Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Lemon Sponge Pudding

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

RCP: Lemon Sponge Pudding

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:28 pm

I think I will make this to get my lemon fix this weekend. It's a recipe I've been meaning to try, from Tasting Spoons, a blog I regularly read. I like Carolyn's friendly, casual way of talking about the recipes and how they fit into her life.

Lemon Sponge Pudding
Recipe: from our friend, Rita A. from England

Servings: 6

2 ounces butter — or margarine
4 ounces caster sugar
2 whole lemons — juice and grated rind
2 whole eggs — separated
1 cup milk
2 ounces self-rising flour

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Cream butter (or margarine) and sugar with grated lemon zest until mixture is pale and fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat well. Stir in half of the milk, then the flour. Pour in remaining milk and lemon juice.

3. Whisk egg whites until firm and then fold into the egg mixture.

4. Pour into a greased (buttered) 2 pint glass or ceramic baking dish. Place in a large roasting pan half filled with hot water.

5. Bake in center of oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Serve hot or warm with ice cream or heavy cream drizzled over.

Per Serving: 226 Calories; 11g Fat (41.3% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 97mg Cholesterol; 242mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: RCP: Lemon Sponge Pudding

by Celia » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:34 pm

Hmmm.....Cynthia, that sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe ! It might be just the thing to go with the new vanilla icecream...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:42 pm

celia wrote: Thanks for the recipe ! It might be just the thing to go with the new vanilla icecream...

You know, after your photo yesterday, I put the bowl from my ice cream maker in the freezer. You are a baaaaaad influence, girlfriend! :wink:

But it just started snowing (argggh!), so I'm not sure I'll be in the mood to make any this weekend.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:49 pm

Don't blame me ! It was Martin's doing ! :wink:

What is it doing snowing ? Isn't it spring over there now ? It's Autumn here and getting colder..
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:04 pm

%^)

This sounds wonderful, Cynthia ! Still have a few of last year's lemons hanging onto my tree in the backyard ... will try to get Kathleen to do this for dessert Sunday evening (our splurge dinner night) as the kids will be coming to dinner with my nearly one year old grandson ... he likes to sit on Gran'pa's lap and eat dessert especially ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html