Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

MFK Fisher: Current day food writers?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

MFK Fisher: Current day food writers?

by Greg H » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:47 pm

I have always enjoyed the writings of MFK Fisher which were about much more than food. What current food writers approach their subject with a similar level of understanding?
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: MFK Fisher: Current day food writers?

by David Creighton » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:56 pm

well, other than understanding, her virtue - like many of her generation but few since - was her command of the language. at least as good and understanding is to be found in edward behr - whose publication, the art of eating, even echoes her.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:53 pm

Greg Hollis wrote:I have always enjoyed the writings of MFK Fisher which were about much more than food. What current food writers approach their subject with a similar level of understanding?

Greg,
I have one MFK recipe, (if it can be called a recipe) it is for ratatouille and I have it compliments of Jenise posting on the forum some few years ago. Best damned ratatouille I have ever had, I liked the dish, so went to the local library and checked the same book out and read it from cover to cover Her writings make for good reading unlike a regular recipe book.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:46 am

Thanks David and Bob,

It is a treat when you find a writer you enjoy that uses food as part of their musings.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:28 pm

Although she passed away a few years ago, Laurie Colwin...And while she's not a food writer, her lovely writings are really threaded through with allusions to food--Diana Abu Jaber--I loved Language of Baklava....and hmm. Time flies, doesn't it? I just looked and saw Laurie Colwin died 15 years ago.

Anyway... my two cents.

Barb