Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rising food prices

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Rising food prices

by Dave R » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:04 pm

A friend of mine sent me this article from the Farm Aid website. I thought it was interesting.

March 2008

Dear Laura,
I seem to be spending more and more at the grocery store these days. Is it true that corn prices and ethanol are making my food cost more?
Brenda Bates
Kansas City, MO

Hi Brenda,
You are so right to bring up this question! It really has been the subject of headlines lately. According to US government figures released earlier in March, grocery costs increased 5.1% over the past twelve months--nearly two times the typical annual increase and much faster than the overall rise in inflation. And according to predictions, prices are expected to surge another 4% in 2008. We are certainly paying more for our food these days but your question is: Why?

Ethanol is part of the equation but certainly not the whole story but before I gear up here, I have to preface this answer with the following statement: The cost of our food is a classic case of how our food system is overly complex, leading to confusing, intertwined and sometimes nonsensical trends. I swear, I am not just saying this because it was a tough question to research and answer succinctly. In trying to answer your question, I’ve had to look at pricing indices, trade regulations, weather patterns, corporate mergers…essentially every single part of our current, wacky food system. Okay, let’s roll!

Perhaps one of the biggest causes of the rise in food costs is the cost of oil. I think you’d agree that the rise in cost of fuel has tightened all of our budgets this year. No one feels this more than the farmers who cultivate their fields using heavy machinery, mix petroleum-based fertilizer, heat greenhouses through the winter, heat and cool livestock barns and often spend several days a week making deliveries or getting to market. When gas prices go up, the cost of production goes up dramatically. Farmers aren’t the only ones feeling the pain of higher fuel costs, however. We feel it at the grocery store too—many of our fresh food items are imported or transported cross-country and it simply costs more to get them shipped from wherever they come.

No one is happy with the cost of fuel these days--not to mention the environmental impact of burning fossil fuels--and alternative energy research and production are hot right now. One of those alternatives is ethanol, a fuel made from corn. Whether or not ethanol is the best solution is hotly debated (and this is another column so I will exercise restraint and not go off on a tangent!), but there have been major pushes in ethanol production as an alternative to oil. The direct results of the ethanol boom have been two-fold: The demand for corn forced the price up 134% to an average of $3.40/bushel in 2007 AND in the same year 15.3 million agricultural acres were shifted into corn production. Right now, we are producing the same amount of corn that we were in 1944 when we were helping to feed Europe during World War II.

Last year, 19% of the harvested corn crop was used for ethanol production, taking it out of the food supply. But that doesn’t just mean that you pay more for corn at the grocery store. Only about 10% of US corn is used for human consumption; the bulk of it is generally used for animal feed. So ethanol production has led to less corn for animal feed, which means that farmers have to pay more to feed their animals, a cost that gets passed on to consumers. Additionally, production falls as producers face higher feed costs, which, again, causes the price of chicken, pork, beef, eggs, and dairy to rise. (Yet another separate column: Since corn has been put into almost every processed food item, mostly in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup, you’ve seen the price of those items rise too!)

The other implication of ethanol is that the cost of other food items, like cereals and grains, are rising because farmers are planting more corn and less wheat and soy. At the same time, developing countries are consuming more and more wheat, corn, and soy (much of which comes from the U.S., especially now when the value of the dollar is so low). Add to this the droughts and erratic weather that have reduced the “global inventory” of grain supplies, particularly wheat, and we’ve got a classic supply and demand scenario.

If it costs more to grow the food, and there is high demand, it only makes sense that the prices are higher. Right? Indulge me for a sec to take this one step deeper into our analysis. Let’s start with the price of corn. Folks, at least in our world, can’t stop talking about $4 corn. For many farmers, it’s the first time in a long time they are actually getting paid more than the cost of production (again, another column). But if we a take step back from the excitement, and take inflation into account, the price of corn has actually been declining for the past thirty years. I found some excellent data in Food and Water Watch’s recent paper “Retail Realities: Corn Prices Do Not Drive Grocery Inflation.” The article states that farm gate prices of corn between 1980 and 1984 averaged around $6 bushel (taking inflation into account) whereas our prices today peak around $4. In the meantime, consumer goods, input costs and the cost of production have enjoyed a steady increase over that same time period. So if inflation-adjusted corn prices are declining (in spite of the cost of production increasing), why does our food cost more?

The article above, which I highly recommend (if data is at all interesting to you) takes us through four studies of consumer prices compared to crop prices. The conclusion: When crop prices are low, consumer prices generally stay the same or increase slightly; when crop prices are high, consumer prices rise noticeably. I have to say, the first time I read this (and the second and third) it was really hard to stomach. Over the long run, farmers are making less and we are paying more. Why (and who is profiting?)!?

As you probably know, our food is controlled by a handful of very wealthy companies. Four beef packers control 84% of the beef market, four pork packers control 66% of the pork market, four broiler processors control 59% of the chicken market, four wet corn millers control almost 69% of their market and four breakfast cereal companies control 78% of the wheat market. Notice a trend? With this kind of consolidation, farmers don’t set their own prices--they take what they can get from the one or two buyers in their area. These same companies lobby for farm policy that drives over-production of crops to keep prices low and counts on subsidies (instead of a fair price to the farmer) to keep farmers on the land growing cheap product for them.

In turn, a climate of high energy costs and high demand for raw materials makes it much easier to hike prices in the grocery store. Don’t get me wrong, it does cost more to produce food today and I firmly believe that we should be paying our farmers a fair price for the food that they grow. However, when you see that a farmer’s share of our food dollars has gone down 16% between 1984 and 2000 while food prices have been steadily rising, I get a little fired up! So where are our food dollars going if not to the farmer? Packaging, marketing and transportation have taken on a significantly larger significance in the division of our food dollars than a fair price to farmers. When we shop at the grocery store, in large part, this is a good bulk of our food dollars go and this is why our food costs more today than it did 20 years ago.

So, what to do with this heavy bit of information? As always, looking at numbers like these reminds me that buying direct from family farmers, even when prices are high, just makes me feel better about where my money is going. I wrote an article a while back about buying locally on a budget that I think still applies here.

At the grocery store I try to buy from companies that I know pay a premium price to their farmers. Sometimes, this means paying a little more or choosing between buying more or buying better. It’s not perfect; our food industrial food system is confusing and there isn’t always a perfect choice, but taking a little time to weigh the pros and cons of each item will at least make you feel a little better about where your dollars are going.

Check out our March farmer profile >>

Good Food
Find Good Food
Ask Laura
Take Action
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Rising food prices

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:43 pm

I don't think it's as simple as "blame Big Agribusiness".

The commodity markets for grain are worldwide these days, and they are under increasing upward price pressure for a number of reasons, including:

o Grain is being diverted to biofuel production.

o Increased prosperity in countries such as China has meant more demand for meat in the diet, and consequently more grain to feed those animals. Total grain consumption is higher than when that grain went directly to feed people.

o To help shield their people against the rising grain prices, many grain producing countries (such as Viet Nam and Thailand for rice) are exporting less and selling more of their production on their domestic markets. This means even less grain on the international markets and that means higher prices on those markets.

o Higher petroleum prices mean higher transport costs for grain and that pushes the price up.

"Buy locally" is all well and good, and certainly will help, but I can't buy wheat locally in New Hampshire--we don't grow it here, and unless prices doubled or tripled it would be impractical for us to grow our own supply. And unless we were to go back to colonial days and forgo fresh fruit and vegetables entirely except in the summer harvest seasons, fruit and vegetables in New England will always be mostly shipped in from long distances away.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Thanks Paul, the letter in the original response was all well and good, but it did reflect a certain bias.
If the big agribiz companies can push the prices any way they wish, why where food prices so low for so long, prior to the current uptick?

There are many factors at play here. Some call it a perfect storm.

I just spent the last two days at a trade show. The cooking oil folks were the most bleak of the lot; they are predicting huge increases over the next year. This, on top of the fact that the 35 lb container of soybean frying shortening that your favorite restaurant uses to cook their french fries has climbed from about $18 at the beginning of 2007 to $30 today!

Another factor - the costs to fuel our fleet of delivery vehicles is runnning $40K per month over budget! That has to get passed along, on top of the inbound freght increases we've already been hit with.

If oil drops back to the $50 or so dollars is should cost, a lot of the problems should go away.
In addition, I think a lot of the commodity speculators who've piled in near a market top have to be punished, as markets are wont to do.
A correction, contrary to conventional wisdom, would not surprise me.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:26 pm

%^(

The market on oil traded anyplace in the world is based on U.S. dollars per barrel of oil ... given supply and demand remain fairly equal, the price of oil will continue to RISE as the U.S. dollar compared to other currencies continues to fall ! And brother has it been falling ! NOTHING on the economic horizon indicates it will do anything but continue to fall ...

Just got my March fertilizer bill for our lemons ... $786.00 this year compared to the high 400's this same time a year ago ... fertilizer is a pertroleum product ! Minimum wage which here in Arizona is pegged to the CPI and went up in January ... anybody think the CPI is gonna EVER go negative ? Arizona Public Service, the major electrical supplier in the state of Arizona, is looking for their THIRD rate increase in 12 months - this one 10 percent ! In February, the price of my corrugated boxes went up 10 percent ... In January, my plastic bags went up 15 percent - another petroleum product ... the price of diesel, whether on the farm or on the road, is about $1.25 a gallon higher than a year ago ...

Get real folks ! While food and energy are stripped out of the CPI, NEITHER are going down EVER ! But there's no inflation ! Oh BTW ... been over two years since I've seen a raise on my weekly paycheck ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:44 pm

Bill Spencer wrote: NOTHING on the economic horizon indicates it will do anything but continue to fall ...

Which is EXACTLY why I'm looking for a big, fat correction in the dollar vs euro. Great fortunes have been made betting against conventional wisdom.
Sooner or later, those folks over there are going to get tired of their products losing market share to US producers. Have you been watching the price of US Steel (ticker: X) lately? Remember when the US steel industry was dead? They were shoveling dirt on the corpse. Now, nobody can compete with our steel.

Patience.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:33 pm

John Tomasso wrote:Patience.

%^)

My dear friend John ...

How is that going to positively affect rising food prices ?

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:50 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:
John Tomasso wrote:Patience.

How is that going to positively affect rising food prices?

Bill,

A correction in the U.S. Dollar (and by that I think John means the USD increasing in value vis-à-vis foreign currencies) will reduce foreign demand for our food which will in turn lead to lower prices for domestically produced food.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:57 pm

John Tomasso wrote:A correction, contrary to conventional wisdom, would not surprise me.

Hopefully today was the begining of a reversal. The broad equity market soared while gold and U.S. treasuries slumped.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:21 pm

Dave,

Unfortunately, I very much doubt it. For the past 20 years or so, the average US consumer has been spending beyond her/his means. It's way past time that the average person realizes that he/she's NOT a famous movie star, and neither needs nor can afford the latest clothes fashion every year, despite what TV advertising might say. And our kids don't need this year's coolest sneakers or whatever. Especially since they're just going to grow out of them in 6 months anyway.

If you have any credit card debt, you're playing the game wrong, you're a loser, and you're about to get burned very VERY badly, Doubly so, if you've taken out a second mortgage to buy additional things you really can't afford.

And that, painful as it may be to say, you are trying to live above your station in life.

We're not all millionaires. We can't all afford to live like one. Despite what the advertisements say.

I'm afraid that Americans are about to get a major lesson in how to live within their means. And a lot of folks aren't going to like it very much.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:28 pm

Paul, you are thinking on the right track...I have known this for years, we in these United States are in for a big life change. I'm almost ready!
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:46 pm

Paul,

I agree completely with what you stated so I wonder which part of what I said you "doubt"? I'm not arguing with you, but am just asking for clarification in case I misstated anything.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:01 pm

I don't think there's any reversal of fortunes in the money market at hand. I think we're headed for a crash.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:47 am

Bill Spencer wrote:How is that going to positively affect rising food prices ?

It's just a little philosophy I have, Bill. If I don't like the way things are going, I've noticed that soon enough, the pendulum swings the other way. Conversely, when I do like the way things are going, the pendulum ALSO swings the other way. The only constant is that the pendulum keeps swinging.

I don't know if prices of food will come down. No one does. I do think things will adjust accordingly. In other words, if inflation really takes hold, then incomes will adjust as money becomes cheaper.

Remember when a good luxury car cost $7K? I do. And that was a big stretch for all but the wealthiest folks. Now, a car of equivalent quality costs, what, five or six times that, maybe more. Yet, I still see them on the road.

Right now, I'm in a good spot. My income is a function of food prices - when they go up, the percentage of the selling price that represents profit does as well; e.g. sell a box of lemons for $20 with a 15% margin, profit equals $3 of which I get a fixed cut. Sell the same box for $40 at 15% margin, profit equals $6, of which I get a fixed cut. Of course, our expenses are rising, too. And if things ever get as bad as the NY Times would have people believe they are, folks will quit going out to eat, my sales will decline, and my income will shrink. I'm not seeing that in the numbers, yet. The restaurants are still humming here, though operators are very concerned with their margins. That's what I try to help them with. If I'm successful at it, hopefully they'll keep me around.

I think in the future, the worry won't be so much with the price of food, as it will the availability. Things are going to be in short supply, as emerging, growing economies compete for the same resources. I think people will be glad to have some things, at any price. Being able to provide those things is the new challenge.

I refuse to be pessimistic about the future. Instead, I'm excited about it, and I truly believe that this is a fabulous time to be alive.

Just think, 75 years ago you and I would have to be having this conversation by mail. :wink:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:03 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Dave,

Unfortunately, I very much doubt it. For the past 20 years or so, the average US consumer has been spending beyond her/his means. It's way past time that the average person realizes that he/she's NOT a famous movie star, and neither needs nor can afford the latest clothes fashion every year, despite what TV advertising might say. And our kids don't need this year's coolest sneakers or whatever. Especially since they're just going to grow out of them in 6 months anyway.

If you have any credit card debt, you're playing the game wrong, you're a loser, and you're about to get burned very VERY badly, Doubly so, if you've taken out a second mortgage to buy additional things you really can't afford.

And that, painful as it may be to say, you are trying to live above your station in life.

We're not all millionaires. We can't all afford to live like one. Despite what the advertisements say.

I'm afraid that Americans are about to get a major lesson in how to live within their means. And a lot of folks aren't going to like it very much.

-Paul W.

You can say the same things about the current administration. I don't hear any drumbeats about a balanced budget amendment like I did just eight years ago.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:40 am

Larry Greenly wrote:You can say the same things about the current administration. I don't hear any drumbeats about a balanced budget amendment like I did just eight years ago.

Yeah, this administration is definitely the first in memory to spend beyond its means. :roll:
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:10 pm

anybody think the CPI is gonna EVER go negative ?

Actually I do and I fear it more than inflation. Look at population demographics and how we are entering the begining stages of the baby boomer retirement. Remember that consumer spending makes up roughly two-thirds of the economy and that as the boomers start to retire in mass they also start to downsize their spending. Less demand ultimately leads to lower prices. Don't believe it look at Japan in the 1990's or the US in the 1930s.

Yeah, this administration is definitely the first in memory to spend beyond its means.

IMO, this makes trying to advert the problem worse than the problem. The GAO estimates the US has future obligations of over $50T. Some have it higher. Total GDP is less than $14T. Even balancing the budget today does not fix the problem of what is already committed for the future. However, adding more debt to advert something now just makes the future problem even worse.

I think we're headed for a crash

Me to and a deflationary one at that which makes the debt obligations even worse. History does not predict the future but looking at the examples cited above of 1990 Japan and the Great Depression one sees many similar situations with asset bubbles, credit tightening, and demographic changes.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:39 pm

John,

You are right about the pendulum continuing to swing throughout history. And your optimism is warranted based upon some quick research I conducted today. The pendulum swings further, historically during this century, in the positive direction.

During peak down pendulum swings in 1914, 1921, 1932, 1938, 1974 and 1977 compared to peak up pendulum swings in 1929, 1959, 1992 and 2000 the peak up swings outweigh, significantly, the peak downswings.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:01 pm

Brian,

That is very astute analysis.

One of my concerns is the demographic impact. Baby boomers are in their prime earning years of their life and, at least the intelligent ones, are investing as much as they can in their Roth IRA’s and 401-K’s. Once they retire, and draw funds out of their retirement plans to support their retirement, that will impose a strain upon the market.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:09 am

Dave R wrote:
One of my concerns is the demographic impact. Baby boomers are in their prime earning years of their life and, at least the intelligent ones, are investing as much as they can in their Roth IRA’s and 401-K’s. Once they retire, and draw funds out of their retirement plans to support their retirement, that will impose a strain upon the market.

Yes but the impact is not limited to the stock market. There are fairly clear historical trends related to the ages at which people buy their first house, trade up to their second house and then downsize to something smaller or go back to renting towards in their later days. The current housing problem is actually in front of the demographic anticipated housing problems which could be good in that the shakeup is starting early and hopefully the crash wont be as bad since the outrageous appreciation was halted a few years earlier than anticipated or it could be worse in that the recovery that everyone is hoping for to bring the economy back will not materialize. My take is that it is not a good thing to have a large amount of houses vacant in front of the anticipated baby boomer house downsizing. In this case the problems we are experiencing now with forclosures and falling home values could be nothing compared to what we could be seeing in a few more years.

Also as the baby boomers retire and draw social security, it is not much longer before the social security tax collected no longer covers the amount paid out. Currently the social security tax collected is roughly 2% of GDP greater than paid out in a given year such that the Federal Government's deficit of 2% of GDP per year is really 4% but the excess SS tax cuts it in half. The really scary part is that once SS stops running a surplus most estimates show it quickly running a deficit (again due to demographics) such that without any changes the Federal Deficit quickly moves from roughly 2% of GDP to close to 5% of GDP.

This all raises the overall debt level. Moody's recently announced that if the US debt to GDP level crosses 90% they will drop the AAA raitings on US treasuries. Seemed like a strange time to make the announcement with current debt to GDP ration is only around 65% but as one looks at the demographic impacts it becomes clear that a combination of events could transpire to put current debt to GDP close to that point in the realtively short timeframe of only a few years. I believe that if this happens the impacts could be irreversible and the days of the US being a super power (at least economically) would be over. Foreign investement in treasuries would drop requiring the Fed to print more money further decreasing the value of the dollar and in the ultimate worst case scenario the dollar could be replaced as the currency of trade on the world commodity market. It was not all that long ago that the world standard currenty was the british pound so while difficult and painful to convert the markets definetly not outside the realm of the possible.

That all sounds like gloom and doom but it does not have to happen. However, I have little faith that the will exists to avert it. Everyone from the Politicians in Washington to the Suits on Wall Street want to play to the short term solution. It is the election cycle or the quarterly earnings report that drives behavior in these days and the long term issues keep getting pushed out until there is no way left to fix them.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:30 pm

%^(

From the Arizona Farm Bureau Federation -

"Retail food prices at the supermarket increased in the first quarter of 2008 according to the latest Arizona Farm Bureau Federation marketbasket survey. The total cost of 16 basic grocery items was $53.53, up $4.33 or 8.1 percent from the fourth quarter of 2007. Comparatively, the American Farm Bureau Federation U.S. survey found the total cost of the 16 basic grocery items was $45.03, up $3.42 or 7.6 percent from the fourth quarter of 2007."

Seven-and-a-half to 8 percent in ONE quarter ?! YIKES !

Clink !

%^)

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:%^(

From the Arizona Farm Bureau Federation -

"Retail food prices at the supermarket increased in the first quarter of 2008 according to the latest Arizona Farm Bureau Federation marketbasket survey. The total cost of 16 basic grocery items was $53.53, up $4.33 or 8.1 percent from the fourth quarter of 2007. Comparatively, the American Farm Bureau Federation U.S. survey found the total cost of the 16 basic grocery items was $45.03, up $3.42 or 7.6 percent from the fourth quarter of 2007."

Seven-and-a-half to 8 percent in ONE quarter ?! YIKES !

Clink !

%^)

And yet you can get USDA grade Choice porterhouse steaks in Arizona for $4.99 per pound? Something does not seem right here. I'm puzzled, Bill.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:42 pm

You mean food is costing more than a nickel increase in bread, etc.? Wow.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:44 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:You can say the same things about the current administration. I don't hear any drumbeats about a balanced budget amendment like I did just eight years ago.

Yeah, this administration is definitely the first in memory to spend beyond its means. :roll:

It started with George Washington, who borrowed money. But you might find these figures interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_d ... tial_terms :roll: