Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Poulet Basquaise Wine Match Needed...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David P.G.

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Poulet Basquaise Wine Match Needed...

by David P.G. » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:14 am

I'm having the above mentioned dish this weekend at a friend's house and I'm bringing a bottle with me.

I figure a Cahors will do...any suggestions of something in particular? Anyone else have other suggestions? Looking for a red, BTW.

Thanks!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Poulet Basquaise Wine Match Needed...

by Jenise » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:48 am

David, two things:

1) Basque Chicken is a well known Spanish-style dish full of peppers, tomatoes, chorizo and possibly olives. My reflex for those ingredients lean toward sangiovese, tempranillo and grenache based wines.

2) Forget the food. Tell us about that adorable baby in your avatar!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David P.G.

Rank

Wine geek

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

by David P.G. » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:20 am

Ah...as I'm not a big grenache fan these days, I'll definitely go with a nice Spanish treat then. Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment on my 18 month old son Jacob...he's a killer.

He LOVES to transport bottles around the house for me and play im my cellar in the kitchen. Over Easter, he snatched a glass of Asti off a side table and took a nice sip. He seemed to have liked it too.

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:24 am

Awwwwwww! What a cutie! :D
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:32 pm

David P.G. wrote:I'm having the above mentioned dish this weekend at a friend's house and I'm bringing a bottle with me.

I figure a Cahors will do...any suggestions of something in particular? Anyone else have other suggestions? Looking for a red, BTW.

Thanks!

David, I would go along with a Spanish wine made from tempranillo, or a good monastrell. I would like to point out that syrah/grenache wines from Provence, and many from the Languedoc as well. One in particular is one called Ch. Lancyre from Pic St. Loup. their Grand Cuvee is a killer for around $25.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:57 am

I think a Rose would be the best match. You can find Rosato from Rioja and other regions of Spain. Or just pick you favorite Provencal Rose.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:23 am

You've had lots of good advice, David, and I join the chorus of admiring "ooooh!" over the baby. :)

Underscoring the Tempranillo (or even Tempranillo Rosado) recommendation, it's worth noting that Rioja is perhaps the most well-known wine region in proximity to Basque country. Or for something a little more offbeat, an Irouleguy pink or red (Cab/Tannat blend) from the French side of Basque country.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:26 am

David P.G. wrote:Thanks for the compliment on my 18 month old son Jacob...he's a killer.

He LOVES to transport bottles around the house for me and play im my cellar in the kitchen. Over Easter, he snatched a glass of Asti off a side table and took a nice sip. He seemed to have liked it too.

What an adorable boy. He has irresistable cheeks, among other good features. I'll babysit....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David P.G.

Rank

Wine geek

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

by David P.G. » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and for the kind words...he's the greatest thing on the planet!

I actually ended up bringing a Gotim Bru Castel dei Remi 2004. It's a tempranillo/cab sauvignon/merlot blend that I drink regularly. I had the urge for something with a little more body and it really worked well with the chicken...the hosts were pleased!

BTW, I made my frequently requested Tiramisu for dessert and brought a Pellegrino Passito de Pantelleria to go along with it. Awesome.

Maybe I'll post the rec...