Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ideas for pork loin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Ideas for pork loin

by Doug Surplus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:07 pm

I've thawed a pork loin for tonight's dinner and am looking for some ideas on preparing it. I want to if I like it, I can order some along with the Pinot Gris Vitae Springs.

I usually find Pinot and Pork a good match, but is there anything I can do to help it along. What should I avoid?
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Ideas for pork loin

by Anders Källberg » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:03 pm

I love to cook loin of pork at a low temperature for a long time, 3-4 hours, until the meat gets so tender it almost falls apart. The tendons and membranes become like jelly and the meat gets very juicy.
Season it after your taste (I use a mixture of what I find at the moment, normally at least with lots of fresh ginger and some garlic, plus some mixed, coarsely ground spices and salt). Put it in a pot with some liquid (soy sauce, wine, stock...), Bring it to the boil and then place it in the oven at 125-150 C with a lid on . After an hour or two add some roots, mushrooms, onions and such stuff, maybe some more liquid and let it cook until ready. Pressed potatoes are great to it. For a sauce you have the liquid the meat was cooked in, no need to prepare it any further.
Good luck, Anders
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:52 pm

I don't know whether to expect that people have Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." People my age generally do, but I think most folks here are younger. IF you have access to that, she has a great pork loin roast with a "marinade seche" -- dry marinade -- which is largely salt with various spices. You roast until very tender. Pork Loin is important in Tuscan cooking as well. The "Arista" roast is studded with rosemary and garlic slices -- you use a knife to make little holes in the surface and insert garlic bits or rosemary leaves, covering the whole thing. And there is another Tuscan recipe which is a variation on the marinade seche in which you cover the outside with fennel seeds (and pepper?). The best thing about this last recipe is that the licorice flavor of the fennel brings out some beautiful nuances in a good Brunello di Montalcino.

Then there is the whole different subject of pork TENDER-loin but that isn't what you asked...

Frank
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:47 pm

Hi, Doug
Pork is my favorite meat. And my favorite way to cook it is grilled to an internal temperature of about 138-140degrees F. Start with a rub of the following (if you like them) all measures approximate:
1 Tbsp minced rosemary
1/2 Tbsp fennel seed
2-3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp sea salt
1 Tbsp cracked black peppercorns
1/2 Tbsp mustard seeds (optional)

Pulse in a small processor until garlic is minced, but all spices still recognizable. Add enough olive oil to make a thick paste and rub over meat. Grill over hot coals (with a piece of alder or maple wood, if available) in a covered grill, or in the oven until done. (Time depends on size of roast.) Remove from heat source and cover with aluminum foil to rest 15-20 minutes before carving.

In the meantime, prepare a mustard sauce using the following:
1 stick of butter
1/4 C dark rum or burbon
1/2 C beef stock
~2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
~1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
~ 1 Tbsp brown or cajun mustard
~ 2 Tbsp steak sauce
~ 1/2 Tbsp chili sauce w/garlic

Note: change proportions and types of mustard to your desired taste.

Melt butter in heavy bottom sauce pan. Remove from heat and add spirits -- ignite and return to heat to burn off alcohol. Add remaining ingredients and whisk together. Simmer until ingredients pull together and coat the back of a spoon. Spoon over sliced pork medallions.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:41 pm

The fave way that our chef at work prepares it is to do a rub - that is almost like a crust - of rosemary, ginger, garlic, and dry mustard. Then roast. She also cuts slits and inserts garlic cloves.

That just looks delicious, Jo Ann.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote: grilled to an internal temperature of about 138-140degrees F.

Pull it off the grill at 130 degrees. The resting under a foil tent will bring the temp up to about 135-138.

Jo Ann, that rub sounds divine.

rwj
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:42 am

The Italians like to roast pork with milk, but this recipe come from Pork and Sons, by Stephane Reynaud. It's for a Boston butt, but I think loin would work fine as well:

1 Boston butt ~3.25 lbs
8 3/4 cup whole milk
3 cloves garlic
1 fresh thyme sprig
1 fresh rosemary sprig
2 bay leaves

Preheat oven to 350 °F. Place pork in a large casserole, pour over the milk, and add the herbs. Cover and bake for about 2 hours, until the milk has almost completely evaporated. Discard the herbs, Eat cold or hot, served with the milk 'jam' taken from the base of the casserole.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:56 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:The Italians like to roast pork with milk, but this recipe come from Pork and Sons, by Stephane Reynaud. It's for a Boston butt, but I think loin would work fine as well:

1 Boston butt ~3.25 lbs
8 3/4 cup whole milk
3 cloves garlic
1 fresh thyme sprig
1 fresh rosemary sprig
2 bay leaves

Preheat oven to 350 °F. Place pork in a large casserole, pour over the milk, and add the herbs. Cover and bake for about 2 hours, until the milk has almost completely evaporated. Discard the herbs, Eat cold or hot, served with the milk 'jam' taken from the base of the casserole.

Loin will work fine, too. I've used it before with great success in a recipe like this.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:38 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:In the meantime, prepare a mustard sauce using the following:
1 stick of butter
1/4 C dark rum or burbon
1/2 C beef stock
~2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
~1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
~ 1 Tbsp brown or cajun mustard
~ 2 Tbsp steak sauce
~ 1/2 Tbsp chili sauce w/garlic

Note: change proportions and types of mustard to your desired taste.

Melt butter in heavy bottom sauce pan. Remove from heat and add spirits -- ignite and return to heat to burn off alcohol. Add remaining ingredients and whisk together. Simmer until ingredients pull together and coat the back of a spoon. Spoon over sliced pork medallions.

Jo Ann, as a Kentucky resident, and even if Robin doesn't, I have to tell you that burbon is spelled bourbon. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:40 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Jo Ann, as a Kentucky resident, and even if Robin doesn't, I have to tell you that burbon is spelled bourbon. :-)

Thx, Bob. You are, of course, correct. And, I do know that. I always write to get the thought down and then go back to edit. Sometimes I miss a word. This was one of those times. But, I also find that, as I get older, I'm not as certain of my spelling as I used to be. I often stumble over simple words like procedure. I'll often have to stop and think to myself -- is that proceedure, or procedure -- I'll write them both ways. Then, I still can't decide which one looks correct. I'll look the word up to make certain -- and the correct word still doesn't look right. Ever happen to you? Old age ain't for whimps :!:

Keep breathing!!! :cry:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:38 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Thx, Bob. You are, of course, correct. And, I do know that. I always write to get the thought down and then go back to edit. Sometimes I miss a word. This was one of those times. But, I also find that, as I get older, I'm not as certain of my spelling as I used to be. I often stumble over simple words like procedure. I'll often have to stop and think to myself -- is that proceedure, or procedure -- I'll write them both ways. Then, I still can't decide which one looks correct. I'll look the word up to make certain -- and the correct word still doesn't look right. Ever happen to you? Old age ain't for whimps :!:

Jo Ann, I hope you realize that I was just having some fun with you. I have posted so many misspelled words that I know full well how to spell. I think the fingers fly faster than the brain, plus I generally am looking at the keyboard instead of the monitor when I am typing.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:39 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Thx, Bob. You are, of course, correct. And, I do know that. I always write to get the thought down and then go back to edit. Sometimes I miss a word. This was one of those times. But, I also find that, as I get older, I'm not as certain of my spelling as I used to be. I often stumble over simple words like procedure. I'll often have to stop and think to myself -- is that proceedure, or procedure -- I'll write them both ways. Then, I still can't decide which one looks correct. I'll look the word up to make certain -- and the correct word still doesn't look right. Ever happen to you? Old age ain't for whimps :!:

Jo Ann, I hope you realize that I was just having some fun with you. I have posted so many misspelled words that I know full well how to spell. I think the fingers fly faster than the brain, plus I generally am looking at the keyboard instead of the monitor when I am typing.

No offense taken, Bob. Everything I said is really true, and it baffles me. There is definitely an age/hormone/spelling correlation. I'm certain of it. :evil:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:43 pm

Happens to me all the time you guys.....that is why I love ieSpell! :wink:
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:37 pm

Thanks for some great ideas everyone. As I didn't have much time, and even less of some suggested ingredients, I went for simple dry rub of Penzey's Greek seasoning, with extra garlic.
I put the loin (oh, it was a tenderloin, I just neglected to specify in the original post) in a pan and seared, then cut up a parsnip, a rutabaga, a turnip and sweet potato and put the pieces in the pan. I sprinkled rosemary over the whole thing and baked at 350 until done.

Turned out great and went well with the Pinot.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:39 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:No offense taken, Bob. Everything I said is really true, and it baffles me. There is definitely an age/hormone/spelling correlation. I'm certain of it. :evil:

I was my school's spelling champion in 6th grade and 7th grade. It's been downhill ever since.

And that's going down a LOT of hill!! :wink:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:56 am

With tenderloin I really like to do it over charcoal and cook leaving it slightly pink and moist inside. There are various rubs and marinades that work well. Probably my favorite is to completely cover the meat with thin slices of prosciutto and do a "salami tie" with string. Underneath the prosciutto something like what you did with garlic and rosemary. The prosciutto gets dark and crispy and contributes a lot of flavor to the meat.

F
no avatar
User

Sharon Shade

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:08 pm

Miami Beach

by Sharon Shade » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:49 pm

I made this dish but the coating was awful on the lamb IMHO. However, I thought it would be really good on pork.
http://recipes.mt.bravotv.com/top_chef/ ... _sauce.php