Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A Weekend Treat - Chocolate Ganache

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

A Weekend Treat - Chocolate Ganache

by Celia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:17 am

Tonight, as a weekend treat, we made chocolate ganache. It's a really fun, easy thing to do, and if you've never done it before, do give it a go ! It's a good thing to do with any quality leftover chocolate (Lindt eggs ?), and the finished ganache will keep in the fridge for at least a couple of weeks. We use it as chocolate sauce over icecream or cakes, and as hot chocolate mix.

The proportions I use are based on Ming Tsai's recipe, but I leave out all the ancillary stuff, and just use cream and chocolate.

3 cups heavy (whipping) cream
1 pound bittersweet chocolate, either callet form or finely chopped

Couldn't be easier - in a saucepan, heat the cream to boiling. Put the chocolate in a mixing bowl, and pour over the hot cream. Stir gently with a whisk until smooth - this can take a few minutes, so don't rush it. Don't whisk it hard - you don't want to beat air into it. At first it will look like it's not combining, but soon you'll have a velvety chocolate liquid.

Pour the mix into containers and store in the fridge, where it will set to the texture of cream cheese.

chocganache.jpg

Here are some of Ming Tsai's suggestions of what you can use ganache for :

Ganache also makes a great chocolate sauce for ice cream. Just heat the ganache over boiling water until it’s pourable.

For a quick, delicious chocolate mousse, fold whipped cream into ganache. The greater proportion of ganache to cream, the more intensely chocolate the result.

Use warm ganache as a dip for fruit such as strawberries or orange segments.

To make the ultimate hot chocolate, heat heavy cream and add as much ganache as you like.

We make our hot chocolate by mixing a heaped desertspoonful of ganache in a cup of hot milk. And we often play around with mixes of different chocolates in the ganache - mixing milk and bittersweet, depending on what we have at the time. Today's ganache had Callebaut 54% callets and some Callebaut Cuba 70% thrown in to make it a bit darker. We made a double batch of the recipe, and took little tubs around to the neighbours - it's a very nice thing to share !

Have a great weekend everyone !

Celia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: A Weekend Treat - Chocolate Ganache

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:04 am

Girlfriend, you are a bad influence. Now I want this for breakfast.

But you forgot to list my favorite way to use it. Eaten straight off the spoon! :wink:
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:09 am

Y'all sure are making it difficult for me to stick with my weight-loss goals. :cry:
My resistance to chocolate is almost nil anyway.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:17 am

We love love love ganache.

My wife made some party treats with it a few weeks back. Somehow or another, we ended up with a box of Payday nut bars - that's 36 bars, and given that it isn't one of my favorite candy varieties, they weren't moving. Cindy cut each bar in thirds, and dipped them in ganache, and then froze them. We put them out on a platter along with the coffee and cake.

All gone!
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:47 am

Did you eat them with a knife and fork, Mr. Pitt?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:03 pm

But Cynthia, if you make some ganache, you'll have a little tub in the fridge for a week or so, and be able to have delicious hot chocolate spiced with a little chilli powder every night ! :D

Yes, unfortunately, straight off the spoon is the best way for the taste buds, if not for the weight. These proportions make a very runny ganache which doesn't set hard in the fridge. That makes it great for sauces and hot chocolate drinks and eating, but not so great for icing or truffle centres. You need more chocolate and less cream for those applications.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Did you eat them with a knife and fork, Mr. Pitt?

Good one. Glad to see you're on the ball.....though in the original episode, weren't they Snickers bars?
Damn, now I'm going to have to go waste some more time googling it.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:25 pm

It was Snickers, but still... :mrgreen:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:23 am

Ming Tsai was right ! We needed a last minute dessert (friends have just announced they're arriving with Greek takeaway), so we tried whipping the last of the cream and mixing in a generous amount of ganache. This makes a wickedly good chocolate mousse, without the angst of a raw egg. It's very dark and very rich, so we're serving it in little expresso cups.

chocmousse.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:38 am

I could eat that! It looks fantastic, Celia.