Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Not to upset you John T. but ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Not to upset you John T. but ...

by Bill Spencer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:11 pm

%^)

... USDA choice T-bones are on sale at Fry's this week for $3.97 a pound (sez regularly $9.99 a pound) ... forced to fire up the Weber Sunday night ... can't last forever ... bottle shock should be worn off by now so think I'll open up one of the '06 Cujo zins to go with'em ... pinto beans, fresh salsa, and tortillas ? Hmmmm ... have to think about that ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Not to upset you John T. but ...

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:33 pm

Our Raley's just took in Black Angus beef. They had thick New York steaks for $3.99 last week.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:43 am

Hey, Bill, I'm happy for you. I do have to wonder though, how they can possibly sell them at that price.
Even if they're buying the whole short loin and cutting the steaks in house, the price should be higher than that.
Anybody have a load of cattle that's gone missing?

Mangia, my friend, mangia. And let the good times roll.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:19 am

Here's a clue as to why the meat can be so inexpensive.

Of course, I'm sure the Courtneys can provide much more illumination since it's their bailiwick.

The US of A, of course would *never* treat animals like this. Yeah, right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43cTvd9o ... re=related
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:47 am

I do not find USDA choice to be anything special. As for supermarket-quality beef, I probably wouldn't take it even if they gave it away for free. There is something about factory farm beef, bolstered with growth hormones and antibiotics, that I find troubling. I would rather spend $18/lb for naturally raised, non-chemically manipulated, grass fed beef that don't get graded because the ranchers don't need to submit their steer to the feds in order to sell it to their customers.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:11 am

Bernard Roth wrote:I do not find USDA choice to be anything special. As for supermarket-quality beef, I probably wouldn't take it even if they gave it away for free. There is something about factory farm beef, bolstered with growth hormones and antibiotics, that I find troubling. I would rather spend $18/lb for naturally raised, non-chemically manipulated, grass fed beef that don't get graded because the ranchers don't need to submit their steer to the feds in order to sell it to their customers.

I've recently been introduced to a different line of beef - the brand name is "Vintage" - no hormones, but it's corn fed for 300 days. They use antibiotics if necessary, but allow ample time for them to clear out before slaughter. It gets graded, and is available in choice and prime. The animals are also "harvested" younger - yielding smaller muscles and hence, thicker steaks. It sells at about a 20% premium to the big boy brands; e.g. IBP, National.
I believe Lazy Acres carries it. I was given some samples, and personally did not find enough there to persuade me that it's worth the premium. A few trusted customers concurred. However, in a fair cutting, I would taste the meat side by side against the alternatives, and I'd do it blind.

I'm not in love with grass fed beef. Perhaps it's an acquired taste. I am currently reading "Omnivore's Dilemma" and my mind may change.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:12 pm

I think the "best" beef (by that I mean both in terms of flavor and morality) is grass fed and finished with grain. No hormones. No antibiotics.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:28 am

For generations of folks that have known nothing other than industrial beef, pork and poultry, it is not surprising that the texture of sustainably raised products is hard to take. I grew up on a farm where we raised nearly everything we needed and developed a very profound respect for land and animal.
I agree totally that I would rather spend the extra $ for all the reasons already stated.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:05 pm

John,

Our stores sell "Black Angus" beef but usually charge a premium for meat with that designation. Is Black Angus really superior or is that just a marketing ploy?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:59 am

Dave R wrote:John,

Our stores sell "Black Angus" beef but usually charge a premium for meat with that designation. Is Black Angus really superior or is that just a marketing ploy?

It's a minefield, Dave.
There is a brand, "Certified Angus Beef" - sounds official, doesn't it? Well in this case, it's brilliant marketing, because "certified" is simply part of the brand name, as "heinz" is to ketchup. That said, the beef has pretty tight specs and the claim is that it is always the top 5% of choice or higher.
Other packers out there (Swift, and National) also have Angus programs, and also claim to have similar specs.

I have done comparisons among CAB, other brands of Angus, as well as choice, select and prime, many times over. Prime consistently outperforms all comers.
I've had less steady results among the Anguses, with plain choice sometimes coming out on top. Stay away from select, it never wins.

When I want a good steak, I look for Prime graded beef. That's more important to me than the breed.