Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Tarragon/Lemon Angel Food Cake

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

RCP: Tarragon/Lemon Angel Food Cake

by Robert J. » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:33 pm

I've been playing with herbs lately. Not the one I used to play with so much but the varieties we tend to ingest rather than inhale (although that one works great as the former, too :wink: ). Here is what I toyed with at work today while doing some testing. The overall response was a resounding YES!

1 1/2 cups Egg Whites
1 1/2 cups Superfine (Castor) Sugar
1 cup Sifted Cake Flour
1 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1/4 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Vanilla Paste or Extract (use paste if you can get it)
4 Tbsp. Chopped Fresh Tarragon
Zest of 1 Lemon

Preheat oven to 325*.

Sift the cake flour and 3/4 cup of the sugar into a small bowl and set aside.

Beat the egg whites until frothy, then add the cream of tartar and salt. Beat until fully incorporated then begin adding the remaining 3/4 cup sugar a little at a time. When the sugar has been added beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Do not beat to stiff peaks. When the egg whites have reached the soft peak stage add the vanilla, lemon zest, and tarragon and beat gently until evenly distributed.

Sift the flour/sugar mixture over the egg whites in 3-6 additions and gently fold it into the whites after each addition. Take your time so as not to deflate the egg whites.

Spoon the batter into an ungreased 9 inch tube pan with a (preferably) removable bottom. Smooth the top of the batter with a spatula and tap the pan gently on the counter to insure that there are no large air bubbles lurking underneath the surface.

Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly pressed. Check the cake at 45-50 minutes.

Remove cake from oven and invert over the pan over a wine bottle. Allow to cool completely or overnight.

Gently run a knife around the sides of the pan to release the cake when you are ready to serve it.

Serve with fresh strawberries and creme chantilly.

rwj