Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tyler's Ultimate

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Tyler's Ultimate

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:25 pm

I enjoy watching Tyler now and then and was wondering if anyone has made his dishes and how they like them? He made a Chicken Parmigiana the other day that looked beautiful and got raves from viewers. I enjoy reading the reviews on the recipes and am constantly amazed at the out come from one person to the other.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Tyler's Ultimate

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:45 pm

Um... Tyler who? :oops:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:54 pm

Tyler Florence does a show called Tyler's Ultimate. Just checking on his recipes from folks who know him and have tried them - just for fun!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:04 pm

Ah. I am televisionless. But I have a cooking pal who uses a lot of his recipes and reports great success. And she is an extremely picky cook!
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:38 am

Karen,

A few years ago I posted some comments about Real Kitchen on the now petrified version of FLDG.

Here is a link: http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/index.phtml?fn=2&tid=41512&mid=346554

With one exception, I have been satisfied with the recipes I have tried from that book. I do not recall trying anything from Ultimate though.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:31 am

Good information link Dave, thanks! I like Bobby Flay, as well, although I get tired watching him. But I have one of his books called "Fusion" and I must say the recipes I have tried are outstanding. Of course, I love fusion cooking. I'll give some of Tyler's a try.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:08 pm

We still use his "Ultimate" recipe for Chicken & Dumplings. Plus our current version of spaghetti & meatballs was originally sourced from his "Ultimate" recipe (we've changed it a bit since). Especially the use of chopped tomatoes in the sauce rather than pureed.

Every recipe we've tried from that show has worked really well.

Richard
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Speaking of Tyler Florence, I really miss How To Boil Water. Not because I learned anything from the show, but because Jack Hourigan was really something else and my all-time favorite Food Network personality.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:17 pm

I almost never watch the Food Network anymore. But Tyler's personality I liked, and though his first show, the Food Rescue 911 or whatever it was called was rather daft, I liked the 'Ultimate' approach--a little travel, a little theory, a little cooking. Unlike most cooking shows, there was actually some thinking involved.

Oh, and Dave--we refer to this forum's predeccessor, cough cough, as FLDG Classic. :D
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:56 pm

I have made several of Tyler's recipes and I find that they always come out very well. I do think he's a pretty good chef and I enjoy watching Tyler's Ultimate...it's the only other show besides Alton's and Iron Chef America that I still watch on Food Network.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:21 pm

Maria, do you enjoy watching Everyday Italian? I have tried many of Giada's recipes and find them to be very tasty. I usually read all the reviews first and make a decision from the ratings given. I have also found that some people do not pay attention to the quality of the ingredients they use and then complain that it did not turn out well.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:48 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Maria, do you enjoy watching Everyday Italian? I have tried many of Giada's recipes and find them to be very tasty. I usually read all the reviews first and make a decision from the ratings given. I have also found that some people do not pay attention to the quality of the ingredients they use and then complain that it did not turn out well.

I'm not Maria, but I enjoy watching Giada too. In fact, dinner tomorrow night is her Spicy Baked Macaroni. I've made it twice before, with rave reviews from the guys at the winery and my crew.

I miss Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen cookbook. (It was the only cookbook my ex-husband used, so I left it with him). Everything in that cookbook turned out well.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:08 pm

Hey Karen,

I have watched Giada...I think she is good, but I don't often follow her I guess because I grew up in an Italian-American household, so I normally don't watch other Italian chefs (unless it's Mario...since he makes Italian-Italin food...very authentic and different than what I am used to making). I very familiar with the Italian-American dishes...and of course, every Italian-American has their own special version of each recipe that they think is the best :wink: .
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin