Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grandma Mae's Rye Bread

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Grandma Mae's Rye Bread

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:16 pm

Makes 3 loaves

1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (+/- 110 degrees F)

1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup melted butter
2 1/2 cups warm water
3 tbsp honey
3 tbsp molasses
4 cups dark rye flour
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour

Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes.

In a large bowl, beat the egg, melted butter, water, and sweeteners together. Pour in yeast mixture. Slowly stir in flours.

Knead dough on a floured counter (I use my Kitchen Aid!) until smooth and elastic, adding in small amounts of flour if necessary. Place dough in a large greased bowl, cover with a clean towel sprayed with water and allow to rise in a warm place until double.

Punch down and allow to rise again until double. Punch down again and divide into 3 equal portions.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Shape into loaves and place in greased pans. Allow to rise again to nearly double.

Bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until the loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.

I sometimes do these in round loaves on a stone, but I have some terra cotta bread pans from my hometown that make a beautiful crust.

This is a grilled cheese made from this bread a couple weeks ago. Stuart objected to the orange cheese, but as I explained at the time, it was the only reasonably priced extra sharp cheddar in the store that day, and extra sharp is very important!

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: Grandma Mae's Rye Bread

by Celia » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:43 pm

Yum ! Thanks Cynthia, I've printed this out, and I'm going to try it. I didn't get the proportions right the first time, so I'll try again, as Pete looooves rye bread. I've got some lovely black steel bread pans that I'll dig out for this recipe.

Cheers, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:37 am

I'm sure it will be perfect, Miss Baxter! :D
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:07 pm

You have my shipping address, right?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:13 pm

Cynthia, I was reading about terracotta loaf pans - I'd never considered one until I read your post. Do you have to soak it first before baking ?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:35 pm

Nope. No soaking required. In fact, I would imagine that would be pretty disastrous.

I've used a few different kinds of terra cotta bakeware. The stuff made in my hometown is a miracle product. Perfect crispness of the food and perfect non-stick function. In addition to a bread pan, I have a large oval baking dish that I use for mac & cheese, for example. It's amazing stuff.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:08 pm

OK, will you share your home town and the name of the business that makes this miracle product? I may even make some bread!
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Cynthia, are these terra cotta dishes glazed?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:49 pm

I grew up in Alfred, New York, home of the New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University. The product was developed there. My family is still there, including my kids. (Hi, Liz!)

Tufty Ceramics

Unfortunately, Karen (Tufty) isn't set up to take credit cards. But she will take a check.

It's also carried by my favorite country gift shop there, the Canacadea Country Store, owned by long-time family friend Don Cameron. Their inventory of Karen's products varies. They do take credit cards and will ship for you, but have no web site. 599 Rte 244 Alfred Station, NY 14803 Phone: 607.587.8634

I need to pick up some more bread pans myself. Jack pulled one off the counter and shattered it on the saltillo tile floor in my last residence.

Disclaimer: No financial interest at all, I just love the stuff!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:54 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Cynthia, are these terra cotta dishes glazed?

No, they aren't glazed in the sense I think you mean, Linda. They have a very specific and unique ceramic coating, but not a traditional pottery glaze.

I'll make mac & cheese for dinner tonight and take photos of the bakeware... before, during, and after so you can see it and also see how simple the clean up is.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:48 pm

I use one, too, and it's everything Cynthia says it is and more. Baked-on cheese pops off like it's Teflon. GREAT heat properties. It takes a simple seasoning process; I've been using mine every few days for several months now without having to re-season.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:31 am

Cynthia-
Thanks for the recipe!! Sounds great and NJ has committed to putting it in the bread baking queue. Part of her unending quest for the ultimate rye bread.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!