Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Brining

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Brining

by ScottD » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:48 pm

I've been playing around with brines lately. Easter Sunday I did a bone-in pork loin roast and yesterday a nice chunk of tenderloin, for both I did a 12 hour brine that I put together (I work in a spice shop a few days a month and get freebies). My latest brining invention follows:

about a teaspoon of each
black peppercorn
whole allspice
whole mustard seed
lemongrass
lemon zest
lavender

equal parts (maybe 1/2 C) kosker salt and brown sugar, boil in 1 cup each cider vinegar and water. Once salt/suger dissolves add 5 cups ice to cool it down then introduce the pork product.

Both roasts were amazingly moist and tender. The lavender lends an interesting flavor and aroma.

Just thought I'd share.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: Brining

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:30 pm

I have brined turkey breasts before with great success, but never thought to brine a pork or beef tenderloin. Hmmm...
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:04 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:I have brined turkey breasts before with great success, but never thought to brine a pork or beef tenderloin. Hmmm...

That was a pork t-loin, just for clarification. My inspiration was a Good Eats episode where Alton brined pork chops before grilling, couple hours for those.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 am

As pork has become very lean, I have moved to brining most cuts of pork and have been happy with the results.
no avatar
User

Jim Hickman

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Jefferson City, Missouri

by Jim Hickman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:41 pm

Double-cut pork chops are great brined. I use 1/4 cup brown sugar with 1/4 cup kosher salt and a tablespoon of a featured spice. 1 cup of boiling water to dissolve the ingredients and one cup of cold water to cool it down. This is the right amount for 4 to 6 chops. I brine them overnight. My family loves them.

Jim
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:52 am

Greg Hollis wrote:As pork has become very lean, I have moved to brining most cuts of pork and have been happy with the results.

Correct. One must be wary however. Because pork has become so lean, some producers have "enhanced" the product by packing it in (or injecting) a liquid that contains a lot of salt. You don't want to brine such a product. Fortunately, if the meat has been "enhanced" there will be a note on the package indicating so.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:37 pm

MikeH wrote:
Greg Hollis wrote:As pork has become very lean, I have moved to brining most cuts of pork and have been happy with the results.

Correct. One must be wary however. Because pork has become so lean, some producers have "enhanced" the product by packing it in (or injecting) a liquid that contains a lot of salt. You don't want to brine such a product. Fortunately, if the meat has been "enhanced" there will be a note on the package indicating so.

Mike, have you noticed that these "up to 12 percent solution, very simply will not brown. They turn an unappetizing shade of gray and that is all one can get from it. Solution is nothing but a salt water that is injected to prolong shelf life, and I simply refuse to buy it. However I don't know of one ham that is not water injected, whether the water includes salt or not I do not know. Haven't baked a ham, but have two in the freezer, will have to try on on the Kamado soon.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:39 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
MikeH wrote:

Mike, have you noticed that these "up to 12 percent solution, very simply will not brown. They turn an unappetizing shade of gray and that is all one can get from it. Solution is nothing but a salt water that is injected to prolong shelf life, and I simply refuse to buy it. However I don't know of one ham that is not water injected, whether the water includes salt or not I do not know. Haven't baked a ham, but have two in the freezer, will have to try on on the Kamado soon.

Bob, somehow we have missed buying any of this "enhanced" pork. :) However, I can understand what you are saying. Adding a lot of brined water to the product means that when its cooked, you are steaming it mostly. So browning will be very difficult.
Cheers!
Mike