Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Who's following Top Chef?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Who's following Top Chef?

by Jenise » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:34 pm

I just caught up on the last two episodes, and I was rather surprised by the last one where Ryan got the boot. Yeah he had a bad idea, but at least he had a big idea. I'd have sent Nikki, who never has big ideas, home. Her cooking is very unsophisticated and she's way out of place in this group. I don't know how she ever got onto the show in the first place.

Anyone agree, and anyone want to place bets on who will win?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Who's following Top Chef?

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:35 pm

Laura and I watch it, but generally in re-runs, as we almost never make it to 10 PM with the TV on. I'm having a hard time warming up to any of the candidates this time around.

I'm also sick of the "catering" type challenges. It's called Top Chef, not Top Catering Service.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:55 pm

I watch it, generally with one eye while chatting on here, then watch it with full attention the next evening. I agree that Nikki should have gone last time, and I also agree that they need to really cook, not cater.

I'm no chef, but I do know that what makes a good tailgate spread is not what a "top chef" is used to cooking, many backyard BBQ'ers could have blown half these guys and gals out of the water on that last one.

I'm not yet ready to bet on the outcome, and I'd lose anyway, such is my track record on guessing winners of Top Chef, Survivor, and most any other wagerable contest. :oops:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:39 pm

You know I am watching it, Jenise. My dirty little secret. Those catering challenges are total sponsorship opps, right? Da Bears...The Zoo for the one challenge? Or am I wrong? The most interesting things so far have been the quick fire challenges. SO agree about Nikki, and, I have to say, about the Aussie--sloppy...not sure of what he was doing. I'm liking that one woman who has won so many challenges or finished top two...(can't remember what her name is...)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:19 am

Barb Freda wrote:SO agree about Nikki, and, I have to say, about the Aussie--sloppy...not sure of what he was doing. I'm liking that one woman who has won so many challenges or finished top two...(can't remember what her name is...)

I didn't like what the Aussie, whose name I can't remember either, did in this challenge, but I haven't been as unimpressed all the way along with him as I've been with Nikki or even K-Fed, for that matter. That's not his name but you know who I mean. He has no innate class. Stephanie is probably who you mean. I too think she'll be one of the finalists, along with Richard.

David, interesting point about the catering. I hadn't thought to object to that, but tend to agree now that you mention it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:36 am

I just watched the tailgate party episode last night. Will someone please sabotage Nikki!!! Argh!

Although Ryan deserved what he got. I've seen people like him on several of these shows & they have to be let go no matter what their skills are. It doesn't matter what you do or don't like, do what is asked for by the challenge. At least Nikki tried, even if her stuff wasn't good.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Although Ryan deserved what he got. I've seen people like him on several of these shows & they have to be let go no matter what their skills are. It doesn't matter what you do or don't like, do what is asked for by the challenge. At least Nikki tried, even if her stuff wasn't good.

Oh, I so disagree. I mean, yeah poached pears was supremely inappropriate food for a tailgater, and apparently the result wasn't even very good. And his panzanella didn't turn out well, but his chicken looked excellent. And at least he knew how to make those foods--Nikki hasn't shown any clue of even knowing what those kinds of foods are. She's a short order cook who understands basic family style Italian cooking, not a chef. Hence her use of store bought sausage and unprepped buns right out of the bag. Plus the shrimp skewers on the side? The only thing missing was the paper cups of fruit cocktail. :) Her sausage rolls might have been more typical tailgate food, but I have to argue with you on the point that at least she tried. I'd give that nod to Ryan.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:10 pm

I can see your point Jenise, but if one thing has been true every season on Top Chef (and Project Runway - also a Bravo show) it's that doing something that ignores the theme will get you kicked off even if other people's stuff sucks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:23 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I can see your point Jenise, but if one thing has been true every season on Top Chef (and Project Runway - also a Bravo show) it's that doing something that ignores the theme will get you kicked off even if other people's stuff sucks.

Oh, you're not wrong about that. But it was only Ryan's dessert, which was after all a bonus food, that really missed that mark. His grilled chicken and panzanella was no less appropriate than Stepanie's pork tenderloin and potato salad which was one of the winners. I tend to think that if his food had been outstanding, all would have been forgiven. Don't you think there's some salesmanship involved? It often seems that the judges make some choice about how to receive the food, often depending on how the chefs sell their message. Maybe Ryan's biggest mistake was being so vocal about not being a tailgater himself...?
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:19 pm

I think you have a point about him maybe sinking himself...Nikki and the store-bought sausage, though? All she did was heat and serve AND she ran out of food. They got that one wrong.

b
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:49 pm

Always bear in mind the disclaimer at the end of the credits: the judges take into account the input of the producers.

The other chefs don't like Nikki & that adds spice to the competition. So she stays longer than she has any right to.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:06 pm

At this stage its less about being the best as it is about being just good enough to slip through. That is what Nikki and Spike are doing. Just kind of slipping through by being mediocre.

I’m rooting for Stephanie. Classiest one of the bunch.

Richard
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:27 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I can see your point Jenise, but if one thing has been true every season on Top Chef (and Project Runway - also a Bravo show) it's that doing something that ignores the theme will get you kicked off even if other people's stuff sucks.

If you look at the credits of these Bravo shows, you will see that it is not only the judges who contribute to the outcome. It is also the producers. They are making a television show after all, so they will always keep a controversial person, even if they deserve to be kicked off.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:53 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:

If you look at the credits of these Bravo shows, you will see that it is not only the judges who contribute to the outcome. It is also the producers. They are making a television show after all, so they will always keep a controversial person, even if they deserve to be kicked off.

Cheers,
Sue

Exactly (see my post two above).
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Always bear in mind the disclaimer at the end of the credits: the judges take into account the input of the producers.

Sorry David, How did I miss that?
When we read the disclaimer on the credits we thought, why do they have judges anyway?
It's more obvious on Project Runaway, as fashion is visual.
On Top Chef, we can't taste the food and it's obvious some of the judges comments have been truncated. (We're currently watching a season before the one in discussion).
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue May 27, 2008 6:34 pm

Okay, I thought it was time to resurrect this thread since we are down to the final five. Should Dale or Lisa have gone last week? Who do you favor to win? Has watching the show influenced your cooking at all?

Personally, I think it was a toss up as to who should have gone home last week. They both failed miserably that evening. As far as who should go all the way, I like Stephanie and Antonia. They are both really good, seemingly very smart.
And yes, the show has made me think a little more "outside the box" when preparing even ordinary weeknight meals. I say to myself, "What would I put in here if I was in a quick-fire challenge??" I know, I'm a dork.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 27, 2008 6:50 pm

I think Lisa should have left. I didn't think her talent is all that evident. Besides, she seems to be perpetually pissed for some reason. Dale is very talented and very innovative, but he seems to be stuck in Asian (Thai influenced) cuisine. So, just because of his limitations I thought his time there was limited. Of the women, I thought Jennifer was more talented than either of the two left. But, Stephanie is showing some (surprising) promise. I definitely think this is the season for a femal Chef winner. But, overall, I don't think the show has shown the type of talent this season as I have seen in the past -- although, they say this season drew more fully qualified contenstants. Huh, surprising!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 27, 2008 7:22 pm

Oh goodie goodie, I was dying to discuss this as I just watched last week's episode last night.

It was wrong wrong wrong to send Dale home. I realize that the Exec Chef's head is on the block in a real restaurant, but why let the others off easy? Lisa's dishes were in my opinion even more egregiously incompetent (badly seasoned AND miscooked?), and she has not shown the innate creative talent that Dale has in spades, even if he is rather wedded to Asian foods. For me, Richard and Stephanie are clearly the best but I'd have considered Dale right behind them, along with Antonia. That that ass Spike and Lisa are two of the finalists at this point is all wrong. Both are laggards in the talent department, and worse they personally have no class--especially that manipulative Spike. It was a dirty rotten shame that Dale, who does have class even if he has a temper problem, was the one who got stuck with those two, and even worse that he's the one who took the fall for the team's failure.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 27, 2008 10:05 pm

Jenise wrote:That that ass Spike and Lisa are two of the finalists at this point is all wrong. Both are laggards in the talent department, and worse they personally have no class--especially that manipulative Spike. It was a dirty rotten shame that Dale, who does have class even if he has a temper problem, was the one who got stuck with those two, and even worse that he's the one who took the fall for the team's failure.

I am totally with you on this one, Jenise. I think Dale was set up by the other two. Unfortunately, it is easy to do with someone as emotional as Dale, who also has anger management issues. So, he stepped right in it and danced to their two step. It's as much his fault as theirs. Competition is a head game -- nothing more!! But, is Spike really a Chef anywhere? Hard to believe!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue May 27, 2008 11:34 pm

I could have flipped a coin for either Dale or Lisa to go last week, and I hope Spike goes down in flames this week.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε