Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pimienton de Padron

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Pimienton de Padron

by Christina Georgina » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:32 am

I hate all you people who live in agricultural zone 6 or greater ! If my piementons make it to production I will be very fortunate. I have them incubating in my warming drawer- they take consistent temps of 80-90 degrees to germinate and lots of heat and sun to produce. I'll either have cooked pimienton seeds or seedlings - we shall see.
Has anyone successfully grown these ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Pimienton de Padron

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:49 am

Never grown them, but if yours work and you have an excess, please remember your old friend Stuart. :mrgreen:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I hate all you people who live in agricultural zone 6 or greater ! If my piementons make it to production I will be very fortunate. I have them incubating in my warming drawer- they take consistent temps of 80-90 degrees to germinate and lots of heat and sun to produce. I'll either have cooked pimienton seeds or seedlings - we shall see.
Has anyone successfully grown these ?

I bought the seeds and THEN found out I didn't have the warmth to germinate the seeds.

But man oh man, do I love those peppers. Spent a week in Spain going from tavern to tavern, asking "Peppers padron?" If they said no, I moved on. That was in December. They must plant them in like July or August.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:59 pm

I've been very successful over the years by putting whatever the seed flat or container is on a heating pad and making sure I have them covered to create a little greenhouse.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:12 pm

Oh yes, I ordered the seeds, planted at the proper time, put the little babies on heating pads in a sunny window and planted in my garden at the proper time. They took forever to get growing, and longer to produce. I got a good crop from six plants but wondered what all the fuss was about, because the taste was less than I expected. I'm sure something was not right with them. I had jalepenos, eggplant, bell peppers near and they all did well. I don't have much success growing from seed. Good luck with them and keep us posted....take pictures!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:02 am

Yes, they were in the warming drawer, then on the heating pad with a cover. Nice and steamy. I'm still waiting. Perhaps I've just cooked the seeds. You'll hear me yelling for joy if any germinate.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:05 pm

As I recall they took their sweet time to germinate. I remember reading something about heating times, and I only turned my heat pad on at night since it was in a sunny window during the day. On overcast days, the house was warm.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:20 am

Do you hear me yelling yet ? I have lift off !! The little princes have germinated. Now, here's hoping they last to make it to the garden when it's finally warm. Only got down to 28 degrees last night .
Mamma Mia !