Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Weekend Cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Weekend Cooking?

by Jenise » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:23 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:You know, Jenise, I've read books about people like you. Most of them penned by people like Danielle Steele, but you really do exist. Huh -- imagine that. :shock:

No, you have it all wrong. I'm really quite boring, I just live in an interesting neighborhood. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:37 am

celia wrote:Jo, you read Danielle Steele ? You big softie, you...

:wink:

I agree with you though, our Jenise is one of a kind...

I've read one Danielle Steel in my lifetime (something Midnight). Too much drama! There are much simpler solutions to such manufactured problems. I'm much more of a Jeffrey Archer fan.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:39 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:There are much simpler solutions to such manufactured problems. I'm much more of a Jeffrey Archer fan.

Then you're suggesting that I manufacture problems? How nice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:What are you making this weekend?

It's gotten really bad. I've rediscovered laziness and my George Foreman grill. Lately, I've been putting anything sandwichable between slices of TJ's English Muffin Bread and making press-toasted sandwiches. It hit its high point midweek when Zari passed on some grilled chicken breast in pesto sauce which she had rescued from the Brothers' dining facility. A few thin slices of chicken in the sauce which contained whole pine nuts (Those Christian Brothers eat well!!), some honey mustard, a couple of hot peperoncini which had been marinated in garlic and dill, and a slice of good Swiss cheese ... all squishy and toasty and melty from the grill. More of the same tonight even if the ingredients might differ.

Tomorrow is "sizdah bedar," i.e. the last day of the Persian New Year festival. We will be wandering somewhere (San Rafael or Lafayette) where there will be a picnic, lots of Persians, and tons of kabobs, dolmeh, and all manner of delightful Middle Eastern cuisine.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:50 pm

Persian cuisine does not seem to be a rich ground for vegetarians. Maybe that's why I never had a Persian girlfriend. :shock:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
celia wrote:Jo, you read Danielle Steele ? You big softie, you...

I agree with you though, our Jenise is one of a kind...

I've read one Danielle Steel in my lifetime (something Midnight). Too much drama! There are much simpler solutions to such manufactured problems. I'm much more of a Jeffrey Archer fan.

Yeah come on, Jenise! Make it cocktail weenies and 7-Up next time. Much less drama that way.

"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:51 pm

Glad to see you survived the slumber party, Mike. Hopefully there were not any Guitar Hero or Hannah Montana marathons that kept you up until 4:00 AM. :D
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:(Those Christian Brothers eat well!!)

They do indeed! At another location, the menu last night was spinach lasagna, garlic bread, mixed green salad, and tiramisu. All homemade.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Had a change of plans already - neighbors called to invite us over for lasagna Sunday evening, and we accepted, so that throws Gail's birthday supper tonight into the to-be-determined category.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:43 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Yeah come on, Jenise! Make it cocktail weenies and 7-Up next time. Much less drama that way.

You're so right! That'll be a perfect menu for our 4th of July bash. No muss, no fuss, no drama. But what about little colored umbrellas for the 7-up, would that be overdoing it? I wouldn't even require them to match.... :)
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:23 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:What are you making this weekend?

We're making the most of the late summer harvest (we're still on daylight savings time here although it feels like early autumn) and I've been poaching pears in mulled wine. Or rather seeping pears slices in mulled wine all day. I'm up to my third batch as the poaching / seeping liquid can be re-used and re-used with just a little topping up.
For starters we'll have wine soaked pears and blue cheese salad on preferably butterhead lettuce with a Greek yoghurt and freshly squeezed orange juice dressing, then after the main we'll finish with poached pears and mulled wine jus with a sweetened, soft whipped cream for dessert.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Jenise wrote:7-up, would that be overdoing it?

Commercial soft drinks? How gauche! We make our own, using infusions of pure tropical fruits in European sparkling water.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Yeah come on, Jenise! Make it cocktail weenies and 7-Up next time. Much less drama that way.

You're so right! That'll be a perfect menu for our 4th of July bash. No muss, no fuss, no drama. But what about little colored umbrellas for the 7-up, would that be overdoing it? I wouldn't even require them to match.... :)

GEESH! :roll:
You all know that Danielle Steele creates female characters who are highly skilled, over ambitious, driven, drop dead gorgeous, usually wealthy in their own right (or those who will spike heel the backs of everybody in their way to get to that point), who set their sights on the unattainable to justify that moment of green-streak madness that drives them to murderous revenge. I don't know Jenise, but it seems to me she has the first few characteristics in spades, judging on the stories she has told here -- and is probably working hard at a few of the others! The rest I leave up to the rest of your imaginations -- which you have already put to good use in trying to expand on my already obvious literary skill. Cocktail weenies, in deed! :evil:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:43 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:You all know that Danielle Steele creates ...

In the spirit of fun, but also seriously: I consider myself quite literate, but I have never, ever read a Danielle Steele novel, and know her only stereotypically as a producer of what I nastily discard as "trash" novels.

Now, Dirk Pitt, there's a role model for me ...
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:44 pm

LOL ! Don't stop now, Jo, you're on fire !

Yeah, right, love, you got all that info from just one Danielle Steele novel ? :wink:

Jenise, I know this is hard to believe, but I think Jo Ann meant all that as a compliment ! All power to you both - we need more romance novel heroines in this world..
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:You all know that Danielle Steele creates ...

In the spirit of fun, but also seriously: I consider myself quite literate, but I have never, ever read a Danielle Steele novel, and know her only stereotypically as a producer of what I nastily discard as "trash" novels.

Now, Dirk Pitt, there's a role model for me ...

Dirk Pitt? Don't know him but the name alone is very impressive!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:06 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:You all know that Danielle Steele creates female characters who are highly skilled, over ambitious, driven, drop dead gorgeous, usually wealthy in their own right (or those who will spike heel the backs of everybody in their way to get to that point), who set their sights on the unattainable to justify that moment of green-streak madness that drives them to murderous revenge.

Never read a Danielle Steele novel either. But I'll take all that with one correction: flip flops. :)
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Now, Dirk Pitt, there's a role model for me ...

You too, Robin? 8) I've read about all his adventures. I think he out-Bonds James Bond.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:09 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:I think he out-Bonds James Bond.

Oh, yeah, no question ... he's Bond for the '00s.

Really, though, I just want his cars.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:05 pm

He has got some sweet rides, that's for sure. :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:10 am

I made a 15-bean chili con carne. And piffle on Rule #2; it tastes good.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:27 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Dirk Pitt? Don't know him but the name alone is very impressive!

Yeah, and his wife Olive, and sister Peach.

I do enjoy his car content though!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:11 am

Shifted gears from the panini, got a hot hunger beefy craving, and dry-fried some of the most tender tri-tip with a healthy side of sautéed 'shrooms and red onions. Completed the joy with some Brussel sprouts bathed in butter. And not to forget ... toasted up a loaf of Italian-style bread, all hot and crunchy and so, so, so dippable into the fry pan. All this was accompanied by some el cheapo ($6.99) '06 Ruffino Chianti DOCG from the local TJ's.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:21 pm

celia wrote:Yeah, right, love, you got all that info from just one Danielle Steele novel ? :wink:

I've seen her in interviews! She's right up there with the Collins sisters (Joan and Jackie). That was enough to know where those trains were headed. Like I said, Jeffrey Archer is my kind of writer when I want a fun, mystery read. For trash -- I stick with Terry McMillan.

But, I understood Denise's comment -- and, I'm fairly certain she understood mine. All in good fun. But, I must admit, I totally don't understand flip flop. I'm just not that sophisticated. :?:
PreviousNext