Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Meal Planning

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Do you do advance meal planning?

Yes, always
11%
No, never
11%
Mostly
21%
Sometimes
37%
For parties or meals with invited guests only
21%

Total votes : 19
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: Meal Planning

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:11 am

Happy anniversary Bob & Janet. Jim and I will be celebrating our 21st next week.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:32 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Congratulations Bob.....Gene and I will celebrate our 45th in June! We've done good!

You guys are making me feel like a youngster ... Mary and I are only coming up on 20 next year. We got a late start, though ...

Talk about a late start, Gail and I are working on our 7th - in about a half-year from now.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:18 pm

I definitely plan meals. But, because I usually keep limited food in the house, it doesn't get too complicated. I go to the farmer's market three times a week, each time buying enough for 2-3 days. So, I mentally plan out how to spread those vegetables across different meals.

Works for me!

But, I can see how things might be different with kids in the equation.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:50 pm

Bob Ross wrote:
From time to time I suggest stuff -- some nice bison burgers with fresh peas tonight, for example, in honor of our 39th wedding anniversary.

She demurred -- I'll settle for Jean Georges tonight. :)

Congrats and I hope you will post some notes about your dinner at Jean Georges.

April 21st marks the second year with the love of my life. The preacher will not marry us until she turns 16 in October (weird laws in these parts) but I already have the Ford 150 picked out for her so she can get her driver's license and marriage license on the same day. I'm going to be the proudest man in the world on that day when I can put that ring on her hand that only has five fingers.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:00 pm

I miss Wisconsin!
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:24 pm

Dave R wrote:
Congrats and I hope you will post some notes about your dinner at Jean Georges.

April 21st marks the second year with the love of my life. The preacher will not marry us until she turns 16 in October (weird laws in these parts) but I already have the Ford 150 picked out for her so she can get her driver's license and marriage license on the same day. I'm going to be the proudest man in the world on that day when I can put that ring on her hand that only has five fingers.

So help me, Dave, I am going to find her email address, and send her a copy of this post..

:wink:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:57 pm

Stuart- You meant Minnesota, right? :wink:
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:04 pm

There's a difference?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Strangely enough, I had a conversation about this very thing this afternoon and the consensus was.... Minnesota, Wisconsin. Same thing. :wink:
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Oh, yah, sure.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:34 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Strangely enough, I had a conversation about this very thing this afternoon and the consensus was.... Minnesota, Wisconsin. Same thing. :wink:

How dare you speak such blasphemy! It is like comparing Lutefisk to Bratwurst! :lol:
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:42 pm

Congratulations Bob and Janet!

I voted "Mostly". At heart I am a planner (ok, I am a total freak...LOL!). However, before I had a family, I lived on my own for about 8 yrs...and I hardly ever planned meals, which is strange because I really am a planner in every other regard. But I just enjoyed fixing meals on the spur of the moment or thinking about what I would make during the day and then making a final decision in the evening. Once I got married, I started to plan meals a little more, since I married a picky hubby and didn't want to make the same meals over and over. Once I had children...meals started to become even more planned, and now with my son's food allergies, they are very planned, especially since he can't eat a lot of "healthier" foods and I have to make sure he gets the proper nutrients. I try in do this without him feeling like he is being excluded, so I need to plan meals that everyone can eat. Rarely do I switch things up...it does make for easier and quicker cooking, but not much fun I admit. I truly can't wait for the day the children are older and we can have some good meals again!! I always plan when we have people over...(I even plan meals for the sitter that sometimes comes on Thurs :oops: ...but it's just so nice to cook for someone who likes to eat :lol: )
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Strangely enough, I had a conversation about this very thing this afternoon and the consensus was.... Minnesota, Wisconsin. Same thing. :wink:

Oh that was so cold!

-And Dave R, Preach it! :wink:
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:54 pm

An interesting comment on meal planning :

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguide ... -stan.html
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Previous