Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you make Sunday breakfast?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Do you make Sunday breakfast?

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:05 pm

Since we eat very simple breakfasts during the week, (usually seasonal fruits and whole grain muffins, cereal or breads) every now and then I do a nice Sunday breakfast, which Gene really enjoys. This morning I made an omelet out of fresh farm eggs. I threw in some garden spinach, green onions, chives. When barely done, I threw on some Parmesan and finished under the broiler. It puffed up to perfection. I served with Chipotle Lime Salsa, a small dish of cinnamon sprinkled fresh strawberries and pineapple. Jenise's pineapple muffin for Gene and thick bacon cooked in the oven and finished with a basting of real maple syrup. Very nice and will keep us going until dinner.

Last week I toasted some rustic bread slices, rubbed with fresh garlic and a tomato half. Topped with creamy scrambled eggs, (sour cream added) two crispy roasted asparagus spears and topped with a basil pesto. Served with a side of Rio Star grapefruit slices dusted with cinnamon. Very pretty and yummy. I saw the egg dish on the Well Fed website.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Do you make Sunday breakfast?

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:09 pm

Occasionally. But, Sunday breakfast is usually our date of the week! I cook Sunday dinner for the mob. :|
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:14 pm

We basically don't do breakfast. I don't eat it at all and my wife just has cereal. Once in a while, we'll make a batch of waffles but that's about it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:25 pm

I make waffles every Sunday morning! :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:33 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Since we eat very simple breakfasts during the week, (usually seasonal fruits and whole grain muffins, cereal or breads) every now and then I do a nice Sunday breakfast, which Gene really enjoys. This morning I made an omelet out of fresh farm eggs. I threw in some garden spinach, green onions, chives. When barely done, I threw on some Parmesan and finished under the broiler. It puffed up to perfection. I served with Chipotle Lime Salsa, a small dish of cinnamon sprinkled fresh strawberries and pineapple. Jenise's pineapple muffin for Gene and thick bacon cooked in the oven and finished with a basting of real maple syrup. Very nice and will keep us going until dinner.

My husband wants to come live with you! He adores breakfast, where like David I do not. And in spite of the fact that my dislike of eggs seems a likely culprit, the problem is more that unlike Bob who wakes up hungry, I don't even have an appetite until late in the morning. We've had to broker weekly compromises throughout our marriage. Of course, being the cook, I usually win. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:44 pm

Yup. Sunday is the only day of the week we sit down together and eat breakfast.
Usually it's eggs over easy with bacon and toast, though we change it up sometimes - like today, with chile verde and tortillas. I try to stay away from pancakes and waffles, so we only make those once in a great while.

The rest of the week it's a bowl of cereal and the newspaper, but Sundays are still special here.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:46 pm

These days I pick up my M-I-L and drive her to church, after which, we usually stop someplace. Today it was just coffee and a donut, but sometimes, like 2 weeks ago (I was layed up last weekend), we stopped at a nice local diner and I had blueberry crepes and sausage. I had to bring one of the crepes home in a doggie bag - excellent!
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:04 pm

We go to the gym three mornings a week at 5:45 am and then come home and walk the dog....so we are hungry at breakfast, however I still do not like a heavy breakfast. Seems to upset my tummy, so we tend to eat light. Somehow on Sunday, when we don't go to the gym and I usually do not walk that day, a good breakfast is fun to make Then we don't do lunch!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:56 pm

If I have someone staying with me, we often do something special for Sunday breakfast, although it might be 10 or 11 by the time we get around to it.

When I'm on my own I usually don't eat breakfast. I just can't until I've been awake for a few hours. That used to drive my mother crazy when I was a kid.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:17 pm

I cook breakfast EVERY day that I'm home. I even take breakfast sandwiches or breakfast burritos to my crew on the first day of our trip. Usually there's nothing special on Sunday. I make my usual poached eggs on an English Muffin. If I happen to have good leftover bread, I'll make us French Toast.

I can't imagine not eating breakfast.....
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:24 pm

That sounds AWESOME Karen...I'll be right over next week! :D

No, I don't cook Sunday breakfast anymore...since my son's food allergies, I hardly cook anything with eggs or flour anymore...too stressful. It's sad, because I loved cooking big breakfasts on the weekend...lots of fluffy pancakes, bacon, sausages, quiches...maybe someday!

Occasionally, I do breakfast for dinner for my hubby when he gets home late from work. It's an English breakfast...fried eggs over easy, toast, bacon (usually Irish), sausages, baked beans, and fried tomatoes.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:28 pm

Thanks to whomever fixed my goof....I still can't get the hang of "quote". :oops:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:04 pm

TraciM wrote:I cook breakfast EVERY day that I'm home. I even take breakfast sandwiches or breakfast burritos to my crew on the first day of our trip. Usually there's nothing special on Sunday. I make my usual poached eggs on an English Muffin. If I happen to have good leftover bread, I'll make us French Toast.

I can't imagine not eating breakfast.....

Hmmm. It's possible I might eat more breakfast if I had a co-worker like you!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:12 pm

We exercise then make brunch every Sunday.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:04 pm

On the rare occasions when we are home on Sunday morning (we spend many weekends on our boat), we usually make breakfast together. Kirk cooks the bacon or sausages, I'll cut up fruit and make the toast and he fixes the eggs. Not early though, like Jenise, I don't want to see food until about 10am. When we're on the boat we go to brunch every Sunday morning, either at our local coffee shop/diner that has great food, called "Eat at Rudy's" or at our yacht club, which serves a decent and cheap brunch.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Thanks to whomever fixed my goof....I still can't get the hang of "quote". :oops:

Quote's easy. Just click on it; the software creates a reply box with the message you're replying to in it. If there's more message there than you want, just use your computer's Edit/Copy tools to select the parts you want to dump, then Delete. If you're a quick typist, you can even hand-type '
Thanks to whomever fixed my goof
' to achieve the same appearance of the auto-quote feature without actually using it. I often do that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:01 pm

We don't cook breakfast on weekends. There is neat little bakery a couple of blocks over that makes fresh sausage and cheese kolaches every morning. I usually pick up some of those.

Richard
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:46 am

When we have guests stay over on a Saturday night (whick almost always involves a mandatory home-cooked multiple course gourmet meal with a fair quantity of food-matched fine wines), cooked Sunday breakfast (at whatever hour the guests awake etc.) is the norm. Choice of cooked eggs, crispy bacon, cooked tomatoes on a choice of toasted breads (mostly low GI wholegrains but I have taken a liking to fresh Turkish bread of late) with freshly brewed tea or coffee is the usual, although I've been known to whip up savoury omlettes, grilled sausages and eggs benedict as well on occasion. Just wish someone would do the same for me one morning when I'm hungover! :wink:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:59 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:cheese kolaches every morning. I usually pick up some of those.

Richard

Man, I haven't had cheese kolatchesin years and years and years. Might be 25 or 30 years! :-(
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:38 am

Breakfast can be a wonderful meal. I love it.

I just hate to see it polluted with spurious adjectives and gratuitous adverbs.

Like: "Fresh" "Farm" "Garden" "Perfection" Oh, yeah, and "Creamery." Like butter would come from a goddamn nuclear reactor as opposed to a "creamery."

I could go on, but I'm nauseating myself.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:16 am

I cook "Sunday" breakfast any day that I have the time. I rotate the dishes I cook, and occasionally invent a new one. I won't bake on a working day, but almost anything else can happen on a weekday - French Toast, omelets, pancakes, cooked cereal, scrambled eggs, bagels and lox, etc.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:29 am

ChefJCarey wrote:Breakfast can be a wonderful meal. I love it.

Like: "Fresh" "Farm" "Garden" "Perfection" Oh, yeah, and "Creamery." Like butter would come from a goddamn nuclear reactor as opposed to a "creamery."

I've been trying to refrain from using profanity lately, but Chef, I just fucking love you, man.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:31 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:We basically don't do breakfast. I don't eat it at all and my wife just has cereal. Once in a while, we'll make a batch of waffles but that's about it.

It's no wonder you look like a sick cat that throws up hairballs.

rwj
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:44 am

ChefJCarey wrote:Breakfast can be a wonderful meal. I love it.

Are you really serious......or are you just joking most of the time? And if you are serious, I see nothing wrong with using words like, "farm, fresh, garden, creamery, etc". In all my years of learning how to choose ingredients, cooking methods, etc. all I have heard is to use "the very best ingredients you can buy". I have found this to be true. Farm fresh (picked at the farm, just hours before I bring it home) is better. Food from my "garden: is even better. Plus, do you not believe in supporting the local farms/farmers? Most credible chefs do.

Furthermore, since you are hating to see comments polluted with spurious adjectives and gratuitous adverbs, may I tell you that I am hating to see words in your comments that I consider "bad" words like goddamn. For the record, I am serious.
Next