Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Pork chops with pineapple chutney

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Pork chops with pineapple chutney

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:52 am

Pork chops with pineapple chutney

I've always been a little wary about dishes that combine fruit with meat. I like my main course to be savory, my dessert sweet, and no need to mix them up.

Still, millions of happy diners can't all be wrong, and the use of fruit as a flavor accent and contrast with meat, poultry or fish is a custom enshrined in culinary tradition, from sole Veronique (with grapes) to Moroccan beef and prune tagine.

The key, as it is with so many things, is balance. If the flavors of fruit drown out the meat, or if cloying sweetness dominates the dish, then I'll pass, thank you. But keep the flavors in perspective and stay on the savory side, perhaps adding a tart acidic flavor element to balance the sweetness, and the formula works.

Faced with a brace of smoked pork chops and a fresh pineapple the other day, I came up with the idea of using pineapple in a simple, savory, chutney-style sauce with no additional sweetening. Smoked pork has a ham-like flavor, and ham and pineapple are natural companions. Add a squirt of lemon juice to further control any sweetness, and you've got a nicely balanced dish in which the fruit doesn't fight the meat. It would work well, too, with a slice of ham; you could substitute an unsmoked pork chop or even a veal chop, although I think I might tweak some of the spices and other flavors if I went that route.

Here's the recipe. It's quick and simple. If you try it, or come up with a variation, I hope you'll let me know how it goes.

INGREDIENTS:
(Serves two)

1/2 of a medium sweet onion, enough to make 1/2 cup (120g) chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 slice pineapple (preferably fresh)
Juice of one Meyer lemon, about 1/4 cup
2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
2 thick or 4 thin smoked pork chops
Salt
Pepper
Dried red-pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon (3g) Madras curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

PROCEDURE:

1. Peel and chop the onion; peel the garlic and mince it fine. Cut the pineapple in small dice. Squeeze the lemon. (If you can't find Meyer lemons, try a blend of 3 parts lemon juice and 1 part orange juice.)

2. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and cook them quickly; it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to cook a thin chop, a little longer for a thin one. Remove them from the skillet and keep them warm.

3. In the same skillet, saute the onions and garlic, adding a little more olive oil (or even just a splash of water) if needed. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a small shake of dried red-pepper flakes.

4. When the onions and garlic are well browned, stir in the diced pineapple, lemon juice, curry powder and cumin. Cook just to warm through, then put the pork chops back in the skillet. Turn them once or twice, and serve.

WINE MATCH: A rich, perhaps off-dry white would be perfect: Think Riesling or Chenin Blanc, or maybe a Chardonnay with a "tropical fruit" flavor profile.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Pork chops with pineapple chutney

by Jenise » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:32 pm

Isn't it your bride Mary who really dislikes fruit and meat in combination? I know you've mentioned our sympatico-ness whenever I complain about how BORING it is that pork in restaurants is always buried in some kind of cherry sauce. I just never NEVER order pork in restaurants because of that--even waiters who assure me that the sauces aren't THAT sweet have always turned out to be wrong.

Maybe pineapple, with its inherent acidity, is something of an exception though. Maybe the best seared foie gras I've ever had is Wolfgang Puck's version at his L.A. eatery Chinois on Main, where the foie is paired with a slice of grilled fresh pineapple and topped with a hoisin sauce.

Anyway, nice recipe. Did Mary eat it? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:43 am

Jenise wrote:Isn't it your bride Mary who really dislikes fruit and meat in combination?

Good memory! :D I'm not overwhelmed by fruit and meat, but Mary really gets crabby about it. I was able to sell this one on the basis of the chutney analogy. That, and swearing that there was NO sweetness added. (Well, no sugar, anyway ... the caramelized onions do add a level of sweetness, but it's natural.

I know you've mentioned our sympatico-ness whenever I complain about how BORING it is that pork in restaurants is always buried in some kind of cherry sauce. I just never NEVER order pork in restaurants because of that--even waiters who assure me that the sauces aren't THAT sweet have always turned out to be wrong.

Right! I assume that the popularity of really sweet sauces and other preparations for savory dishes is a direct response to the general American sweet tooth, but I fall a little short in that department. Still, at the risk of repetition, it's all about balance, and there's a reason that just about every cuisine in the world has some variation on sweet-sour.

Maybe pineapple, with its inherent acidity, is something of an exception though.

I'm not sure. This was a deliciously ripe pineapple, so juicy that it sat around perfuming the house for a day or two before I carved it. It struck me as being much more sweet than acidic, prompting me to add a good shot of Meyer lemon juice (juice of one entire lemon) to tart it up.

Maybe the best seared foie gras I've ever had is Wolfgang Puck's version at his L.A. eatery Chinois on Main, where the foie is paired with a slice of grilled fresh pineapple and topped with a hoisin sauce.

Of course, hoisin sauce is distinctly sweet, too, or at least it seems that way to my taste buds.

Anyway, nice recipe. Did Mary eat it? :)

Yes, she was a good sport. I'm not sure it was her favorite, but she didn't shove the pineapple under the salad to hide it ...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:56 pm

Of course, hoisin sauce is distinctly sweet, too, or at least it seems that way to my taste buds.

But also very salty. And Wolfgang's version had a beefiness to it that suggested it wasn't pure hoisin. Delicious! But you make a good point mentioning sweet AND sour in the same sentence. Gotta have the sour, and for me usually a fair bit of salt, to make a balanced dish. I love pork ribs oven-roasted in a glaze I make from lemon juice, apricot jam, butter and cayenne. It covers every base in the hot/sour/salty/sweet universe, and it's just delightful. Take away any ingredient, though, and it's like removing a leg from a table. It doesn't hold up.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov