Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Onion Marmalade

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

RCP: Onion Marmalade

by Celia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:41 pm

For Dave R. ! :) This is a sweet onion relish, very nice on sandwiches/burgers and particularly good with cheese.

onion.jpg

From Everyday Cooking by Allan Campion and Michele Curtis

80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
4 onions, sliced into rings (but not wafer thin)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 small red chili, halved (optional)
2 sprigs of thyme (I used mixed Italian herbs)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp mixed spice
125ml (1/2 cup) white wine vinegar
90g (1/2 cup) soft brown sugar

Heat oil in large pan and add onions, garlic, chili (if using) and herbs. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes on low heat, stirring often, until onions are soft and turn a pale gold colour (mine didn't do that as they were spanish onions, but I just cooked them until they were soft and wilted).

Add remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Stir well to ensure brown sugar dissolves. Reduce to a simmer again and continue cooking until mix has a shiny, jam-like consistency. Taste and check seasoning - I needed to add salt again at the end.

Spoon into sterilised jars, keeps in fridge for 3 - 4 weeks. Makes about 3 cups.

A note from me : when you've finished cooking, it might look like the onions have gone too soft and mushy, and there's too much oil. But after it's sat overnight in the fridge, the onions will plump up again and absorb a lot of the liquid back in.

Also, we chopped the onions using the slicing blade on the food processor. I think using a mandoline would slice them too thinly.

Cheers, Celia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Onion Marmalade

by Jenise » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Your recipe reminds me of something I posted about a year ago that I saw on a cooking show--caramelized onions reduced with a whole bottle zinfandel into a jam. He made it for burgers, and I recall that he also made a frico of aged cheddar that went into the burger in place of the traditional cheese slice. I meant to try both immediately, but never have. :oops:

What would be in your "mixed spice"?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:54 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_spice

I used a Herbie's mix, which contained : Coriander Seed, Cassia, Cinnamon Quills, Nutmeg, Allspice, Ginger, Cloves.

Mixed spice is a sweet spice mix we use for cakes etc. I didn't realise it was an English/Aus/NZ thing. The allrecipes.com website makes the following suggestion :

Mixed spice is a blend of ground cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, mace, coriander seed and allspice. You may substitute allspice or pumpkin pie spice for mixed spice if it is not available.

Cheers, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:23 am

Thank you, *C*! I can't wait to make that and try it on some grilled sausages.

I noticed you even converted everything into American measurements. Cuz' you know I'm American and don't believe in the Metric System. :D
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.