Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking from the French Laundry Cookbook

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cooking from the French Laundry Cookbook

by Jenise » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:14 pm

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Re: Cooking from the French Laundry Cookbook

by Martin Barz » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:18 pm

Hollandaise from KNORR :shock:
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Martin Barz wrote:Hollandaise from KNORR :shock:

Wasn't that funny? I hope you got far enough to realize that this was an April Fools post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Ha!!!

I'm sure Peeps are something Thomas Keller never goes without....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:42 pm

I have that cookbook - the recipes are very work intensive. Has anyone here made any that you would make again?
It was great reading but I have not tried a single thing. Chiarello'sTra Vigne is a fun book, as well.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:06 pm

Keller was on Charlie Rose last week. He talked about his philosophy in writing this cookbook. He was opposed to putting any recipes in the book, but his editor and publicist told him he was crazy -- they would not be able to sell a cookbook without recipes. He's an interesting guy and I'd love to have dinner with him, but I don't think I would wantto have a conversation with him about food. His relationship with food is far too intense for my appetite. Food is supposed to be taken seriously, but I think there is also supposed to be an element of fun. I didn't get the idea that Mr. Keller has fun with his food, but he has had some fabulous experiences! :shock: I do plan to purchase the book. :|
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:16 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Keller was on Charlie Rose last week. He talked about his philosophy in writing this cookbook. He was opposed to putting any recipes in the book, but his editor and publicist told him he was crazy -- they would not be able to sell a cookbook without recipes. He's an interesting guy and I'd love to have dinner with him, but I don't think I would wantto have a conversation with him about food. His relationship with food is far too intense for my appetite. Food is supposed to be taken seriously, but I think there is also supposed to be an element of fun. I didn't get the idea that Mr. Keller has fun with his food, but he has had some fabulous experiences! :shock: I do plan to purchase the book. :|

My wife's boss actually cooks stuff from that book on a somewhat regular basis. As for us, it's one of the few cookbooks published in English that my wife has stayed away from. Too much work!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:01 am

I finally now know what Peeps are! Always had wondered...cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:55 am

I was about to get all huffy and scoff at the absence of the miniature, multicolored, pastel-tinted marshmallows - and then she substituted the Peeps!

Brilliant!
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:17 am

That is too funny Jenise! The peeps part really made me LOL. Those pancakes didn't look half bad though.

I have the French Laundry Cookbook too, but haven't ever attempted anything from it. But it's are really nice looking cookbook :D .
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:47 am

"Mad knife skills." - II LOVED it!

rwj
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Guilty. I have used the French Laundry cookbook and have made some things multiple times.

I think of it as "graduate school" -- the way it relates to most other cookbooks is very similar to how getting my PhD felt as compared to undergraduate work. All those details, all that time! If you want to try something in the same vein but a little less stressful, get the Bouchon cookbook. It's still Thomas Keller but a few of the recipes are actually EASY, and just about all of them are delicious. Both books expect you to make stock (really a meat glaze) that takes several days to execute.

As to what I've done, hmm, quail eggs and the potato blini, not so bad. My neighbor made the black sea bass with spinach. Yabba Dabba Do -- friends have cooked and I've done a version of it, and I have done the Pommes Anna with prunes that is part of the recipe, separately. The composed cheeses are good, many times I have made a salad based on his Ashy Chevre with beets. I bought a Girolle and have served Tete de Moine cheese many times simply because I love the picture on page 245. My wife made the lemon Sabayon on 294 but I wasn't crazy about it and I think maybe the one place where my idol Thomas Keller falls a little short is in desserts. I used page 171 to truss and roast a chicken -- but he gives more specifics in Bouchon.

I think it is a valid criticism that a LOT of the effort in making the French Laundry recipes is aimed at features of style and presentation that the home cook may not care very much about. Food that is "chichi." I don't mind spending 3 days on a meat stock that will make every single diner roll his eyes. But working to slice things so thin that I can read a newspaper through them seems a little like a waste of time. Buy the Bouchon cookbook, the food tends to be honest savory and wonderful. Bistro cooking at the very highest level...

Frank

PS I forgot "Peas and Carrots." I've had that home cooked several times but have never made the dish myself -- I think of my cooking/dining circle as kind of a cohesive group. It's butter poached lobster and at least I can state that it tastes fabulous when done in a home kitchen.
Last edited by Frank Deis on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:36 pm

But working to slice things so thin that I can read a newspaper through them seems a little like a waste of time. Buy...

...a mandoline. MUCH better solution. 8)
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:06 pm

This year's April Fools post was pretty funny (but not as classic as the '07).

I will never buy my wife this cookbook. She did the Keller recipe for lobster with beet essence, etc one time:
http://carolcookskeller.blogspot.com/20 ... leeks.html

I got home to find her madly cooking/mandolining/etc. Hours (several) later we had a fantastic meal. And then I spend about 2 hours cleaning up.
Food is great, but to me these are recipes for someone with a prep guy and (human) dishwasher.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:19 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Guilty. I have used the French Laundry cookbook and have made some things multiple times.

I think of it as "graduate school" -- the way it relates to most other cookbooks is very similar to how getting my PhD felt as compared to undergraduate work. All those details, all that time! If you want to try something in the same vein but a little less stressful, get the Bouchon cookbook. It's still Thomas Keller but a few of the recipes are actually EASY, and just about all of them are delicious. Both books expect you to make stock (really a meat glaze) that takes several days to execute.

As to what I've done, hmm, quail eggs and the potato blini, not so bad. My neighbor made the black sea bass with spinach. Yabba Dabba Do -- friends have cooked and I've done a version of it, and I have done the Pommes Anna with prunes that is part of the recipe, separately. The composed cheeses are good, many times I have made a salad based on his Ashy Chevre with beets. I bought a Girolle and have served Tete de Moine cheese many times simply because I love the picture on page 245. My wife made the lemon Sabayon on 294 but I wasn't crazy about it and I think maybe the one place where my idol Thomas Keller falls a little short is in desserts. I used page 171 to truss and roast a chicken -- but he gives more specifics in Bouchon.

I think it is a valid criticism that a LOT of the effort in making the French Laundry recipes is aimed at features of style and presentation that the home cook may not care very much about. Food that is "chichi." I don't mind spending 3 days on a meat stock that will make every single diner roll his eyes. But working to slice things so thin that I can read a newspaper through them seems a little like a waste of time. Buy the Bouchon cookbook, the food tends to be honest savory and wonderful. Bistro cooking at the very highest level...

Frank

PS I forgot "Peas and Carrots." I've had that home cooked several times but have never made the dish myself -- I think of my cooking/dining circle as kind of a cohesive group. It's butter poached lobster and at least I can state that it tastes fabulous when done in a home kitchen.

Frank, good analysis. I feel the same, though I may like "chichi" more than you. Did you ever do his lobster braised in butter? Ultimate decadence, that. And oh the things you can do with that butter later!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:28 pm

Jenise wrote: Did you ever do his lobster braised in butter? Ultimate decadence, that. And oh the things you can do with that butter later!

After the evening I mentioned, I suggested Betsy save the poached lobster part, forget the beet essence and the leek mix (tasty though they were). We've done just the lobster couple times since.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:00 pm

And "Peas and Carrots" in my PS is another butter poached lobster dish.

Just in case I didn't get the point across -- you can get a very similar level of satisfaction from the Bouchon cookbook. But the point there is really deliciousness. The Salmon Rillette is a complete piece of cake, totally quick and easy, and is a knockout appetizer. I would have to go through the whole cookbook to remind myself what I have done but there are many more recipes than French Laundry and frankly I no longer look in the FL cookbook when I want to make "something special."

The Parisian Gnocchi with winter squash is a wonderful classic. The French Onion Soup is phenomenal. It takes hours and hours but it is one hundred percent totally worth it. Once again the shortcoming I can recall is the "bouchon" -- literally "plug" (the restaurant is named for the Lyons version of "bistro", you plug your hole meaning you fill your belly) -- a "bouchon" is a little chocolate cake shaped like a plug. My wife executed this and it's not up there with her better desserts, and I'm sure she did it perfectly.

SO -- if you are a home chef with ambition, buy Bouchon and give it a try...

Frank
no avatar
User

Nico Padilla

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:48 am

Tung Chung, Lantau

by Nico Padilla » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:47 am

I agree. My wife has made several dishes from Bouchon with excellent results.

Frank Deis wrote:Guilty. I have used the French Laundry cookbook and have made some things multiple times.

xxx I used page 171 to truss and roast a chicken -- but he gives more specifics in Bouchon.

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:37 pm

Frank Deis wrote: It's butter poached lobster and at least I can state that it tastes fabulous when done in a home kitchen.

This recipe intrigued me because I would like to be able to produce a non-chewy lobster tail. Does this recipe do the trick?
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:01 am

Ha, those dishes look appropriately foul.

I've done a few things from the French Laundry Cookbook. It's not just good for the presented dishes, but also for taking out or modifying single components and using them for other dishes. The White truffle oil-infused custards (p.16) are fantastic (I do them with a porcini ragout instead, so vegetarians eat them) and are very dramatic in their presentation. The Port-poached fig sauce (p.133) which he serves with lobster seems unusual and can work really well with fish too. The Black Sea Bass with sweet parsnips, spinach and saffron-vanilla (p.166) is less time intensive than other dishes and yet still great, as is the Spotted Skate Wing with braised red cabbage and mustard sauce (p.161) (though the sauce can overpower a bit). His Île Flottante (p.290) is a superb reinterpretation of the classic and one of the most fun and interesting dishes I've done from the book. BTW, one thing about the butter poached lobster: make sure you use a butter you're sure you like the taste of! (Speaking from experience :))
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:36 pm

Greg Hollis wrote:
Frank Deis wrote: It's butter poached lobster and at least I can state that it tastes fabulous when done in a home kitchen.

This recipe intrigued me because I would like to be able to produce a non-chewy lobster tail. Does this recipe do the trick?

Hi Greg -- I let your question wait hoping someone else would answer. It has been a while since I have had this dish and perhaps someone will correct me. Lobster tails get very tough when they are even slightly overcooked. It is a good thing to err on the side of sushi if you like tender lobster. But even then -- the claw meat seems to be predictably a lot more tender than the tail. The tail is a very large and often used muscle.

What I am dancing around is this -- I don't necessarily think that butter poaching is a panacea for tough lobster tail. As I try to remember the dish, I am not positive that the tail didn't require some chewing.

I think other people have done this more recently. What do you think? Is butter poaching the best way to have a tender lobster, or how do you produce the silkiest sweetest tail meat?

F
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:50 pm

Frank Deis wrote:
Greg Hollis wrote:

Hi Greg -- I let your question wait hoping someone else would answer. It has been a while since I have had this dish and perhaps someone will correct me. Lobster tails get very tough when they are even slightly overcooked. It is a good thing to err on the side of sushi if you like tender lobster. But even then -- the claw meat seems to be predictably a lot more tender than the tail. The tail is a very large and often used muscle.

What I am dancing around is this -- I don't necessarily think that butter poaching is a panacea for tough lobster tail. As I try to remember the dish, I am not positive that the tail didn't require some chewing.

I think other people have done this more recently. What do you think? Is butter poaching the best way to have a tender lobster, or how do you produce the silkiest sweetest tail meat?

F

Thanks, Frank. Hopefully someone else will be able to weigh in. One advantage of the butter poaching as outlined the FL is that you can control the cook time for the tails and claws separately.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:39 pm

okay, but going back to the original post and Carole Cooks Keller? I almost laughed til I cried at the peeps in the jello.

I was going to do a dinner party once from the French Laundry cookbook. I even had invited people--Robin and Mary were among the invitees. Then I read the book...and took a look at my kitchen, with its ...well, with its not always working stove. I had to uninvite people.

And we never mentioned it again.

b