your substitution of the peas--in fact, pasta tossed in a white sauce with peas and proscuitto is what Californians know as Spaghetti Carbonara. Orzo would work very well in this dish too in place of strand style pasta.
Thanks Jenise. I like the idea of proscuitto in pasta - I'll have to give that a try. I'm always willing to add a new pasta dish to my repertoire.