Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

What's for dinner?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:58 am

What are you having?

I am having a hard time deciding what I feel like eating tonight. Maybe you are making the perfect dish, and as soon as I see it, I will just know.

(Can you tell I don't do too much meal planning? :oops: It's easy to just go with whims when you are cooking for only yourself most of the time.)
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: What's for dinner?

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:13 am

Well, I can't say what we're having tonight because it's a Cheers night, and I'm taking a pineapple bundt cake from the muffin recipe.

I can tell you what we had the last two nights. Wednesday - Chicken and mushrooms with a brandy cream sauce and broccoli rice. Thursday - Roast pork studded with garlic and coated with oregano, S&P, with spicy black beans and sweet potatoes and peppers.

I like these threads! I enjoy hearing what others are putting together.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:05 am

Pane cotta - cooked bread. I made cabbage soup with a leftover ham bone earlier in the week. Some dried out ciabatta went into the leftovers , enough to soak up the liquid and will be ready for the second cooking tonight. A few chopped garlic cloves and dried hot red pepper gets sauteed in olive oil and the bread/cabbage mix is added and re cooked till brown, crispy crusts form. Served with a dusting of grated parm or pecorino and black pepper. A true peasant dish. Well worth making lots of extra cabbage soup for this reincarnation. Some steamed broccoli, a salad and a nice Zin. Can't wait for the day to be over.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:24 am

After reading the shrimp scampi post, I think I'll make that for dinner!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:49 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:What are you having?

I don't know. Pizza maybe? :D

Since I will be in Napa all day, I imagine that it will be something that goes well with grapes and tourists. But for something quick and easy, I might select escarole and beans in a light broth accompanied by some crusty Italian bread and a dry Italian white wine. Barring that, I have some frozen entrées from TJ's in the freezer. :roll:

Escarole and Beans:

(1) 28 ounce can of cannellini (white kidney) beans
(1) head of escarole
(5-6) cloves of garlic
(1) quart broth (any kind, but chicken is best, vegetable for the intransigent)
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne flakes (optional)
Olive oil

Lightly sweat 5 to 6 (or more) thickly sliced pieces of garlic in enough olive oil to just about cover the bottom of whatever pot you're using. Add cayenne flakes here for a spicier meal. Add broth and bring to boil, then lower to simmer. Wash off beans and add to broth. Just let them warm through and not boil them because you don't want a cloudy mush. Add torn escarole and let wilt. Salt and pepper to taste. Eat. Usually good buried in a heap of grated Parm or Asiago.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:05 am

You are asking this question before lunch!?

(Can you tell I don't do too much meal planning?

You obviously do more than I do! :D

I do have some smoked pork chops around here ... I might come up with something interesting to do with them.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:01 pm

I am having a hard time deciding what I feel like eating tonight. Maybe you are making the perfect dish, and as soon as I see it, I will just know.

(Can you tell I don't do too much meal planning? :oops: It's easy to just go with whims when you are cooking for only yourself most of the time.)

Given the warm weather here today, it'll probably be... barbecue -- homemade or takeout TBD.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:18 pm

I have some Nueske’s apple wood smoked bacon so I am preparing a bacon-centric menu this evening.

Cream of potato, leek and bacon soup
Spinach salad with hot bacon vinaigrette
Grilled swordfish steaks wrapped in bacon

And what meal would be complete without dessert. Does anyone have a recipe for bacon cheesecake or bacon ice cream? :wink:
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:33 pm

Dave R wrote:I have some Nueske’s apple wood smoked bacon so I am preparing a bacon-centric menu this evening.

Cream of potato, leek and bacon soup
Spinach salad with hot bacon vinaigrette
Grilled swordfish steaks wrapped in bacon

And what meal would be complete without dessert. Does anyone have a recipe for bacon cheesecake or bacon ice cream? :wink:

mmmmmm, bacon!!!

Bacon and Krispy Kreme donuts. Great combination of salt and sweet. Don't laugh, I'm serious. OK, laugh, but I like it. Never thought of it as a dessert, though, and it's too many calories now.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:39 pm

Dave R wrote: Does anyone have a recipe for bacon cheesecake or bacon ice cream? :wink:

I have seen a recipe for bacon ice cream. I just need to remember where.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:45 pm

Dave R wrote:And what meal would be complete without dessert. Does anyone have a recipe for bacon cheesecake or bacon ice cream? :wink:

What about this? People I know who've tried it rave about it.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:33 pm

Lucky me. I'm eating at a friend's house tonight: scallops over pasta.

BTW, I recently made a meatloaf out of buffalo, and it was outstanding. There wasn't a bit of fat in the bottom of the pan.
no avatar
User

David P.G.

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

by David P.G. » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:40 pm

Tonight is...

...lobster!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:57 pm

Well, Friday night was last night for us, but we had minute steaks, oven roasted potato wedges, ratatouille and sourdough bread. Followed by homemade vanilla and chocolate icecream. :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:02 pm

We're having a dinner party for 8 tonight. The weather is so gorgeous and the spring flowers in my garden are all in bloom, so it's a good time to usher in the new season with friends. The menu is eclectic, to say the least.
Appetizers will be Asian dumplings and shrimp balls with dipping sauce (my friend is making these, I have no idea what to expect since she's French).
First course: Coquilles and coeurs d'artichauts St. Jacques (The artichoke hearts came along because my husband is allergic to scallops)
Main: Filet mignon en croute (steaks topped with wild mushroom mirepoix and tucked into puff pastry) with a wild mushroom reduction sauce
puree of butternut squash and carrots with sage browned butter
steamed sugar snap peas
followed by a simple salad of bibb lettuce and baby greens in a light lemon vinaigrette

Dessert: homemade mud pie with caramelized pecans

I'm planning to open a few older burgundies with this meal.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Brioche and sticky buns? I fear I've met my daily quota of calories in vs. calories out...

Hmm. Maybe a walk first and THEN some dinner...

b
no avatar
User

Sharon Shade

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:08 pm

Miami Beach

by Sharon Shade » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:24 pm

The Gourment magazine for last month had the most delicious receipe for chicken with Reisling. I made it with a Chardonnay that someone gave me that was too sweet for my taste, and it was to die for! Chicken pieces browned in butter/oil mixture with salt and pepper on the pieces to taste, then take chicken out and add 4 chopped leeks (white and light green only) and one large shallot. Saute until translucent, then add 1 cup white wine, chopped carrots, and cook down; add cream or cream fresh to turn the sauce to a light color, and add chicken then put in oven on 350 for about 20 min. In the meantime parboil small potatoes and when the chicken is done add the potatoes and serve. Fabulous. I would leave out the potatoes and make mashed potatoes with sauteed leeks mixed in instead to pour the rich sauce from the chicken over.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:36 pm

It's 84° degrees and since we've been planting annuals today, dinner will be simple. Ahi Tuna steaks on the grill, drizzled with a soy, ginger, sesame oil, wasabi sauce, sprinkled with green onions. Early this morning I took Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf, cooked and added, shallots, grape tomatoes, green onions, garlic, parsley and chives, and fresh corn, then tossed with balsamic vinaigrette. This will be served at room temp. Oh, and some steamed broccoli.
As for the rest of the weekend...tomorrow is opening day of the Farmer's Market, so what I get there will determine my weekend dinners. I've got a jones for fried chicken and I love what Oven Fry does to chicken. I soak it in buttermilk, and Tabasco first, roll in Oven Fry and bake. Very yummy. I always add a few of my fresh herbs, as well.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:07 pm

I'm just back from a "vacation" cruise. It's been over a week since I've had anything good to eat. But I'm too tired to go shopping, so unfortunately, anything really good will have to wait until tomorrow. Probably some rice and beans just to get some sorely-missed protein.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:25 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I'm just back from a "vacation" cruise. It's been over a week since I've had anything good to eat. But I'm too tired to go shopping, so unfortunately, anything really good will have to wait until tomorrow. Probably some rice and beans just to get some sorely-missed protein.

Yikes, "vacation cruise" and it has been over a week since you had anything good to eat? How awful! If you are willing to share the info, I'd love to hear about the awful cuisine.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:41 pm

I took notes through the voyage and will stick in on a blog site in the next day or two; I'll leave a link here.

Think "school cafeteria." Or "bad hotel restaurant and you're stuck at the hotel." I was with carnivores who found the food equally repulsive, so I can't blame my vegetarianism this time.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:25 pm

Oh yes, we definitely want to hear all about it, Stuart. :D
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:26 pm

Potage Parmentier (leeks from the garden)

Pork carnitas with green chilies and tomatillos served over Basmati rice
with salsa fresca, guacamole and sour cream

Probably fry a few corn tortillas, too.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:37 pm

Hey guys, take some pictures ! Would love to see what you're all making this weekend...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Next