Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chef!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Chef!

by Bill Spohn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:45 am

This amusing BBC series starring Lenny Henry as Gareth Blackstock, a manically driven chef in a British restaurant has finally hit zone 1 (North America) DVD, so I can retire my old converted VHS version.

If you haven't seen this, keep an eye out for it as it is really a hoot sometimes. Some favourite lines:

Gareth: [to Piers] Let me explain the order of things to you. There's the aristocracy, the upper class, the middle class, working class, dumb animals, waiters, creeping things, head lice, people who eat packet soup, then you.

Gareth: [while preparing vegetables] Somebody bring me a knife, very long and razor sharp. I need to castrate the person who made this sauce and I don't want to cause any unecessary suffering. I'm not a vindictive man, I'm not out to cause pain, but with this man's DNA in the gene pool, humanity is doomed.

Gareth: Everton, let me explain things to you. In the world of cooking, I am Einstein. Lucinda is Isaac Newton. And you are a mud-dwelling unicellular bit of jelly with a predilection for consuming its own excrement.
Everton Stonehead: You don't like the way I cook?
Gareth: I feel it's important to be frank.

Gareth: This doesn't have a bouquet, it has a smell. A bouquet has flowery and fruity scents, it promises delights to come. This smells like the interior of a Datsun minivan. It doesn't promise—it threatens.

no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: Chef!

by ChefJCarey » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:11 pm

I absolutely *love* this series. Used to watch it every Tuesday evening after teaching a culinary arts class. :)

One of my favorites is the Stilton episode.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:21 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:This amusing BBC series starring Lenny Henry as Gareth Blackstock, a manically driven chef in a British restaurant has finally hit zone 1 (North America) DVD, so I can retire my old converted VHS version.

If you haven't seen this, keep an eye out for it as it is really a hoot sometimes. Some favourite lines:

Gareth: [to Piers] Let me explain the order of things to you. There's the aristocracy, the upper class, the middle class, working class, dumb animals, waiters, creeping things, head lice, people who eat packet soup, then you.

Gareth: [while preparing vegetables] Somebody bring me a knife, very long and razor sharp. I need to castrate the person who made this sauce and I don't want to cause any unecessary suffering. I'm not a vindictive man, I'm not out to cause pain, but with this man's DNA in the gene pool, humanity is doomed.

Gareth: Everton, let me explain things to you. In the world of cooking, I am Einstein. Lucinda is Isaac Newton. And you are a mud-dwelling unicellular bit of jelly with a predilection for consuming its own excrement.
Everton Stonehead: You don't like the way I cook?
Gareth: I feel it's important to be frank.

Gareth: This doesn't have a bouquet, it has a smell. A bouquet has flowery and fruity scents, it promises delights to come. This smells like the interior of a Datsun minivan. It doesn't promise—it threatens.

Once you get your fill of it, can this DVD go out on loan? :)))))))
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Once you get your fill of it, can this DVD go out on loan? :)))))))

I think something might be arranged..... :D
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:44 pm

Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT