Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone ever heard of hair sheep

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Anyone ever heard of hair sheep

by Bob Henrick » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:53 pm

I just completed an order for a feeder lamb to be processed, vacuum packed and frozen. The lamb will be local grown weighing between 80 and 100 pounds before processing. Hair sheep have hair instead of wool, which leads to a lower lanolin content which in turn makes the meat a milder flavor. Hair sheep are (I am told) becoming more and more popular, however I have only recently become aware of them. I will roast a leg on Hot Mama and report back, but wondered if anyone else had done this.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Anyone ever heard of hair sheep

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:44 pm

It's funny, but I have posted this question on two different forums, and the best I got was some funny remarks. Here, I got nothing, either no one here eats lamb, or I am being blackballed.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Bob,

I haven't heard of this at all. I will have to look into it more. I read the website you posted. Sounds interesting...I like a milder lamb and usually remove much of the fat for that reason.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:48 pm

I've had lamb 2 or 3 times in my life, that I know of, and was underwhelmed each time, although once it was almost something I'd order again, but not quite.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:02 pm

Blackballed? Bob darling, could I do that to my one and only true love??????

:wink:

Actually, didn't see your post until you bumped it or I'd have answered to the effect that no, I haven't heard of hair sheep. Hair bands, yes!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:13 pm

Jenise wrote:Blackballed? Bob darling, could I do that to my one and only true love??????

Actually, didn't see your post until you bumped it or I'd have answered to the effect that no, I haven't heard of hair sheep. Hair bands, yes!

Well I got some answers at least. And no I guess not, but you might could slap me upside the head as an attention getter. The person I dealt with in placing the order admitted that "hair sheep" is not conducive to sales, so they have begun calling it "new American lamb". In any case I will take delivery late this week, and will post back here on my findings.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:11 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Jenise wrote:Blackballed? Bob darling, could I do that to my one and only true love??????

Well I got some answers at least. And no I guess not, but you might could slap me upside the head as an attention getter. The person I dealt with in placing the order admitted that "hair sheep" is not conducive to sales, so they have begun calling it "new American lamb". In any case I will take delivery late this week, and will post back here on my findings.

Bob is Jenise's Bob ? I hadn't made the connection before...

;)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:39 pm

celia wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:

Bob is Jenise's Bob ? I hadn't made the connection before...

;)

"C" you know you are my PLCB, none could ever take your place.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:21 pm

Bob,

I am looking forward to reading your review because I love good lamb. Can't say I have ever heard of hair sheep, though. Is that a breed specific to the South? We may not see it up here because a lamb might not survive these winters without a heavy wool coat.

I'll tell you what...if you invite me to the roast, I will bring the Bordeaux and pay your greens fees. :wink:
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:22 am

The most recent issue of "The Art of Eating" has a feature article on hair sheep.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:35 am

Greg Hollis wrote:The most recent issue of "The Art of Eating" has a feature article on hair sheep.

Greg,
Is this article or excerpts from it available online? I googled and found the book, but it is not interactive. Maybe I need to subscribe or something.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:08 am

I am not aware of an online access to the articles in this journal.

This is a well written periodical, IMO, that goes into enough depth on a subject to make it worth reading. I should be more clear about the hair sheep. The feature article is on island sheep and hair sheep are mentioned as a part of that discussion.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:08 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I just completed an order for a feeder lamb to be processed, vacuum packed and frozen. The lamb will be local grown weighing between 80 and 100 pounds before processing. Hair sheep have hair instead of wool, which leads to a lower lanolin content which in turn makes the meat a milder flavor. Hair sheep are (I am told) becoming more and more popular, however I have only recently become aware of them. I will roast a leg on Hot Mama and report back, but wondered if anyone else had done this.

Bob, there is plenty of information on "hair sheep" if you use google and the phrase in quotes.
"The primary difference between hair sheep and wooled sheep is the ratio of hair to wool fibers. "
They originally lived in hot, tropical climates and as they shed their wool naturally, they do not have to be shorn.
There seems to be quite a number of breeds too. I've heard of Dorper.
Katahdin is a breed that was developed in the US.
Look at this website - http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/hair.htm

People are interested them in NZ too.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:Bob, there is plenty of information on "hair sheep" if you use google and the phrase in quotes.
"The primary difference between hair sheep and wooled sheep is the ratio of hair to wool fibers. "
They originally lived in hot, tropical climates and as they shed their wool naturally, they do not have to be shorn.
There seems to be quite a number of breeds too. I've heard of Dorper.
Katahdin is a breed that was developed in the US.
Look at this website - http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/hair.htm

People are interested them in NZ too.

Cheers,
Sue

Sue, I first got interested in them due to an article in the Sunday paper (local) a few weeks ago. The article made it sound as if the meat was better than the standard wool sheep, so I did my googling and read a lot of web pages. Yes, I too found out that they are originally from Africa and as you say the ambient temperature had an effect of the sheep shedding and the evolution of changing from wool to hair. I am not sure that not shearing is a plus from a monetary angle or not and would take your word that it is, or it isn't. I can imagine that the shearing of sheep is a bit like cutting tobacco, very labor intensive, and pays little. I have no clue what the raw wool sells for though. I should get a call this week or early next week that the meat is ready for pickup and Soon after that I will do some chops or a shoulder roast and report back. Have you tasted it? I decided to edit to add that at least here in Kentucky producers and those ITB are starting to call the meat from hair sheep "New American lamb". It seems that "hair sheep" is not a good marketing name. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:13 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:I've had lamb 2 or 3 times in my life, that I know of, and was underwhelmed each time, although once it was almost something I'd order again, but not quite.

Robert. come up to Lexington, (I'll let you know when) and I will cook a shoulder or a leg on Hot Mama, and try to change your mind. I bet you've not eaten many rattlesnakes either. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:46 pm

Dave R wrote:Bob,

I am looking forward to reading your review because I love good lamb. Can't say I have ever heard of hair sheep, though. Is that a breed specific to the South? We may not see it up here because a lamb might not survive these winters without a heavy wool coat.

I'll tell you what...if you invite me to the roast, I will bring the Bordeaux and pay your greens fees. :wink:

Dave, I will let you know when I am doing a leg and you come on down. Being that I work on the golf course I don't pay green fees, and could likely get you on too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:I've had lamb 2 or 3 times in my life, that I know of, and was underwhelmed each time, although once it was almost something I'd order again, but not quite.

Robert. come up to Lexington, (I'll let you know when) and I will cook a shoulder or a leg on Hot Mama, and try to change your mind. I bet you've not eaten many rattlesnakes either. :-)

Never et a rattlesnake, but have tried roasted possum and sweet taters once. Tasted good, but was super greasy. Of course, had I been told what it was BEFORE I ate it (Gee thanks Dad!), I wouldn't have tried it most likely. :?
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε