Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What's for dinner?

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:14 pm

celia wrote:Hey guys, take some pictures ! Would love to see what you're all making this weekend...

If I make or eat anything interesting, I'll do it, C, even if I just post a crappy little cellphone photo. :D
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:51 pm

Well earlier today I made reservations for tomorrow. Does that count?

Short answer: nothing. Cindy was out of town the last couple days so tonight we made a Costco run followed by a trip to our favorite wine bar for appetizers and wine. She had the grilled cheese and tomato soup while I had scallops wrapped in bacon with green chile aioli and vegetable relish. We split a bottle of Kings Ridge Oregon PN and caught up on events of the last few days.

We're visiting # 2 child at college this weekend so dinner out on Saturday. Looking forward to it.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:36 pm

Last night was takeout pizza from a place that advertises itself selling the "most heavily researched Chicago-style pizza in America". It was ok, but nothing to write home about. I hear they have a great bartender there, though, so next time we'll have it there.

Tonight is Pollo alla Diavola. The chicken's in the lemon juice now and it will go on the grill in about half an hour. Served with mashed potatoes and a salad.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:42 pm

Last night the Wifey made a spicy sausage and pepper in a marinara sauce over penne pasta dish. So good I had the leftovers for breakfast.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:44 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Dave R wrote:And what meal would be complete without dessert. Does anyone have a recipe for bacon cheesecake or bacon ice cream? :wink:

What about this? People I know who've tried it rave about it.

Mark Lipton

Hate to say it, but I don't think I can resist trying that recipe out....

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:09 pm

Tonight: Bacon-basted salmon with Mushroom-Oyster Sauce.

Tomorrow: Pizza..and lots of it with some serious wine-loving friends coming over for dinner.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:28 pm

No pizza here tonight for the first Saturday in I don't know how long. Met my best friend and her adorable baby for an afternoon of museum hopping, and afterward hit the Blue Corn Cafe for apps.... well, that was the stated intention. But we had margaritas and split an app, then had mains, and another margarita, and desserts and coffee. The baby got his first taste of flan and loved it. (Well, duh! What's not to love?)

Pizza tomorrow just so I don't go into withdrawal.

Friend and Baby at the Museum of International Folk Art
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:33 pm

Tonight's dinner was a response to the dismal weather we're getting this cold, rainy weekend: Memphis-style BBQ ribs with German potato salad and cole slaw and a poorly matched Ravenswood Zin to wash it down with. Tomorrow, however, we'll usher in Spring with a dinner of duck, morels and asparagus!!

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:41 am

Sorry to hear about the dismal weather elsewhere. It's been pretty ridiculously nice and warm in the Bay Area.

Dinner tonight was pizza with artichokes, carrots, and olives. But no morels yet here. At least not that I've seen. Sounds good Mark!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:14 am

No morels yet (June is more typical), but I received a Public Service Announcement that the porcini are plentiful and beautiful.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:42 am

Some kind of roast chicken today. Yesterday I baked an interesting bread that contained some wild rice, a blend of brown rice, polenta and oatmeal--and flour, of course.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:36 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:No morels yet (June is more typical), but I received a Public Service Announcement that the porcini are plentiful and beautiful.

WHERE, DAMMIT???!!!

They never seem to make it out here..... :(

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:07 pm

That's our penalty for not being able to afford to live in Berkeley. I suspect they're coming from Sea Ranch, just in case you're interested in getting together to make a day trip with the kids.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:07 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Sorry to hear about the dismal weather elsewhere. It's been pretty ridiculously nice and warm in the Bay Area.

Dinner tonight was pizza with artichokes, carrots, and olives. But no morels yet here. At least not that I've seen. Sounds good Mark!

It was, it was, but actually paled in comparison to the bottle of '99 Saintsbury Brown Ranch Pinot that we opened up with it (notes to appear on the Wine Forum). I think that even you might have liked that one, Rahsaan. Speaking of things that you'd like, the morel omelettes we made on Sunday morning would probably have been more up your alley.

Mark Lipton
Previous