Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

About Indian food

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: About Indian food

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Clint Hall wrote:This, as I understand it, is why we see almost exclusively Mughal cooking in restaurants in America. And that's a shame as Indian regional home cooking can be wonderful.

Including Mughal cooking, it needs to be said.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:05 pm

Jenise wrote:I love Indian food.

But one of the reasons I put off going out for Indian food is that it's all sauces, meat and heavy carbohydrates.
Are the restaurants here just serving the food they think Western diners want, or does the typical Indian diet actually eschew raw/fresh foods? That would be the conclusion I'd draw from the few Indian cookbooks I have, but I wouldn't rule out that what-Westerners-want factor there either.

Restaurants here seem to have 'standard' fare as well.
However, my first taste of Indian food was in Fiji and there was plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables accompanying the food and to balance the heat.

As for home cooking Indian, have you looked at any of Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks? I fell in love with her cooking about 20 years ago.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:38 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Jenise wrote:I love Indian food.

But one of the reasons I put off going out for Indian food is that it's all sauces, meat and heavy carbohydrates.
Are the restaurants here just serving the food they think Western diners want, or does the typical Indian diet actually eschew raw/fresh foods? That would be the conclusion I'd draw from the few Indian cookbooks I have, but I wouldn't rule out that what-Westerners-want factor there either.

Restaurants here seem to have 'standard' fare as well.
However, my first taste of Indian food was in Fiji and there was plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables accompanying the food and to balance the heat.

As for home cooking Indian, have you looked at any of Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks? I fell in love with her cooking about 20 years ago.

Yes, I'm a fan, and the book I use most for Indian food inspiration is hers.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous