Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Weekend Cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Weekend Cooking?

by Ian Sutton » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Jeffrey Archer is an experienced fiction writer - though unfortunately that's not a good skill as a politician (though some might argue it's a pre-requisite :wink: ). I hope he's a changed man after his spell 'At Her Majesty's pleasure' :wink:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:59 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Jeffrey Archer is an experienced fiction writer - though unfortunately that's not a good skill as a politician (though some might argue it's a pre-requisite :wink: ). I hope he's a changed man after his spell 'At Her Majesty's pleasure' :wink:

Personally, I think he was framed! :evil:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Is the kitchen finished, Jo ?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:11 pm

I made a Pointe-A-Calliere Miche. I pulled it out of the cooker 6:30 pm and the recipe says not to cut it open for 12 hours to let the flavors fully develop. The aroma from the bread is permeating the whole house. I'll just have to wait till tomorrow to see how it tastes.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:26 am

celia wrote:Is the kitchen finished, Jo ?

Just about. I'm having the fabricators back to re-set the backsplash and fuse the seam on the granite. I'm not satisfied with the job. Also, I move the winerack from over the refrigerator to above the microwave (I needed a little more storage space). The new winerack is about 2" too shallow. So, I'm having the cabinetmaker back to take it out and remount. After that, DONE! I'll send pictures.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:28 am

Duane, Helluva job on that bread. I think I can smell it! Please post flavor notes -- full descriptions, please. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:02 am

Duane, looks WONDERFUL !! Did you rise it in a bannetton ? I've never heard of a Pointe-A-Calliere Miche - what sort of bread is it ? (Apart from sourdough, I know that you only use natural leavens.. :))
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:03 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
celia wrote:Is the kitchen finished, Jo ?

Just about. I'm having the fabricators back to re-set the backsplash and fuse the seam on the granite. I'm not satisfied with the job. Also, I move the winerack from over the refrigerator to above the microwave (I needed a little more storage space). The new winerack is about 2" too shallow. So, I'm having the cabinetmaker back to take it out and remount. After that, DONE! I'll send pictures.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Won't the wine get hot over the microwave, though ?

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:12 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Duane, Helluva job on that bread. I think I can smell it! Please post flavor notes -- full descriptions, please. :mrgreen:

Oh it was really jammy with strong boysenberry flavors. :)

The crust is very substantial with the crumb being light and airy. There is a little bit of a sour taste to the crust. I'm mostly pleased with how it turned out.
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:13 pm

celia wrote:Duane, looks WONDERFUL !! Did you rise it in a bannetton ? I've never heard of a Pointe-A-Calliere Miche - what sort of bread is it ? (Apart from sourdough, I know that you only use natural leavens.. :))

Ok the Miche from what I have read is a big round rustic country bread. Lionel Poilâne of Paris France made it as his most famous bread. The Pointe-A-Calliere Miche is one that is named after the original settlement in Montreal. This version of Miche is a very wet dough, 80% hydration. The flour was 90% whole wheat and 10% bread flour. I use a wicker basket line with a dish towel covered in flour to let the dough rise in. The dough still stuck to the towel and ruined the look. When I turn it out to bake it the dough has a very low profile, sort of like a cow pie. ;) Here is a picture of one that I did before that shows the imprint from the basket a lot better. http://djardine.mooo.com/albums/bbq/P5200634.JPG
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:49 pm

Duane, they look great. 80% hydration, no wonder it stuck ! One trick I've learnt is to have a spray water bottle handy - then if the cloth sticks, just spray the fabric from the outside (you can get it quite wet). It will then release the dough without too much damage. I'm actually surprised they rose as well as they did, given that it only had 10% bread flour. Very impressive.. :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:18 am

Celia I think the one I did last year the dish towel was sprayed with oil then dust with flour and I didn't have a problem with the dough sticking. Nice to know about the water. I just ordered a book called "Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers" Time to try some different things. I have been poking around some bread forums that have lots of posts about sourdough and learning more and more. Here is the post of the Miche including the recipe that I used. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/6405/p ... oilanequot
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:28 am

Geez, this makes me wish I knew how to make breads.

Aside from a few simpler forms of Chinese pastry, I'm a total klutz.

I'm in total awe at results like this.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:22 am

Paul, any man who can spend hours collimating a scope has the patience to learn how to bake bread. :wink:

The secret is simply not to give up when it doesn't work the first couple of times. I think baking is the ultimate trial and error hobby. My advice though is to start with yeasted bread first, nice, quick results, and then move onto sourdoughs once you've got dough handling down pat.

Duane, thanks for the link !

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:59 am

That bread looks amazing Duane...I am so impressed!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:29 am

I love that site. I never post though, I only read.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:36 pm

Duane J wrote:Celia I think the one I did last year the dish towel was sprayed with oil then dust with flour and I didn't have a problem with the dough sticking. Nice to know about the water. I just ordered a book called "Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers" Time to try some different things. I have been poking around some bread forums that have lots of posts about sourdough and learning more and more. Here is the post of the Miche including the recipe that I used. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/6405/p ... oilanequot

Duane, the forum at http://sourdough.com.au/ is where the diehard sourdough bakers hang out. No mention of commercial yeast there, it's all natural leavens. Some really interesting technical discussions there that might appeal to you.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Geez, this makes me wish I knew how to make breads.

Aside from a few simpler forms of Chinese pastry, I'm a total klutz.

I'm in total awe at results like this.

-Paul W.

Paul I agree Celia you can make bread. I started off making flat breads like Naan and Pita Bread. They both taste great and you learn how to work with dough.

@ Celia yea that is one of the forums I have been reading.

@Cynthia thefreshloaf is an amazing site isn't it? I like the pictures they have of bread there. I'm not brave enough to post at any of those sites yet.
Previous